Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914-4 Rear Axle fell out
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Hoppie944s2
Went for a five mile ride yesterday and when I was making a left hand turn I heard a pop. I thought the car popped out of gear. It shifted fine and there was no problem with the clutch. long story short I had it towed home and when I look underneath I saw the axle on the transmission was hanging there with all the bolts intact. I need to take a closer look when I have time but not sure why this would happen . Any ideas or thoughts? Axle looks fine.
yeahmag
Broken CV joint. Was this the "inner" (transmission side) joint?

-Aaron
Hoppie944s2
It was on the rear passenger side
Hoppie944s2
Yes, on the trans side
Hoppie944s2
Is this a big job? Was going to have it towed to mechanics but didn't know what was exactly wrong and what the expense would be.
yeahmag
Shoot a picture and upload it here. Shouldn't be a big job if that's all that's wrong.
rjames
Bolts can loosen up over time, too. you need to remove the axle, disassemble the CVs and inspect (and likely replace).

If the condition on the one that failed is suspect, I'd remove the other axle and inspect it, too. At the very least make sure the bolts are torqued to spec (make sure to do both ends of the axle).

Not necessarily a difficult job, but definitely a pain in the ass.
At the very least you'll need new schnorr safety washers for the bolts when reassembling and grease. Lots of grease.

There's a very detailed youtube video of a 914 axle rebuild that walks you through the entire process.
mepstein
I'm pretty sure I have a good set of axles with cv's already on them. You can have them for free. I also have an extra 12 point bit (its not torx) to screw in the bolts. PM me your address and we can work something out. Shipping is probably pretty cheap since you are close. I'm also heading up north soon so there are options. mark

I probably have the right size schnoor washers if I can find the little envelope with them. All my stuff is 911 parts or will be soon so I have no need for 914 axles.
Hoppie944s2
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jul 30 2018, 10:45 AM) *

I'm pretty sure I have a good set of axles with cv's already on them. You can have them for free. I also have an extra 12 point bit (its not torx) to screw in the bolts. PM me your address and we can work something out. Shipping is probably pretty cheap since you are close. I'm also heading up north soon so there are options. mark

I probably have the right size schnoor washers if I can find the little envelope with them. All my stuff is 911 parts or will be soon so I have no need for 914 axles.

This is what I love about this site....great people always willing to help out! I will PM my address . Thanks again

Porschef
Had you removed them recently for any reason? I had the same thing happen after an engine swap, fortunately I was only going about 20 mph.

Yes, be sure to use new washers and torque properly. And don't add a gasket if there hadn't been one before. dry.gif

Nice offer, Mark. smile.gif
Hoppie944s2
Have had the car for 4 years and never had any problems! Was shocked when I got under the car and saw this.
Chip
QUOTE(rjames @ Jul 30 2018, 12:45 PM) *

Bolts can loosen up over time, too. you need to remove the axle, disassemble the CVs and inspect (and likely replace).

If the condition on the one that failed is suspect, I'd remove the other axle and inspect it, too. At the very least make sure the bolts are torqued to spec (make sure to do both ends of the axle).

Not necessarily a difficult job, but definitely a pain in the ass.
At the very least you'll need new schnorr safety washers for the bolts when reassembling and grease. Lots of grease.

There's a very detailed youtube video of a 914 axle rebuild that walks you through the entire process.

What iisn't a pain in the ass with these cars? w00t.gif
euro911
Driving them poke.gif

Also ... agree.gif ... very nice gesture, Mark thumb3d.gif
90quattrocoupe
Had this happen to me years ago. When I took out the axle, I discovered the CV cage was split down the middle. Replaced it. A year later it broke the same way. After that one it was fine.

Most of the power is transmitted through the passenger side of the trans, as you have an open diff. So the passenger side gets most of the stress. If you have an LSD or Quaife the power is transmitted more evenly, side to side.

Greg W.
Chris H.
QUOTE(euro911 @ Aug 1 2018, 02:17 AM) *

Driving them poke.gif

Also ... agree.gif ... very nice gesture, Mark thumb3d.gif

agree.gif Kudos Mark! You're a good man.

Yeah breaking a CV while you're driving is so alarming. Huge BAM sound and then it's like you're on a bike with no chain on it. Pedal all you want...it's not going anywhere.
euro911
It's a lot worse when an old [911/912] Nadella shaft comes loose yikes.gif
worn
QUOTE(yeahmag @ Jul 30 2018, 10:42 AM) *

Shoot a picture and upload it here. Shouldn't be a big job if that's all that's wrong.

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
At least to me, though it is clear you are getting some help.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.