Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Stainless steel 2.0 headers
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
nditiz1
UPDATE - Yes

So I'm trying to get a better seal on for my headers to heads. I can't weld, yet. So I found a SS welder nearby. Looking at the exhaust tubes through the heat exchanger hole I see surface rust. Are the tubes themselves also SS or just the casing for the heat exchangers? Can I just use regular mild steel welding?

IPB Image
mb911
Yes they are stainless.. Stainless rusts as well and depending on alloy will lead into how quickly they rust. 400 series rusts quicker then 300 series and different uses. Those were likely 304 ss
nditiz1
Thanks for the quick answer.
barefoot
QUOTE(mb911 @ Jul 30 2018, 12:19 PM) *

Yes they are stainless.. Stainless rusts as well and depending on alloy will lead into how quickly they rust. 400 series rusts quicker then 300 series and different uses. Those were likely 304 ss

400 series SS is magnetic and 300 series SS is non-magnetic.

400 stuff (12% Chrome ,balance mostly iron) is what SS knives are made from and can be heat treated to obtain hardness, rusts easily

300 stuff (18% Chrome, 12% nickel, balance mostly iron) does not respond to heat treatment for hardness, much more rust resistant

Note that there about a dozen grades of each with slightly varying minor elements
914_teener
QUOTE(nditiz1 @ Jul 30 2018, 08:41 AM) *

UPDATE - Yes

So I'm trying to get a better seal on for my headers to heads. I can't weld, yet. So I found a SS welder nearby. Looking at the exhaust tubes through the heat exchanger hole I see surface rust. Are the tubes themselves also SS or just the casing for the heat exchangers? Can I just use regular mild steel welding?

IPB Image

Be careful.

Take careful measurements of the centers for the mounting tabs and the tubes on these.

I used an old head when my tabs broke off like this. Even then a had to do some manual stress reliving. (Dead blow hammer).

The tubes WILL move when you weld them. That is why the welds break....they were lousy to begin with. Weld the tabs on BOTH sides using TIG.

BTDT
mb911
QUOTE(barefoot @ Jul 30 2018, 10:41 AM) *

QUOTE(mb911 @ Jul 30 2018, 12:19 PM) *

400 series SS is magnetic and 300 series SS is non-magnetic.

400 stuff (12% Chrome ,balance mostly iron) is what SS knives are made from and can be heat treated to obtain hardness, rusts easily

300 stuff (18% Chrome, 12% nickel, balance mostly iron) does not respond to heat treatment for hardness, much more rust resistant

Note that there about a dozen grades of each with slightly varying minor elements

Yup I know but didn't want to over complicate the thread.. Below is a sample of my 304 ss heat exchangers.Click to view attachment
Mark Henry
Some early SSI's had mild steel muffler flanges, the rest was SS.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.