Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How to remove a tire at home
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mepstein
I first did this with 4 motorcycle tires. Yesterday I needed an old car tire removed before shipping. The shops tire machine is getting moved to a new shop and I didn’t feel like driving to my regular mechanic. I first cut the tire completely around the sidewall. Then made a notch in the rubber to the bead. Used the pair of box cutters in the pic to cut the bead. The whole process took 5 minutes.
bbrock
I was just looking at my stack of Fuchs with rotten tires on them wondering how hard it would be to get them off myself the other day. This is very helpful beerchug.gif
mepstein
I had to cut spokes out of 4 motorcycle wheels so the box cutter was already purchased. I’m sure you could do it with a cut off wheel but in my hands, a manual tool is safer.
bbrock
QUOTE(mepstein @ Aug 2 2018, 10:00 PM) *

I had to cut spokes out of 4 motorcycle wheels so the box cutter was already purchased. I’m sure you could do it with a cut off wheel but in my hands, a manual tool is safer.

I already have a bolt cutter - I think the exact same one that you have so I'm ready to roll. Thanks for the tip!
tazz9924
Ive removed tires without a machine before, it takes som time, and determination (maybe a friend) but it can be done without ruining the tire. Putting it back on is almost not possible except the first bead.
Unobtanium-inc
I've done a similar method, take a jig saw and cut the sidewall, then use the bolt cutters on the steel belt.
PatrickB
Bought a set of tire irons and a sledge a whole bunch of years ago to save money when I was in the trucking business... even then it was 25 buck a wheel to have a tire mounted. Ten tires on the truck.... bought the irons and sledge for 65 bucks.
a little dishwashing liquid does the trick for tire soap in a pinch.

I won't use the sledge on aluminum rims, I don't trust my aim enough. Now have a big slide hammer for that part. Either that or a couple of blocks a wood turned the wrong way on a hydraulic woodsplitter to break them down. sounds bad but it works if you're careful!
maf914
QUOTE(mepstein @ Aug 2 2018, 07:29 PM) *

I first cut the tire completely around the sidewall. Then made a notch in the rubber to the bead. Used the pair of box cutters in the pic to cut the bead. The whole process took 5 minutes.

What tool did you use to "first cut the tire around the sidewall" and "made a notch in the rubber to the bead"? idea.gif
Mark Henry
I have a cheap HF (PA in canada) manual tire machine, paid $60 for it on sale. Does 8" to 16" rims. Takes me a couple minutes to install or remove a tire. There was one for a bit more coin that will do 20"+ rims I think it just has a longer bar.
I also bought from HF a cheap valve stem installation tool, valve core screwdriver, plug and patch kits, etc.

For balance on regular daily driver tires I just use Air Soft beads, for wide tires I have a couple friends that will let me use their balance machines.

IPB Image
mepstein
QUOTE(maf914 @ Aug 3 2018, 09:11 AM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Aug 2 2018, 07:29 PM) *

I first cut the tire completely around the sidewall. Then made a notch in the rubber to the bead. Used the pair of box cutters in the pic to cut the bead. The whole process took 5 minutes.

What tool did you use to "first cut the tire around the sidewall" and "made a notch in the rubber to the bead"? idea.gif

Sharp knife that won’t break when I push through the rubber. Took 2 minutes to cut around the sidewall. I have a couple of these (Harbour freight) in my toolbox, car, shipping supplies, etc.
Work fine for this kind of stuff. Cheap if I loose them.
maf914
QUOTE(mepstein @ Aug 3 2018, 05:39 AM) *

QUOTE(maf914 @ Aug 3 2018, 09:11 AM) *

Sharp knife that won’t break when I push through the rubber. Took 2 minutes to cut around the sidewall. I have a couple of these (Harbour freight) in my toolbox, car, shipping supplies, etc.
Work fine for this kind of stuff. Cheap if I loose them.

Thanks, Mark, for a good post topic.
TonyA
I have a few to take apart also...I think I will use a sawzall and then the bolt cutters.
Thought that it would be a little crazy to try but thanks for the post. I see I am not the only one that thinks this way.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(76-914 @ Aug 6 2018, 09:45 AM) *

I agree that if you can break the bead you have the battle all but won.
I have the big daddy of this bead breaker for doing full size tractor tires.

At the same time for that price you can pick up the HF manual tire change machine. You don't have to take up garage space, you could lay a small slab outside and mount it in your backyard.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.