Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Video - 914's racing at Monticello Raceway...Papa Smurf and others
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
naro914
For those that don't frequent the Paddock forum, here a video recap of my race a few weeks ago at Monticello Motor Club with PCA in the new Vintage Group. If any of you race a 914 (or 1983 and older 911), you should check out PCA's Vintage Group. Good clean racing, we are in our own group (so no cups, 944's, boxsters, caymans, etc), just us older cars. Makes for a great site and great racing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_WAtrOBb60
76-914
Cool. Looks like the only difference between 3rd and 2nd was a couple of missed shifts. beerchug.gif
naro914
QUOTE(76-914 @ Jul 30 2018, 10:42 AM) *

Cool. Looks like the only difference between 3rd and 2nd was a couple of missed shifts. beerchug.gif

Yep...I was having a horrible time shifting from 2nd to 3rd all weekend. Not to mention 3rd gear is WAY too tall for that car/track (and 2nd way too short). Trans is getting a complete overhaul with new gear ratio's this winter at Dawe's.

One of the issues I think we have with 2-3 shift is chassis flex. In reality, Papa Smurf has no real stiffening - just the standard stiffening kit around the rear wheel well and suspension points. But with all the torque and grip this car has, there is no support for the trans mount area to the shock towers - and the shock towers are not tied to the roll cage. this can make a huge difference keeping the engine and trans stable and not twisting at the trans mount points, thus helping shifting.

Another winter project....
914Toy
There are few if any other life experiences that are as exciting, invigorating, glorious fun, and as rewarding (for all the hard work and money invested) as 23 minutes club racing on a beautiful challenging track like this one, with a fellow competitor obviously equally skilled to oneself (passing each other several times) and with "gentleman" racing skills shown by these fellows. If you haven't, you should try it sometime beerchug.gif
76-914
QUOTE(914Toy @ Jul 30 2018, 12:50 PM) *

There are few if any other life experiences that are as exciting, invigorating, glorious fun, and as rewarding (for all the hard work and money invested) as 23 minutes club racing on a beautiful challenging track like this one, with a fellow competitor obviously equally skilled to oneself (passing each other several times) and with "gentleman" racing skills shown by these fellows. If you haven't, you should try it sometime beerchug.gif

No new adrenaline games at this age but thanks to Bob & Nadine's Video's I can experience some of thrill, vicariously. beerchug.gif
SirAndy
driving.gif cheer.gif smilie_pokal.gif
914-300Hemi
Thank you for sharing. It was a great battle between you and the blue 914.
smilie_pokal.gif
naro914
QUOTE(914Toy @ Jul 30 2018, 03:50 PM) *

Totally agree!! beerchug.gif

This race weekend was without a doubt the most enjoyable battle I've ever had with another racer. Steve is a very good driver with an exceptionally well set up car. His gearing is perfect for the car and track. What my car gains in HP it loses in gear ratio and lack of limited slip, so it balanced us out perfectly. Not once during the 3 races did I look at my lap times - I never had the chance to take my eyes off his bumper or my mirror... we were paddocked next to each other so we talked alot...basically agreeing that whoever made the last mistake, lost!

Sadly there was no video of Race 2...camera turned off after 21 seconds....battle was as good if not better. I think we each had the 'lead' 4 separate times that race.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.