Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: An Open Letter To 914Rubber
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Ansbacher
Dear Mikey at 914Rubber,

At this moment I am only speaking for myself, but there might very well be other 914World members who are in the same boat and agree with the following proposal:

Many of us with split, tattered, or otherwise unbecoming Rear Targa Pads have been patiently waiting for the "correct finish" 914Rubber version to be available. In the interim you have made available the AA version. For those of us who truly want the "correct" version but are sort of in limbo as we wait for their availability, would you consider a program whereby if we buy an AA version from you, you would then offer a reasonable trade-in/purchase price when the correct version is ready for market? This would give members a chance to spruce up their cars in the near term knowing that part of their initial investment in an AA version will go toward a correct version eventually.

Regardless of how you respond to this idea, I am extremely grateful for the products you make available and wish you continued success.

Ansbacher
Tampa Bay Florida
'74 914 2.0L

dr914@autoatlanta.com
How ridiculous, who can really tell? Everyone is recovering their seats with the 72-74 914 smooth vinyl even though the 75 76 is a different grain. Too many reproduction parts are not correct and we are using them anyway, the difference not that much. Even the 475 dollar re skin from just dashes does not match! Porsche at one time had new factory dash pads that did not match at all!!!!!!
If one has a 914 that is that perfect, then keep searching for NOS. Look at the pictures and decide yourself.
If you are using Mark's dash you can use the rear roll bar pad he sells. If his dash is good enough, then the rear roll bar pad he sells is good enough as well. Here is a picture of one we just installed (along with Mark's dash) on a very nice 914. The owner is delighted.

QUOTE(Ansbacher @ Aug 2 2018, 12:47 PM) *

Dear Mikey at 914Rubber,

At this moment I am only speaking for myself, but there might very well be other 914World members who are in the same boat and agree with the following proposal:

Many of us with split, tattered, or otherwise unbecoming Rear Targa Pads have been patiently waiting for the "correct finish" 914Rubber version to be available. In the interim you have made available the AA version. For those of us who truly want the "correct" version but are sort of in limbo as we wait for their availability, would you consider a program whereby if we buy an AA version from you, you would then offer a reasonable trade-in/purchase price when the correct version is ready for market? This would give members a chance to spruce up their cars in the near term knowing that part of their initial investment in an AA version will go toward a correct version eventually.

Regardless of how you respond to this idea, I am extremely grateful for the products you make available and wish you continued success.

Ansbacher
Tampa Bay Florida
'74 914 2.0L
Click to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment

Thank you Mark for making the dashes, even though they are not exact!!!!!
rhodyguy
Are hole plugs offered with matching texture?

They seem close enough. 100% better than an old tattered piece.

Future return for some sort of credit? Then the vendors are stuck with used, not quite right units while trying to recoup their tooling, manufacturing and keeping the doors open costs. They would have to be discounted at a pretty steep rate. Don't know about OR or GA, but in WA there would be a quarterly tax on the used inventory sitting on shelves. No good.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Aug 2 2018, 01:16 PM) *

Are hole plugs offered with matching texture?

They seem close enough. 100% better than an old tattered piece.

Future return for some sort of credit? Then the vendors are stuck with used, not quite right units while trying to recoup their tooling, manufacturing and keeping the doors open costs. They would have to be discounted at a pretty steep rate. Don't know about OR or GA, but in WA there would be a quarterly tax on the used inventory sitting on shelves. No good.

Actually the factory made the hole plugs in different textures initially as well, the 75 76 were a different texture a milder look, of course all superseded to one now.

We even have different dye lots on the NOS factory carpet pieces we have here. Yes frustrating but not glaringly bad

One should go to the Peterson museum and look at Brutus the 916 and see the differences, still a beautiful car
mepstein
I just looked at my 914 rubber dash pad next to my pristine 71 dash. Both look great. The 914 rubber one looks more like rubber than vinyl. It has the low gloss look of a bumper pad. Much better than a cracked dash but might not look right next to the other padding if you are concerned about that kind of stuff. Even if I was picky, I could easily live with a similar targa pad since it spends most of its time hidden under the top or behind my head while I’m driving.

Porsche makes a reproduction 911 dash pad and it’s off in both fit and finish. sad.gif
dr914@autoatlanta.com
Right on Mark

QUOTE(mepstein @ Aug 2 2018, 02:21 PM) *

I just looked at my 914 rubber dash pad next to my pristine 71 dash. Both look great. The 914 rubber one looks more like rubber than vinyl. It has the low gloss look of a bumper pad. Much better than a cracked dash but might not look right next to the other padding if you are concerned about that kind of stuff. Even if I was picky, I could easily live with a similar targa pad since it spends most of its time hidden under the top or behind my head while I’m driving.

Porsche makes a reproduction 911 dash pad and it’s off in both fit and finish. sad.gif

Rand
Did you write a direct letter before the open letter? It seems silly to bring this to public if you haven't. What response did you get before you brought this here?
aggiezig
popcorn[1].gif
Ansbacher
QUOTE(Rand @ Aug 2 2018, 06:08 PM) *

Did you write a direct letter before the open letter? It seems silly to bring this to public if you haven't. What response did you get before you brought this here?

No, I did not. I know that Mikey monitors this forum. I was counting on input from other members so he would have a better understanding of how the community felt about this issue before he answers. Apparently I am on an island of my own. I was just trying to be a savvy consumer and seek out the best deal possible for myself and others who are awaiting the 914Rubber product. Unfortunately it only seems to have drawn out the snarkiness in some. Sometimes it's just not worth it.

Ansbacher
Rand
I didn't intend to be snarky at all. It's just common sense that you go direct to the person you have an issue with FIRST before airing it in public. You will definitely put yourself on an island of your own if you do it backwards, especially when it's about a reputable business that most here respect.
Ansbacher
QUOTE(Rand @ Aug 2 2018, 07:56 PM) *

I didn't intend to be snarky at all. It's just common sense that you go direct to the person you have an issue with FIRST before airing it in public. You will definitely put yourself on an island of your own if you do it backwards, especially when it's about a reputable business that most here respect.

I was not referring to your post at all when I said "snarkiness". Very sorry if you inferred that. Further, if you read my complete letter, you would see that it was written in a spirit of respect to 914Rubber, which I even praised at the conclusion. It is a simple proposal offered in a "forum" venue. I would expect one of the moderators will kill this whole thread due to misinterpretations by others of what I had in mind, and I will be the first to be glad when they do so.

Ansbacher
Mikey914
Actually I dont have a problem with an open question on how we might handle the concept of a credit.
Sure we could, it them becomes a matter of what value a used part is worth. There is shipping and if we are not buying to resell, then there is a holding cost.
I suspect that the market is best at setting the price point (classifieds?) With an extra segment of shipping back to us, our cost is greater. The way to get the most for the used unit would be a direct sale to tbe 2nd user.

The other option is that we raise the price to burry the codt of returned parts into the new part. I really dont like that option as it raises everyones cost.

So open to imput to what you all think would be fair.
worn
I will be the one I guess. Give me your poor, your tattered. If you think I am being disrespectful, well, my grandparents did too.
ConeDodger
A used part is only worth 50% if it’s still in good condition. You’d be better off selling it at 75% of new to a third party looking for a deal.
I’ve seen the AA part. Held it in my hand. The grain isn’t right, but many if not most would forget the appearance difference in a day or two.
Heck, our youngest is working for 914rubber a couple days a week. Making parts and stocking the shelves. He says it’s the best job he’s ever had. He loves to create.
Mark’s targa bar pad will come. It’s really a production problem not a design problem at this point. When it’s done, I’ll test it for you guys to make sure it’s perfect! evilgrin.gif
bobboinski
Rent parts. That's the ticket.
Mikey914
The more I think I feel the best solution is the offer a credit on the purchase of the new roll bar when you have purchased the other version from me first. We're looking at about a $35 credit. This would allow you to either retain or resell the other part at your convenience. It will also give you a nice box which you can ship the other one out in. Well it's not an exchange it does allow you to get the most for your part.

You can find them here
https://shop.914rubber.com/91455209710-Repr...m?categoryId=-1

The credit will be given on the new part when ready.
bobboinski
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Aug 2 2018, 06:17 PM) *

The more I think I feel the best solution is the offer a credit on the purchase of the new roll bar when you have purchased the other version from me first. We're looking at about a $35 credit. This would allow you to either retain or resell the other part at your convenience. It will also give you a nice box which you can ship the other one out in. Well it's not an exchange it does allow you to get the most for your part.

You can find them here

To me this is above and beyond. beerchug.gif
Chris914n6
Just wrap your cracked one in black vinyl until one you like is available. I did mine in matching cloth, like a Lexus, because I worked at Lexus at the time and liked it idea.gif

Click to view attachment
Dion
QUOTE(bobboinski @ Aug 2 2018, 05:29 PM) *

You can find them here

To me this is above and beyond. beerchug.gif

Totally agree agree.gif beerchug.gif
peteyd
QUOTE(mepstein @ Aug 2 2018, 01:21 PM) *

I hear and read this so often. Porsche does not make anything. The classic division is tasked to introduce/carry 200 new products per year. Don't quote me on the actual number, but it is high. Sometimes the quality of the products they start to carry are not 100%.

Porsche wants exclusivity on product they carry, and if the producer is willing to give that, then they only have one buyer. They need to maximize profits and usually the quality suffers.

Pete
mepstein
QUOTE(peteyd @ Aug 2 2018, 09:48 PM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Aug 2 2018, 01:21 PM) *

I hear and read this so often. Porsche does not make anything. The classic division is tasked to introduce/carry 200 new products per year. Don't quote me on the actual number, but it is high. Sometimes the quality of the products they start to carry are not 100%.

Porsche wants exclusivity on product they carry, and if the producer is willing to give that, then they only have one buyer. They need to maximize profits and usually the quality suffers.

Pete

Well yes, I agree but since we don’t usually know who really makes it and it’s labled Porsche, it’s usually referred as a Porsche part. I assume it was the same way back when the cars were first made. The problem is the people who first made the part set the standard. The current manufacturers now have to duplicate it.
76-914

You can find them here

When the day does come Mark maybe you can offer an accessories kit at a nominal charge that would include new screws, the correct size Phillips screwdriver and the appropriate number of your silicon plugs. Ive had three of these off different cars and only one of the 3 did not have some sheeplove.gif up screws because the PO had used the wrong size screwdriver. I don't remember what the correct size is. Maybe a #2. Just my 2 cents. beerchug.gif
Ansbacher
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Aug 2 2018, 09:17 PM) *

You can find them here

Thanks Mikey. You have pulled my feet out of the fire with your Solomon-like wisdom on this one. Your consideration and offer is certainly reasonable.

Ansbacher
orthobiz
Meanwhile, I like removing the targa pad about as much as the pedal board.

P
mepstein
QUOTE(orthobiz @ Aug 3 2018, 11:04 AM) *

P

The one I just removed was the easiest ever. It had never been done so all the screw heads were in good shape. If the heads are mangled, it's a chore.
Jonathan Livesay
QUOTE(orthobiz @ Aug 3 2018, 08:04 AM) *

P

agree.gif
domer914
QUOTE(Jonathan Livesay @ Aug 3 2018, 10:38 PM) *

QUOTE(orthobiz @ Aug 3 2018, 08:04 AM) *

P

agree.gif

Mark, I will pay full retail for the pad...just hurry up and get it to market, please.
Mikey914
Believe me, I have many thousands of dolkars invested, and will be spending more, but no point in doing it if its not right.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.