914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dr914@autoatlanta.com
Click to view attachment
rhodyguy
What does HO stand for? confused24.gif
sithot
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Aug 3 2018, 11:24 AM) *

H.O. trains, Hoes we use on the farm and the urban dictionary is more off-color. idea.gif
Coastal6
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Aug 3 2018, 08:24 AM) *

Horrible outcome. smile.gif
sithot
QUOTE(Coastal6 @ Aug 3 2018, 11:37 AM) *

I'll put $10 on that one.
rhodyguy
A little baking soda sprinkled on the bat tray with a sieve and misted with a squirt bottle is pretty cool. Then try the engine shelve. Holes? Points below.
JeffBowlsby
You guyzzz.. rolleyes.gif

HO is the 914 recall campaign...

http://bowlsby.net/914/Classic/Recalls.htm
rhodyguy
Nice jeff. 2 lugs with green paint. Who knew?
bbrock
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Aug 3 2018, 10:22 AM) *

2 lugs with green paint. Who knew?

Don't get me started on that one. My car came to me with every fuching lug slathered with green. I guess the tech wanted to make sure everyone knew he had been there.
Tom_T
QUOTE(Coastal6 @ Aug 3 2018, 08:37 AM) *

All -

Well that was certainly the result after an engine fire due to battery acid corroded OE cloth-covered fuel lines, but I doubt that was what Porsche had in mind! biggrin.gif

I'm adding the recall info below, because it's important to all members & all vehicle owners, regarding recalls - but first....

As Jeff said, it's the "HO Recall" required by NHTSA for all 70-76 914s, & if yours was never done, then Porsche/PCNA is still required to do them today.

In fact, this is the case for any open recall on any car make & model no matter how old, if never done & documented. That's the USA Federal Law, & I'd imagine it's the same in other countries too.

Just contact PCNA. They'll probably ask you to bring it to a dealer - or send someone out if not running, in order to verify that it was never done.

I know this for a fact, because I went through the process on my own 73 914-2.0, & have my letter from PCNA to contact them & bring it in to a local dealer to have it done, whenever I have it running & registered again, since the PCNA District Manager already came out to my house to verify it.

This is VERY important for ALL of you folks cars - so don't let the local dealership BS you, they do have to do all recall work if never done, but you may have to go to the car manufacturer &/or NHTSA to push the issue through.

So check all of your cars for open recalls - the newer ones with the later VIN code format (1980's started) can be done with the NHTSA Recall Look-up using your VIN. For older vehicles with the older you'll have to send an email or postal inquiry to NHTSA, then follow-up with the dealer(s) &/or manufacturer(s) to get them set-up & done.

Jeff's website lists the 914 ones -

NHTSA Recall Look-up -

https://www.nhtsa.gov/recalls

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
Lucky9146
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Aug 3 2018, 07:43 AM) *

George can't catch a break so I will say it. Thank you George. I had no idea.
and thanks Jeff for the link to recalls, first I'd heard of that too.
and Tom T nice write up!

driving.gif white914.jpg
dr914@autoatlanta.com
Tom is dead on, if your 914 has not had it done, the Porsche dealer will do it no charge. HOWEVER one has to watch how they do it, as we saw one that was just done within the last three months, and Hennessy Porsche ABSOLUTELY butchered it, cutting uneven lines using serrated hose clamps, and not even installing a battery cover!!! Looked Like a Johnny home butcher repair, could not believe it!

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Aug 3 2018, 09:51 AM) *

QUOTE(Coastal6 @ Aug 3 2018, 08:37 AM) *

All -

Well that was certainly the result after an engine fire due to battery acid corroded OE cloth-covered fuel lines, but I doubt that was what Porsche had in mind! biggrin.gif

I'm adding the recall info below, because it's important to all members & all vehicle owners, regarding recalls - but first....

As Jeff said, it's the "HO Recall" required by NHTSA for all 70-76 914s, & if yours was never done, then Porsche/PCNA is still required to do them today.

In fact, this is the case for any open recall on any car make & model no matter how old, if never done & documented. That's the USA Federal Law, & I'd imagine it's the same in other countries too.

Just contact PCNA. They'll probably ask you to bring it to a dealer - or send someone out if not running, in order to verify that it was never done.

I know this for a fact, because I went through the process on my own 73 914-2.0, & have my letter from PCNA to contact them & bring it in to a local dealer to have it done, whenever I have it running & registered again, since the PCNA District Manager already came out to my house to verify it.

This is VERY important for ALL of you folks cars - so don't let the local dealership BS you, they do have to do all recall work if never done, but you may have to go to the car manufacturer &/or NHTSA to push the issue through.

So check all of your cars for open recalls - the newer ones with the later VIN code format (1980's started) can be done with the NHTSA Recall Look-up using your VIN. For older vehicles with the older you'll have to send an email or postal inquiry to NHTSA, then follow-up with the dealer(s) &/or manufacturer(s) to get them set-up & done.

Jeff's website lists the 914 ones -

NHTSA Recall Look-up -

https://www.nhtsa.gov/recalls

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
bbrock
So back to this sticker. The placement seems wrong. According to Jeff's site, it would have gone on the new battery cover and the location of this one would normally have been covered by the firewall backpad... No?
dr914@autoatlanta.com
SHOULD be on the battery cover, but never know what mechanic was doing the job, probably if it was put on the battery cover it would not have survived though for us to see today

QUOTE(bbrock @ Aug 3 2018, 03:07 PM) *

So back to this sticker. The placement seems wrong. According to Jeff's site, it would have gone on the new battery cover and the location of this one would normally have been covered by the firewall backpad... No?

bbrock
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Aug 3 2018, 04:30 PM) *

SHOULD be on the battery cover, but never know what mechanic was doing the job, probably if it was put on the battery cover it would not have survived though for us to see today

QUOTE(bbrock @ Aug 3 2018, 03:07 PM) *

So true. My H.O. sticker in the front got placed next to the VIN payload plate instead of up by the VIN stamp where it appears most were. I have a repro to replace it but I think I'll keep it next to the plate since that's the history of the car.

Click to view attachment
ejm
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Aug 3 2018, 12:51 PM) *

Not true. A manufacturer may elect to extend a recall but are only required to perform repairs for ten years. I recall from 30+ years in dealerships that some recalls were ended sooner when a certain percentage of vehicles were completed. From near the bottom the NHTSA webpage HERE
"Are there any limitations on my right to have a recalled vehicle remedied at no charge?
Yes. There is a limitation based on the age of the vehicle. In order to be eligible for a free remedy, the vehicle cannot be more than 10 years old on the date the defect or noncompliance is determined. Under the law, the age of the vehicle is calculated from the date of sale to the first purchaser"
914Next
QUOTE(bbrock @ Aug 3 2018, 12:30 PM) *

Don't get me started on that one. My car came to me with every fuching lug slathered with green. I guess the tech wanted to make sure everyone knew he had been there.

Yup. Mine still had the paint on EVERY lug when I got it. I asked the original owner why he left it on all these years and he said he wasn’t sure but that he guessed he had never really noticed or been bothered by it. Of course I have to leave it on now.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
rhodyguy
Those are beautiful wheels.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
green slathered 914 alloy wheel lug nuts are a sign of the pristine, so much so that to preserve the stuff, I cover mine with factory black alloy lug nut covers, only to reveal what is underneath to special people like the concours judges

l
QUOTE(914Next @ Aug 4 2018, 07:01 AM) *

Yup. Mine still had the paint on EVERY lug when I got it. I asked the original owner why he left it on all these years and he said he wasn’t sure but that he guessed he had never really noticed or been bothered by it. Of course I have to leave it on now.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

914Next
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Aug 4 2018, 10:32 AM) *

green slathered 914 alloy wheel lug nuts are a sign of the pristine, so much so that to preserve the stuff, I cover mine with factory black alloy lug nut covers, only to reveal what is underneath to special people like the concours judges

l

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

George where can one buy the black lug covers?

dr914@autoatlanta.com
we have them on the shelf, 111601173

QUOTE(914Next @ Aug 4 2018, 08:47 AM) *

QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Aug 4 2018, 10:32 AM) *

l

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

JeffBowlsby

The black lug bolt covers would not be correct for a 1973 car.

poke.gif You will need to resolve the conflict in your own mind... biggrin.gif
dr914@autoatlanta.com
Jeff is of course correct, as usual, in that they were first offered with the introduction of the 74 models. In the truest sense of the brotherhood of the concours weenies, when I show my 73 I remove the covers to like I said reveal the beautiful green slop, and then reinstall them when I leave. I leave them on when showing my limited edition cars (thank you Jeff for getting me the Matsuda car) and my 11,000 mile 76 that I dearly love

QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Aug 4 2018, 09:09 AM) *

The black lug bolt covers would not be correct for a 1973 car.

poke.gif You will need to resolve the conflict in your own mind... biggrin.gif

r_towle
914 HO you are!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.