Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Old 914 Newspaper Article
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
drew365
My wife was rummaging through some old college stuff and came upon this article in a college paper. It's from April 9, 1970, the author was invited to a press presentation by Porsch and Audi at Riverside Raceway. He talks about various cars that were present but spends most of the article on the 914 and 914/6. It has a picture of Richie Ginther demonstrating a 914/6 and says he is the head of Porsche Racing in the United States. Also has a pic of a 914/6 racer with the windshield removed and a aero screen in it's place. This must have been one of the first modified 914's.
smg914
Car # 1, C production 914-6, looks like it might be one of Alan Johnson's cars.
VegasRacer
The car looks just like the Richie Ginther 914/6 model from Revell.
smg914
Here's a picture of Alan Johnson's car.
davep
That would have to be a very early 914. It was just about then that the cars first made it over the pond. Any idea of the VIN?
URY914
Steve,
Where have you been?

Parade?
Joe Bob
BTW....what IS the rule on the Ginther screens?

Are they mostly banned now unless they are installed way back when?
Dave_Darling
Per SCCA, yes. Windshields are now required, unless the car is "grandfathered" in by having had a Ginther windscreen and a legal entry in the logbook before the ruling came down.

Note that the windscreen must be transparent; most of the commonly-available ones are opaque and therefore not technically SCCA legal anyway. The real Ginther ones were the only ones that were technically legal, and they were big bux.

Now they're mostly irrelevant. (Mostly.)

--DD
smg914
QUOTE (davep @ Jun 14 2005, 05:49 AM)
That would have to be a very early 914. It was just about then that the cars first made it over the pond. Any idea of the VIN?

Yeah this is one of the early 70's 914-6 CP race cars enterd by the "Western Team" VW Pacific, under Richie Ginther. I believe Alan Johnson drove this car for Ginther. I don't know the VIN number.

Eastern team- Peter Gregg of Brumos and co-driver Pete Harrison
Midwest team- Art Bunker; Bob Hindson and Kendall Noah
Western team- Richie Ginther; Alan Johnson and Elliot Forbes Robinson
davep
Do we know where any of these cars are now?
What about any history of the cars in the mid to late 70's?
smg914
QUOTE (URY914 @ Jun 14 2005, 06:16 AM)
Steve,
Where have you been?

Parade?

Yo Paul.

I've been learking around but I've been focusing on my new Martin D-18V acoustic guitar. I practice about 3 hours a day. I'm also taking voice lessons. I've been playing the guitar for about 40 years but when I started playing live I decided to get serious about it. I'll be playing at the Porsche Club Wine tasting and the Porsche Club Mike Kwasin Christmas Party this year. I also play at The Hunters Green Cafe and I may be playing at a resturant off Dale Mabry soon. Janie and I are leaving for Parade on the 23rd.

Steve
smg914
QUOTE (davep @ Jun 14 2005, 10:44 AM)
Do we know where any of these cars are now?
What about any history of the cars in the mid to late 70's?

I believe my friend here in Florida, Claus Mueller has one of the Ginther cars.

Here is a picture of the ex-Bob Hindson car currently owned by Ray Stewart. The VIN number of this car is: 9140432195.
redshift
QUOTE (smg914 @ Jun 14 2005, 02:49 PM)
I've been learking around but I've been focusing on my new Martin D-18V acoustic guitar. I practice about 3 hours a day. I'm also taking voice lessons. I've been playing the guitar for about 40 years but when I started playing live I decided to get serious about it.

smilie_pokal.gif ...

unsure.gif 40 years and decided to get serious!?

Oh man, I could rib you for hours.. smile.gif

M
smg914
Quote: 40 years and decided to get serious!?
Oh man, I could rib you for hours..

Yeah, I can understand why that sounds a little strange. I play totally by ear and for the longest time I only knew portions of songs. I was the master of the name that tune form of guitar playing. Then about 5 years ago I purchased a PA system and it for some reason it inspired me to learn complete songs. I now can play and sing over 100 songs.
hmeeder
Here's a shot off the back of Alan Johnson's "Driving in Competition" book. Shows him at the wheel of the #1 car and kind of shows half of the windscreen. As you can see, it is transparent but smoke tinted. He has many other shots of him at the wheel of this car and shows shots of the #2, but they are in grainy black and white. All of them are of the smoked windscreen. I hadn't seen any of a clear one, but the Revell model seems to imply that there was a clear windscreen as well.

user posted image
redshift
I think the Revell model implies that they didn't tint model windows.

wink.gif

M
markb
QUOTE (redshift @ Jun 14 2005, 02:08 PM)
I think the Revell model implies that they didn't tint model windows.

wink.gif

M

agree.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.