Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rear Brake Line Replacement
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Nogoodwithusernames
Hey there, been working on brakes today and am replacing all the soft lines with new. I managed to break loose one side in the rear but am not sure how to get the metal clip out that holds it in place? I don't think there's room for vise grips up in there? Anyone have any tips on how they did it?
jdamiano
QUOTE(Nogoodwithusernames @ Aug 4 2018, 04:25 PM) *

Hey there, been working on brakes today and am replacing all the soft lines with new. I managed to break loose one side in the rear but am not sure how to get the metal clip out that holds it in place? I don't think there's room for vise grips up in there? Anyone have any tips on how they did it?

Flat blade screwdriver and needle nose pliers to get the clips out. Cut the old lines as close to the top as possible and use a deep well 17mm socket to remove. I think it’s an 11mm wrench to hold the hard line.
Nogoodwithusernames
QUOTE(jdamiano @ Aug 4 2018, 04:02 PM) *

QUOTE(Nogoodwithusernames @ Aug 4 2018, 04:25 PM) *

Flat blade screwdriver and needle nose pliers to get the clips out. Cut the old lines as close to the top as possible and use a deep well 17mm socket to remove. I think it’s an 11mm wrench to hold the hard line.

Hmm what is the method used with the needle nose and flat head? I was going at it and couldn't do more than just pivot it around the brake line.
cary
Grab the angled flange with a 4wr Vice Grip and tap with a hammer and maybe a drift.
worn
QUOTE(cary @ Aug 4 2018, 04:46 PM) *

Grab the angled flange with a 4wr Vice Grip and tap with a hammer and maybe a drift.

Yeah, you may well need an impact tool. I always try to find images of the parts as they are assembled to guide my whacking. Afraid for me that is sort of like Mr Burns whacking things, but you of course worry about breaking things.
johnhora
what cary said...
first soak repeatedly with WD, Lq wrench, PB....etc
wiggle it back and forth as you tap it
cary
Today when I was assembling Mike' s 911 front end I put just a dab of copper anti seize where the clip slides over the brake hose.
Nogoodwithusernames
Alrighty I'll keep working at it then. Bit of a pain working up under there since there's hardly any space it seems but I shall persevere. Gotta get out of the "My car is on jack stands because *insert excuse that should have been done months ago*" club poke.gif biggrin.gif
Dave_Darling
Some folks also work through one of the holes in the engine shelf. I think the one for the rain tray drain hose?

--DD
cary
A little more clarification. Some times this is a two step job. Job #1, break it loose.
So you need to get a chisel or a large screwdriver right where the yellow arrow is pointing to break it loose. Give a nice smack. You want to see it twist.
Click to view attachment
Nogoodwithusernames
Woohoo! piratenanner.gif Thanks guys, ran to harbor freight this morning and picked up their "mini locking plier set" and bam, within 5 minutes I had that little sucker off of there.

Also got the front rotors back on with repacked bearings and some "new" calipers courtesy of PMB! Cheers guys!
Now I'm off to finish up the rear end of things.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.