Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: List of 914 / Air-Cooled Mechanics/Shops
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
VG-914
type.gif
Was searching through 914W threads for a make-up of decent mechanics around the US that work on 914's and other air cooled vehicles. I was recently caught well out of my home turf with my '73 914, and managed to find one with my phone, but he was closed on Sunday. Not that I want everybody open on Sunday... but I thought it would be nice to have a source for a good list.
So.. thought I'd start a thread on the subject.
My list and my opinions (Not in any particular order or under any influence):
1) Wedge Vee Dub: 4028 N 24th Street, Phoenix, AZ 85016 - Paul: Mechanical work - Usually pretty busy, tough to get a quick appointment - but very fair and helpful.
2) AZ Street Custom: 1415 E University Dr, Su C, Phoenix, AZ 85034 - Martin A.: Body & Paint - reliable, quality work, fair prices.
3) CFR - Tangerine Racing: 101 Loomis St., Manchester, CT 06042 - Chris F.: some awesome 914 and other Porsche products (great fuel line replacement system for the 914), and good mechanics. Often busy, and perhaps not the best prices... but right for the location.
4) Allied Motor Works: 6820 W Sylvania Ave A, Sylvania, OH 43560 (Closed Sat/Sun but usually there! - long history of air cooled work, including 914's - small shop)

Would love to see folks add to this list in ONE location...

Thanks welder.gif
VaccaRabite
Translog: Zimms Rd, York PA.
GeorgeRud
Here in the Midwest, we’re lucky to have 914Ltd (Brad Mayeur) in E. Peoria, IL, Perfect Power (Sol Snyderman) in Buffalo Grove, IL, Precision Porsche (Larry Marzano) in Spring Grove, IL, and Midwest Eurosport (George Weatherud) in Bensenville, IL. Probably lots more, but these are the folks I’ve used and trust.
falcor75
TheDubshop in Seattle
Optimusglen
Further Performance in Minneapolis, MN is great. Very knowledgeable and fair pricing.
orthobiz
As a true anacrophilic lover of analog stuff I have frequented the fmtunerinfo.com website where they have a list of preferred repair places for tuners. A short paragraph on each with links and numbers. It is a section devoted to this, not a thread.

Would be useful to have that here. Would probably ruffle some feathers but useful nonetheless.

Paul
ConeDodger
QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ Aug 3 2018, 12:20 AM) *

Here in the Midwest, we’re lucky to have 914Ltd (Brad Mayeur) in E. Peoria, IL, Perfect Power (Sol Snyderman) in Buffalo Grove, IL, Precision Porsche (Larry Marzano) in Spring Grove, IL, and Midwest Eurosport (George Weatherud) in Bensenville, IL. Probably lots more, but these are the folks I’ve used and trust.

Wow! How are you missing Original Customs in Grand Rapids?
GeorgeRud
If someone with much better computer skills than me could start a list by state, it could be a valuable resource to have. I only included folks I have had personal dealings with, but there are many others. Even Porsche is trying to get into the game with their ‘Classics’ dealerships.
914 Danny

I highly recommend POWERTECH, 311 West Main Street Rockaway, NJ 07866
973-586-3210.

Keith Peare and Mike Carr are two Porsche trained mechanics there and are true 914 racer guys who very knowledgeable about our beloved teeners especially for original FI repair.

sb914
I never give references any more, it always bites me in the ass! Everyone has different standards. I'm a tile contractor, and my name is all I have, if a client asks me if a know a good electrician,painter, Plummer or whatever trade, I always tell them know.
You can't control someone else's work-work ethic.
sb914
Pch garage, sunset beach!
Ask for hector. beer3.gif
cashiersjm
European Motor Werks Ask for Carey
Hendersonville, North Carolina
828-694-3868
http://www.europeanmotorwerks.net/
StarBear
QUOTE(914 Danny @ Aug 3 2018, 09:17 PM) *

I highly recommend POWERTECH, 311 West Main Street Rockaway, NJ 07866
973-586-3210.

Keith Peare and Mike Carr are two Porsche trained mechanics there and are true 914 racer guys who very knowledgeable about our beloved teeners especially for original FI repair.

Oh, that's where Mike Carr is these days; haven't heard/seen of him for years. They are well known and (I've heard) well respected in the Northern NJ area. Have my own reference (another thread response) below.
StarBear
Also, Jay at The Popular Mechanic in Chatham, NJ - right down the street from Paterak Bros.
daytona
Aerodynamics in Daytona, Florida. 386-304-0380. Lou Verdiales is the owner.
I highly recommend it. He takes care of all my cars. From 914 to CaymanS and all the others in between.
Lou is very sympathetic to car's vintage and owners.
I think it would be cool if someone could put this list on a spread sheet and permanently nail this thread. You just don't know when you will need mechanical assistance out of your area.
Mikey914
Allan at A&P Auto on 82nd in Portland Oregon

Factory trained Audi and Porsche mechanic, but do to legal reasons he has to go by A&P. Known him since the 80s, very familiar with 914s.

707 SE 82nd Ave, Portland, OR 97216
(503) 254-7310

website https://www.aandpspecialties.com/
Wyvern
Oakland California.

Gavin AutoWerks
7920 Capwell Dr,
Oakland CA
510-633-0620

http://www.gavinautowerks.com/

Highly recommended. 1 man operation. He is an enthusiast who cares. Tells it like it is, fair honest.

ClayPerrine
Mayo Performance
1521 Baccarac Ct
Euless, TX 76040

Ed Mayo is no longer the owner, and is partially retired (basically he works when he wants), the shop is very skilled with 914 repairs. Ed Mayo is also the PCA National Tech Expert for early 911s and 914s. Which means he answers the 914 questions sent into Panorama, and he writes the early 911 and 914 tech quiz for Parade every year.
StratPlayer
PMB Performance, Sandy, Utah
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.