Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: some moron backed into my 6
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
nine11speedster
Guys,

Very unpleasant experience....anyway, here is the damage.

there is a dent in my original bumper.

Question :

1. can this be "repaired" or I should look for a replacement bumper?

2. where to look for a replacement

3. if it can be repaired, anyone has any idea on cost? I need to ask the other party to pay for this....

Thanks everyone..

Carson
dr914@autoatlanta.com
repair repair repair!!!!!! the bumper shop can straighten and rechrome, hope you caught him

QUOTE(nine11speedster @ Jul 31 2018, 10:30 AM) *

Guys,

Very unpleasant experience....anyway, here is the damage.

there is a dent in my original bumper.

Question :

1. can this be "repaired" or I should look for a replacement bumper?

2. where to look for a replacement

3. if it can be repaired, anyone has any idea on cost? I need to ask the other party to pay for this....

Thanks everyone..

Carson
dr914@autoatlanta.com
probably 400 to repair and rechrome
plus shipping both ways
SirAndy
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Jul 31 2018, 10:31 AM) *
repair repair repair!!!!!!

agree.gif

Those early bumpers are rare and hard to find, it would be much more expensive to replace then it will be to repair.
shades.gif
dr914@autoatlanta.com
and although the early 70 style rear bumper is readily available in stainless steel, there is no way that one should EVER put aftermarket parts on a six unless all hope is lost

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jul 31 2018, 10:48 AM) *

repair repair repair!!!!!!

agree.gif

Those early bumpers are rare and hard to find, it would be much more expensive to replace then it will be to repair.
shades.gif

euro911
We had a 'group buy' bumper repair/plating from The Bumper Shop in Los Angeles several years ago. They did a really nice job on a set of 914 bumpers for me, but it looks like they have some bad reviews on the WWW these days.

(323) 585-3865. 828 E Florence Ave, Los Angeles, CA 90001

There's also Supreme Plating: (310) 671-3640. 330 E Beach Ave, Inglewood, CA 90302. I've had them plate custom Harley parts (show chrome stuff). Great plating, but they were a little slow at getting them done. I would go to Supreme again if I needed any additional plating or powder-coating done.

gandalf_025
If the bumper is the extent of the damage.
You should go buy a lottery ticket..
You lucked out BIG TIME...
ValcoOscar
Simple...come over, I have an early mint rear bumper you can borrow.

I am about to chrome several bumpers so I'm sure I can get your bumper repaired and chromed under $400. Problem is my chrome shop takes about 4-5 weeks but results are well worth it.

Let me know, I'm in SoCal (90621)

beerchug.gif

Oscar

gandalf_025
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Jul 31 2018, 01:52 PM) *

and although the early 70 style rear bumper is readily available in stainless steel, there is no way that one should EVER put aftermarket parts on a six unless all hope is lost

Wow, that is good to know.... Guess I’ll trash my 914 Rubber
Bumper tops, dash top and every rubber seal I’ve bought and
Buy NOS stuff from you at your prices...
jim_hoyland
If you insure through Hagerty, they will help make you whole !
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(gandalf_025 @ Jul 31 2018, 02:10 PM) *

QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Jul 31 2018, 01:52 PM) *

Wow, that is good to know.... Guess I’ll trash my 914 Rubber
Bumper tops, dash top and every rubber seal I’ve bought and
Buy NOS stuff from you at your prices...

Really? I think most of us know what he means and I agree. Now go take a nap and get over yourself. (crap comments like that are completely unnecessary)(I am referreing to gandalf just for clarification)
TonyA
If you were from Philly, NJ or NY you would have punched yourself in both eyes and fell on the ground and wait for a ambulance. Phone do we cheat them and How attorneys. Then you could have bought a new car. Forgetaboutit

Repair
r_towle
QUOTE(ValcoOscar @ Jul 31 2018, 01:59 PM) *

Simple...come over, I have an early mint rear bumper you can borrow.

I am about to chrome several bumpers so I'm sure I can get your bumper repaired and chromed under $400. Problem is my chrome shop takes about 4-5 weeks but results are well worth it.

Let me know, I'm in SoCal (90621)

beerchug.gif

Oscar

Hell of a nice offer!
burton73
QUOTE(euro911 @ Jul 31 2018, 10:52 AM) *

We had a 'group buy' bumper repair/plating from The Bumper Shop in Los Angeles several years ago. They did a really nice job on a set of 914 bumpers for me, but it looks like they have some bad reviews on the WWW these days.

(323) 585-3865. 828 E Florence Ave, Los Angeles, CA 90001

There's also Supreme Plating: (310) 671-3640. 330 E Beach Ave, Inglewood, CA 90302. I've had them plate custom Harley parts (show chrome stuff). Great plating, but they were a little slow at getting them done. I would go to Supreme again if I needed any additional plating or powder-coating done.

The bumper shop has moved to 13609 Crenshaw Blvd. also, very close to my shop just 15 min .

I think I will stop at Supreme Plating as it is 400 feet from my shop.

Bob B
tomh
Rich at HPH in Redwood City has brand new stainless bumpers.
mepstein
QUOTE(tomh @ Jul 31 2018, 05:34 PM) *

Rich at HPH in Redwood City has brand new stainless bumpers.

A couple years ago he was charging $2500 for the pair.
Mikey914
Very repairable. Just check the trunk and substructure for cracks Hopefully all the damage is in the bumper. Probably ok, but do check.
nine11speedster
Wow, guys; thank you so much! This is great info.

Unfortunately, my situation is very complicated. I only visit california once a year for 4 - 6 weeks (and I m into my 4th week now).
I may need to take some of your offers and seek help to get it fixed while i m away.

But truly thankful for all the very useful info!

Best,
Carson
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(nine11speedster @ Jul 31 2018, 07:02 PM) *

Unfortunately, my situation is very complicated. I only visit california once a year for 4 - 6 weeks (and I m into my 4th week now).
I may need to take some of your offers and seek help to get it fixed while i m away.

Best,
Carson

Carson, Are you planning to attend Rennsport in September ?
mepstein
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Jul 31 2018, 09:40 PM) *

Very repairable. Just check the trunk and substructure for cracks Hopefully all the damage is in the bumper. Probably ok, but do check.

Good advice.
nine11speedster
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Jul 31 2018, 07:07 PM) *

QUOTE(nine11speedster @ Jul 31 2018, 07:02 PM) *

Best,
Carson

Jim, Yes! I will. And i was planning to take the 6 but now this happened.... sad.gif
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(nine11speedster @ Jul 31 2018, 07:14 PM) *

QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Jul 31 2018, 07:07 PM) *

Jim, Yes! I will. And i was planning to take the 6 but now this happened.... sad.gif

Brings back memories of 1995. Spent months getting my 914 ready for Parade in Portland, only to be rear-ended by a Camry the ONE night I decided to take it on a dry run down to San Jose—two weeks before Parade. Rear bumper was bent, as was the panel between the lights. One taillight dead, but the trunk and quarters were okay. Sent my bumper and another one I had in to Stockton bumper, who said they could have it back to me in time. They called and didn't like either of mine, so they used one of theirs they had lying around. Turned out to be a 1970 bumper.

So you should have time to get it fixed—but if they can't do it, drive it to Rennsport and then get it fixed. It's pretty minor, and I'd sure rather see the car than not see it. Looks purty... wub.gif
cary

probably 400 to repair and rechrome

For some reason I thought it was way more than that.
Matt and I met a shop owner at the Forest Grove Concours. I'll have to drop in and get some pricing. There are quite a few 914's in PDX that need some bumper love. Starting to flake in places.
Cairo94507
Sorry to see that but you really dodged a bullet with only that damage. I agree that once the bumper comes off you need to carefully and fully inspect the body for any damage, cracks, etc. Again, glad that was not a harder hit.

As much as that dent bothers you, I would wait until after Rennsport and then get it repaired so you do not have a time-crunch stress to deal with. beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.