Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Proper windscreen and trim installation
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
domer914
I have had much of my car completely restored. The trim (black) around my windscreen is awful. Bad fit. Won't sit down. It is after-market.

The outfit that installed it suggested to me that I find some original trim and refinish it, remove my windshield, apply the trim rubber, then re-install all of it on my car.

Does this make sense?

I'm looking to get the trim right, and it's a struggle.
DRPHIL914
The original chrome trim fits the best if you put new clips back in then I would recommend sourcing some chrome trim I just purchased brand new trim pieces to go on my car my original trim is in good condition but not perfect if you were looking for something to repaint restore I would or was going to put mine up for sale , if you are interested let me know i can send some pictures - you can get brand new reproduction stuff from 914ruvver or oem from either Stoddard or Sunset Porsche out of florida.
mgphoto
Original doesn't have rubber and the trim is anodized aluminum like the sail plane trim.
Windshield is installed with adhesive, trim clips into place around the glass.
DRPHIL914
if your windshield was installed correctly there is not reason to pull it - should have been done with butyl tape and have the clips , it should look like this:
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(mgphoto @ Aug 5 2018, 01:10 PM) *

Original doesn't have rubber and the trim is anodized aluminum like the sail plane trim.
Windshield is installed with adhesive, trim clips into place around the glass.

what kind of adhesive? urathane? problem with thst is due to flex of the car the adhesive does not allow enough give and windshields crack, should only use butyl tape like original was - my picture above shows how the clips should be and small gap between the clip and window. all trim on the inside including the dash to window seal can be installed without taking the window out.
domer914
QUOTE(Philip W. @ Aug 5 2018, 12:11 PM) *

if your windshield was installed correctly there is not reason to pull it - should have been done with butyl tape and have the clips , it should look like this:

Philip: Thanks for your reply. Is that butyl tape showing at the bottom, slightly wavy behind the glass? If so, what thickness?
domer914
Okay folks, is it safe for me to assume that if the windshield is properly installed (butyl tape of the proper width with the proper fitment) then it shouldn't matter whether my trim is original or A-M?
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(domer914 @ Aug 5 2018, 01:24 PM) *

Okay folks, is it safe for me to assume that if the windshield is properly installed (butyl tape of the proper width with the proper fitment) then it shouldn't matter whether my trim is original or A-M?

yes that is butyl and looks slighly wavy but it is a good seal all the way around. i have not had experience with the other brands of trim. mine was oem. i bought the set from 914rubber so i will post pics and my experience with it once it gets installed this week.
Others can chime in.
i know someone here got their rear targa trim from Sunset Porsche- brand new , not sure who makes the new stuff for porsche but i heard it fits perfectly.
mgphoto
The trim clips can't be installed with the windshield in place, they have to be in good shape to hold the trim flat against the glass.
Rob-O
QUOTE(Philip W. @ Aug 5 2018, 09:37 AM) *

QUOTE(domer914 @ Aug 5 2018, 01:24 PM) *

yes that is butyl and looks slighly wavy but it is a good seal all the way around. i have not had experience with the other brands of trim. mine was oem. i bought the set from 914rubber so i will post pics and my experience with it once it gets installed this week.
Others can chime in.
i know someone here got their rear targa trim from Sunset Porsche- brand new , not sure who makes the new stuff for porsche but i heard it fits perfectly.

I bought the left and right targa trim. It was a Porsche part. It did not fit correctly, it fit very poorly. I haven’t purcashed the targa trim piece that goes across the top of the targa bar though. But I will soon given the evaluation that was done on a thread a few weeks back.
r_towle
I thought one of our vendors here was selling complete sets of trim?
Maybe Sierra Madre???

I recall buying whole cars just for the trim pieces, then selling everything else.
rgalla9146
QUOTE(r_towle @ Aug 5 2018, 04:46 PM) *

Maybe Sierra Madre???

I recall buying whole cars just for the trim pieces, then selling everything else.

That's the way you to do it. Money for nuth'in and the chicks for free.
Buy the whole car.
Sell it minus the parts that you need.
DRPHIL914

Maybe Sierra Madre???

914rubber makes the front windshield trim and i bought it, should be in soon i will post pics and let you know how it fits.
The targa trim someone bought from sunset porsche and it was a good fit. - btw 914Rubber has the small piece at the end top of targa bar too.
JFG
there are spacers used when fitting the windscreen. how many and where are they placed?
domer914
QUOTE(Philip W. @ Aug 5 2018, 10:28 PM) *

Maybe Sierra Madre???

914rubber makes the front windshield trim and i bought it, should be in soon i will post pics and let you know how it fits.
The targa trim someone bought from sunset porsche and it was a good fit. - btw 914Rubber has the small piece at the end top of targa bar too.

My trim is from 914Rubber, so I do believe it's a botched installation. More news later...
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(domer914 @ Aug 6 2018, 08:26 AM) *

QUOTE(Philip W. @ Aug 5 2018, 10:28 PM) *

Maybe Sierra Madre???

My trim is from 914Rubber, so I do believe it's a botched installation. More news later...

is that the rubber or metal?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.