Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Best fuel pump for a 1911
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jesse7flying
When I bought my roller 71 project, it came with the original 1.7 (which had developed a knock) with D-jet, and a 1911 which had been run on carbs. Unfortunately, the carbs had been removed. I have sourced a set of Weber 40 IDF carbs from a World member and have gone through them to replace and clean up any suspect parts. I'm now in search of a low pressure fuel pump to mate up with the carbs. What options have you carb folks gone through and what seems to work well? I'm also curious to know if folks have used pressure regulators in their setups. Any particular recommendations? I would love to fire up the 1911 and see how it runs!
Thanks--Jesse.
BTW, I did a search and found a great thread on tuning the carbs, but not a lot on the pump used FWIW
r_towle
Redline Webber (google that)
Get the Weber IDF tuning book (Amazon)

Www.aircooled.net has the best info, guides, and known good setups.
Use their data, and buy from them so they stick around!!!
Mark Henry
Do you have the FI fuel pump?

PMO has a regulator that uses any fuel pump including the FI pump, only thing different is it has to run a return fuel line just like an 914 FI system.

http://www.patrickmotorsports.com/part/fue...arbed-fittings/[s]
jesse7flying
Thanks for the responses gents. I've got the book, in fact a couple of them and they've been very helpful. I have what appears to be the original three port fuel pump. Aside from cleaning up the grime, is there a way to test it without causing any damage to it? Ideally, I could use the current pump with a regulator to get me down to the target 2.5 psi needed for the catbs.
GeorgeRud
I’d choose and mount a Pierburg low pressure pump down by the steering rack. Correct pressure and corrects any vapor lock issues at the same time.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
the 3 lb faucet pump has always worked well, and they are very inexpensive

QUOTE(jesse7flying @ Jul 30 2018, 07:21 AM) *

When I bought my roller 71 project, it came with the original 1.7 (which had developed a knock) with D-jet, and a 1911 which had been run on carbs. Unfortunately, the carbs had been removed. I have sourced a set of Weber 40 IDF carbs from a World member and have gone through them to replace and clean up any suspect parts. I'm now in search of a low pressure fuel pump to mate up with the carbs. What options have you carb folks gone through and what seems to work well? I'm also curious to know if folks have used pressure regulators in their setups. Any particular recommendations? I would love to fire up the 1911 and see how it runs!
Thanks--Jesse.
BTW, I did a search and found a great thread on tuning the carbs, but not a lot on the pump used FWIW
Mark Henry
QUOTE(jesse7flying @ Jul 30 2018, 04:54 PM) *

Thanks for the responses gents. I've got the book, in fact a couple of them and they've been very helpful. I have what appears to be the original three port fuel pump. Aside from cleaning up the grime, is there a way to test it without causing any damage to it? Ideally, I could use the current pump with a regulator to get me down to the target 2.5 psi needed for the catbs.

The PMO regulator, Aeromotive 13301, etc, a by-pass or return style regulator is the only way to use the stock FI pump.
Any 600+hp carb fuel system would be required use a by-pass fuel system, so no problem with lower power engines.
Because the fuel by-passes, therefore cool fuel circulating all the time, there should be no vapor lock issues.
3 to 4 psi for webers.

Most naysayers to a bypass system don't understand how a fuel pump works.
Only time you would run into issue would be a huge flow oversized pump that would need a 3/8" return line. I'm talking way more than what a stock pump flows, like 400+gph.

To test the pump it must have gas (never run dry), but you can just run a couple jumper wires to the pump.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.