Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Period Correct Radios
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914Sixer
I thought I would hit the highlights about restored radios regardless of brand. Just going to give you ballpark numbers. Numbers are for comparison. All the parts may not be needed depending on the radio you buy.

Basic Radio $50-$300
Basic Repair Service $125-$200
Repair Parts $100
Radio Face Plate $60-$150
Front Volume Knobs $50
Rear Tone Knobs $30
Shaft Nuts $30
Radio Mounting Brackets $50
Rear Mounting Bracket $30
914 Dash bracket $40
Speaker Plugs $30

Happy hunting biggrin.gif
dr914@autoatlanta.com
We have he factory restored Blaupunkt Frankfurts period correct in am fm or am hmm stereo in stock for 500 or 650 complete with an iPod connector and the correct faceplate knobs nuts etc

QUOTE(914Sixer @ Aug 1 2018, 06:21 AM) *

I thought I would hit the highlights about restored radios regardless of brand. Just going to give you ballpark numbers. Numbers are for comparison. All the parts may not be needed depending on the radio you buy.

Basic Radio $50-$300
Basic Repair Service $125-$200
Repair Parts $100
Radio Face Plate $60-$150
Front Volume Knobs $50
Rear Tone Knobs $30
Shaft Nuts $30
Radio Mounting Brackets $50
Rear Mounting Bracket $30
914 Dash bracket $40
Speaker Plugs $30

Happy hunting biggrin.gif
DRPHIL914
i have been watching prices and looking for a used one and they have about priced themselves out of market for me. if i need a new rechrome bumper worse, and its about the same price guess which thing i am getting first, or ... whatever- name your piece . I need brakes i need bumpers i need etc but i don't NEED a radio, i am about ready to just put the blank plate in that spot and say screw it for radio.
nothing against you , your prices are way fair for sure Mark and those radios always look great!, but in the scheme of things, unless a person is doing a full concourse restoration or has a survivor etc i just don't get it- now i am tempted to buy a gutted nothing that just looks good on the outside to stick in the spot though, let me know if you get one of those. i just think its the same as a lot of stuff, it gets rare and the prices start going up., supply and demand. you should keep a box full , in 3-4 years you will be sell ing them for $1k minimum if this keeps going like it has.
rhodyguy
I've got one of "those" Phil. Even has "PORSCHE" on the cover plate. Include in the pictures?
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Aug 1 2018, 01:54 PM) *

I've got one of "those" Phil. Even has "PORSCHE" on the cover plate. Include in the pictures?

sure
mepstein
Yea, I’m keeping the old radios that come with my cars in case I want something to fill the hole but if I do have music, it will be wireless from my phone to a box hidden up in the dash.
rhodyguy
That's the modern way. Someday I'll have a phone to do that with? That would be a no. Satellite radio would be nice.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
those modern radios are as inexpensive as can be and work great, hands free, bluetooth etc, My son just put one in his 944 and it was about 75 bucks and does everything right, even looks conservative. These fit right into the dash as well

QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Aug 1 2018, 02:23 PM) *

That's the modern way. Someday I'll have a phone to do that with? That would be a no. Satellite radio would be nice.

bbrock
QUOTE(Philip W. @ Aug 1 2018, 11:50 AM) *

i have been watching prices and looking for a used one and they have about priced themselves out of market for me.

Same here. I like the idea of a Frankfurt with a Bluetooth module plugged into the DIN, but the price and the fact that I like to listen to the radio and prefer modern tuner technology has me leaning toward one of these from Woody's Custom Shop with Bluetooth built in. There are other retro style radios around, but these seem to most closely pay tribute to the Blaupunkt and Becker styles:

IPB Image

IPB Image
914 RZ-1
This website has retro radios:
https://www.crutchfield.com/cpg/RetroSound-Radios.html
914_7T3
I was running this set-up prior to the tear down for restoration. Classic Look, Modern Convenience!

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...l=awesome+audio
Mike Fitton
I say either put an original period correct Blaupunkt, Motorola or Becker radio in or a new modern radio . I would not put one of Woody's fake retro radios in, if you want something modern then go all the way. When I drove my 6 down to Ockeenerfest, 11 hrs. each way I never turned my radio on.
bbrock
I want this! Only a few $ grand blink.gif

IPB Image
https://www.classicdriver.com/en/article/be...o-hi-tech-retro
bbrock
QUOTE(Mike Fitton @ Aug 2 2018, 06:42 AM) *

I say either put an original period correct Blaupunkt, Motorola or Becker radio in or a new modern radio . I would not put one of Woody's fake retro radios in, if you want something modern then go all the way. When I drove my 6 down to Ockeenerfest, 11 hrs. each way I never turned my radio on.

I would be okay with going full modern, but have you shopped for a modern car radio lately? They all look like disco freak shows. I'm not putting that ugly shit in my car no matter how good it sounds.
theer
A Becker from the early Boxster (also 911's of the same vintage?) look great... understated, but modern.. even says PORSCHE on it.. and has a fancy red blinking light, insinuating an alarm.

Can also easily be made to connect to your phone through the aux channel.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.