Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1974 914 GT
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WANTED: 914 Cars and Rollers
hedfurst
Long term project. Have had it for over 20 years. I’ve been thinking about this for a while now.
Heavily optioned track car. My intent was to use it to hill climb but life gets in the way.
Fiber glass flares/916 body kit and rear deck lid. I also have the rear 916 fairing-wing, just haven’t put it back on yet. (I’ll be back)

-5 lug conversion with 911 slotted discs up front, gas struts
-I think E. Shea conversion? 5 lug stub axles in the back with 914/6 discs, adjustable Konis with adjustable rear springs (I think they're 200 lbs?) long time ago!
-it has the rear calipers off of my 912E (converted it to 911S brakes)
-no hand/parking brake
-front stock anti-sway bar (very adequate because the car's so light)
-also have a rear bar I'll include
-stock transmission with new shifter-linkage bushings and additional shifter helper springs
-replica Fuchs I think they're 7 & 9s? with aluminum 5 lug spacers to fill the fenders
-needs new tires these are 'soft' but they're 10 years old
-8-point bolt in roll cage. Aluminum racing seats and 5 point restraints.
-

Big Type IV Motor, fresh
-2316, 80 x 96, cast iron cylinders
-J&E pistons with valve reliefs, set DH to 30 thou
-1.7 liter case with 1/2 inch through bolts
-drilled and tapped for full flow
-ceramic lifters with brass bores
-Raby split duration 1/2 lift cam with chrome-moly push rods
-1.7 rockers with porsche lifter-valve adjusters
-4 gear T.Pieper oil pump, DRY-SUMP! 3 gallon tank with an auxiliary cooler up front!
-Ham/Raby cylinder Heads from a previous motor that I took and had checked out at a local performance head shop. Not radically ported but have larger valves.
-45 Delortos with bell crank linkage that I think is the best I've had!
-4to1 euro race header with a SS end pipe pseudo muffler(ear plugs are good)
-lightened flywheel with a ceramic disc

Motor is balanced. I use 6 grand when I'm in a hurry as a shift point and it does that easy in 4th. It sort of spooks me 'cause I think it'll do that in 5th too! (speedo-peg?)
It'll turn 7 thousand rpm for short periods of time but that tends to throw the alternator belt.
I just cleaned the gas tank. The trip meter does not work on the speedometer so I put an hour meter on the electric fuel pump when I installed this motor! At this time it has less than 7 hours. I trailered it to and autocrossed it in Pensacola FL at 5 Flags Speedway 2 weekends ago.

i'd like to get $16.5k but will entertain any offer. Car is in Southern Mississippi.

hedfurst
Bump
hedfurst
Another
hedfurst
More
hedfurst
A little more motor bull-stuff!
As most of you may or may not know, 1.7 cases have more mass than other type 4 cases. Idont know where it is or how much more they weigh but they are 'meatier' and/or stronger!? VW must have been just trimming the fat as they were increasing production of 1.8 & 2L.

And as those of you who have rebuilt these things yourselves know in the stock cases there are 2 shuffle-pins at opposing corners that are intended to prevent case 'movement.' The stock thru-bolts have small diameters and offer no contribution. By drilling and converting to the 1/2 inch thru-bolts it maximally supports the bearings for sustained RPMs.
hedfurst
Found some more pics!
Oil pump, Thorsten Pieper. Austrian or German engineer. Aluminum CAD 4 gear double pump. IMPRESSIVE. It cost more to ship than he charged for the pump! Has O-ring seals. Had to trim the fan shroud.
I got the 1.7L core from Dr 914 in Atlanta and it was complete with the front engine mount, the early mount just made more sense regarding the oil fittings. Would've had to modify the later mounts to fit too I think this one made more sense. I adapted it to fit the side-shifter bar despite what that asshole from Pelican Parts said LOL. It's got rubber discs but its basically a solid mount- it's a track car.
Put SS hose on the return side because exhaust is closer on that side. Deleted the case oil filter and have added one in the dry sump return circuit. I used the heater ducts for the oil lines.
hedfurst
Another rather unique tidbit.
I have a rather heavy-duty starter on the white girl and got tired of cranking on her then having to jump out to catch the throttle before she died when she was cold ,to make adjustments on the dizzy or carbs (no chokes on the dells). I have a relay on the starter. A button on the dash and one in the engine compartment that complete the ground for the starter relay circuit! I key on the ignition, then button the relay either from behind the wheel or beside the car and vaarroomm!!! LOL.
Got tired of trying to jump out of a roll caged car while she was still running!!
hedfurst
I watch head temps, old car, originally installed just 2 gauges. Just measured the 2 warmest cylinders 1 & 3. Have added sending units and switches to the empty spaces on my dash and can now look at each cylinder! Knew I left that space for something all those years ago.
hedfurst
Oh yeah. Near and dear to all 14teeners hearts “ the hell hole.”

I’ve done a lot of work there. Reinforced the longitudinal inside and out. Added an additional bar for support that doubles for a mount for the out-side passenger waist belt.
Battery has been mounted in the rear trunk.
I’d bet money that if you hadn’t been prompted most wouldn’t have readily recognized this as a former hell-hole!!
hedfurst
Structurally it worked out well.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.