Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: from factory, what color is under the metal mesh on the engine lid that covers the back half
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DRPHIL914
my car was at one point repainted, so i am not sure not what i have had the car stripped down and repainted , what is proper for this piece.)edited - yes the engine lid and side pieces.
SirAndy
Are you talking about the engine lid side pieces?

If so, it's supposed to be black under the mesh ...
shades.gif
Tom_T
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Aug 5 2018, 10:13 PM) *

Are you talking about the engine lid side pieces?

If so, it's supposed to be black under the mesh ...
shades.gif

agree.gif ... & also for the engine lid frame underneath where the mesh sits.

But it's really unclear what you're asking about Dr. Phil, & pix would be most helpful when you ask questions like this, even if it's not of your car, to at least show where you're talking about on such questions. huh.gif

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
DRPHIL914
thanks for the answers, i edited to clarify - i left out that detail- it was rather late,
my painter panted the whole lid and side, which i can tape off easily enough and correct
bbrock
My car had been repainted, but it doesn't look like they touched those areas and I just stripped them over the weekend paying attention to the layers. Mine were painted with body color and then flat black sprayed on top of that. That includes both the side pieces and cross pieces under the mesh on the main lid. The black is pretty thin and you can see body color bleeding trough in some areas. It looks pretty clear it was all sprayed body color at the factory and then black sprayed over those areas as a later step.
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(bbrock @ Aug 6 2018, 09:39 AM) *

My car had been repainted, but it doesn't look like they touched those areas and I just stripped them over the weekend paying attention to the layers. Mine were painted with body color and then flat black sprayed on top of that. That includes both the side pieces and cross pieces under the mesh on the main lid. The black is pretty thin and you can see body color bleeding trough in some areas. It looks pretty clear it was all sprayed body color at the factory and then black sprayed over those areas as a later step.

that's what I thought. thanks for the info. I have some satin black I got from Mark Whitesell@914rubber that I used to repaint my gas tank and rockers and valences. I will have to tape that off and repaint them before installation of the metal mesh.

Phil
dr914@autoatlanta.com
flat black

QUOTE(Philip W. @ Aug 5 2018, 09:00 PM) *

my car was at one point repainted, so i am not sure not what i have had the car stripped down and repainted , what is proper for this piece.)edited - yes the engine lid and side pieces.

DRPHIL914
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Aug 6 2018, 10:02 AM) *

flat black

QUOTE(Philip W. @ Aug 5 2018, 09:00 PM) *

roger than, I will use flat not satin. -
Btw doc, I have the reproduction rockers from you and have not painted them yet. I like the smooth finish and planned on doing satin black - do you recommend a specific primer prior to the paint?

Phil
McMark
Technically... they're painted body color and then had flat black brushed on. On a very original car you can clearly see the brush strokes.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
good call.

QUOTE(McMark @ Aug 6 2018, 07:24 AM) *

Technically... they're painted body color and then had flat black brushed on. On a very original car you can clearly see the brush strokes.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.