Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Almost a new engine
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
PanelBilly
You may recall that a backwards gear caused all kinds of damage to my engine

Click to view attachment

So its coming back together now. I'm waiting on 2 rings that were broken, but here it is with the new cylinders and pistons

Click to view attachment
PanelBilly
Click to view attachment

Hopefully it will be done this week
worn
QUOTE(PanelBilly @ Aug 13 2018, 03:24 PM) *

Click to view attachment

Good luck. Pretty motor. While we have the photo, can anyone tell me what kind of bayonet hose fits on the engine vent? The tube with the two small brass studs at top.
KELTY360
smilie_pokal.gif piratenanner.gif driving.gif
sixnotfour
righty IN lefty Out
jcd914
QUOTE(worn @ Aug 13 2018, 03:30 PM) *

QUOTE(PanelBilly @ Aug 13 2018, 03:24 PM) *

Good luck. Pretty motor. While we have the photo, can anyone tell me what kind of bayonet hose fits on the engine vent? The tube with the two small brass studs at top.

Stock, the breather hose is just cloth woven rubber hose held on with a clamp.
The two "small brass studs" are there so the hose can't slide off when clamped.

Jim
PanelBilly
I use a hose I got from a local hose and fitting supplier. It’s grey so it doesn’t look OEM but it’s not effected by the oil gasses that pass thru it. I’ve heard that the factory style hoses degrade over time and gets loose where it connects to the engine.
Luke M
QUOTE(PanelBilly @ Aug 3 2018, 03:15 PM) *

You may recall that a backwards gear caused all kinds of damage to my engine

Click to view attachment

So its coming back together now. I'm waiting on 2 rings that were broken, but here it is with the new cylinders and pistons

Click to view attachment

I had to take a double take at the piston pic. Are you sure the pistons are on the correct way? Not sure if it's the pic but it looks like the piston in # 2 cylinder is ex pocket up? Got a better pic to verify ?
PanelBilly
Dropped the car off today as the engine goes back in next week. It’s not all back together but getting closer

Click to view attachment
PanelBilly
It's getting closer. I blocked off the oil pressure sender for the gauge at the front of the engine and got a sender for the top location with two leads. One is for the green light. The sender in the front was prone to leaking.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
porschetub
QUOTE(PanelBilly @ Aug 24 2018, 12:43 PM) *

It's getting closer. I blocked off the oil pressure sender for the gauge at the front of the engine and got a sender for the top location with two leads. One is for the green light. The sender in the front was prone to leaking.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Sorry to be pain but what was the cause of your issues,was it miss aligned chain sprockets off the cams ??,couldn't tell from the pic .
Good move on the sender,they work well,less crap hanging of the case in my situation and one less leak,worst overheat issue was 12psi for me @ idle,the switch on mine comes on @ 10psi tested.
Cheers.
Larmo63
Man, I'm so sorry this happened to your beautiful build.

The devil is in the details. Can you explain what happened completely? What were the symptoms leading up to the Big Bang?

Thanks
PanelBilly
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Aug 23 2018, 09:41 PM) *

Man, I'm so sorry this happened to your beautiful build.

The devil is in the details. Can you explain what happened completely? What were the symptoms leading up to the Big Bang?

Thanks

No bang. I was having the engine resealed and found the damage from the case being worn from the gear and chain. No damage to the crank, mains,or oil pump but the metal managed to get just about everywhere else
PanelBilly
It’s back in the car and I heard it run today. One of the wires on the alternator shorted out so I helped pull it out and my mechanic took it to the shop next door where the fix them. Should be back together tomorrow

Sounded great
Cairo94507
beerchug.gif
EdwardBlume
smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif

all it takes is time and money
tomeric914
Great to hear it's back together and running PB! Sorry to hear of your troubles. sad.gif
Tdskip
Good to hear!
PanelBilly
Went by the shop today and its done. I was on my way to Portland so I’m not bringing it home till Tuesday. Can’t wait!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.