Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: After fuel tank install issue ...........
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
cary
Mike and I had an interesting issue after re installing his fuel tank in too big of a hurry. Mike's got company in town.
In our haste we (I) kinked the return line. It usually lays in a nice S in the bottom of the fuel tank well. We've installed a front end off an 83 ROW SC and Mike's getting ready for a 3000 mile journey in his 914. Car has been running great so we didn't expect any issues when we refilled the tank and fired it up. But no ............. it started like it had a bad miss. Not what we needed.
I didn't measure the fuel pressure. I was too busy mentally going down the list of things we've touched. It sounded electrical. Then I remembered not looking at the fuel line dress under the tank. Not much room, but I got my hand up in there and adjusted the hose. Fired it back up and she ran like a top. Hmmmm.
SirAndy
Been there, done that ...
sad.gif
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Aug 5 2018, 01:27 PM) *

Been there, done that ...
sad.gif

me too, and this reminds me whe i get my tank back in soon to be careful and also not put too much gas in at first , not until we know its all running properly., nice that you could reach it with ouy having to pull it all out and empty the tank.
cary
I usually only add 2 gallons on the restart leak test.
sb914
I made a longer hose to tank it's easier to remove the tank as you can lift it out without having to reach in to disconnect it .
76-914
I clamped my air box over the return once. I saw 90psi on the gage. blink.gif Ran all the way from Grand Junction, CO to Las Vegas like that. Pulled the regulator to replace it and took a 90psi gasoline shower. headbang.gif After I dried off I found the culprit. chair.gif
kgruen2
I had my tank refurbished, installed it with a new fuel gauge sending unit. Drove great for a few miles, then died. Acting like fuel starvation. I thought maybe the tank wasn't venting properly, so I took off the fuel cap. After putting the cap back on, car started up after a few cranks and ran good. Problem solved, so I thought. Car died again, acting like fuel starvation. Had it towed to the shop. After some checking we found the sticker that was on the fuel gauge sending unit came off and settled over the fuel pick up at bottom of tank. Removed said sticker. Problem solved. Moral of story - Make sure everything inside the tank is clean and free of any debris or stickers.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.