Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ah Nuts
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
forrestkhaag
Has anyone (who is anal enough to do such a task), thoroughly documented the parts and pieces involved in their restoration or their build of a 914 or conversion of a 914 to a 6? Pretty close to the nuts and bolts – excluding the time involved in a labor of love?
I am inquiring about a fact-base documentation of your pitiful unending vortex from your (otherwise) partially full wallet to its emptiness - in the pursuit of perfection (or simply a “running” car….) known as more than a roller……. a 914 that is fairly complete.
Unfortunately, having owned a way too many Porsche cars of a variety of ilk’s along the road to my 914, I have always kept the chits, notes, and documents to know, close to the penny, what I am in it for. The curse of a Virgo I assume.
Now, having some extra time on my hands, ..........I have assembled a column and row XLS spreadsheet of costs related to my original 4’s purchase and refurb as a 1.7, then the new 2.3 engine process, then the sale of that type-4 engine, then the 3.0 - 6 build, then the oil system, then the.... well, you get the point.
I have the data nailed to the individual Pelican part. The various swap meet parts as well. The West Coast “deals”………….. the eBay and PayPals along the way (and I have to thank my lovely wife for checking the facts and figures along the way).....and, I have the time nailed down to the drive to the flywheel surfacer shop or the crank polisher or the head porter guy in the bowels of LA... I have the costs of aluminum washers, nuts, and bolts. I have notes on the original 6 parts and purchases made in the dust and heat of Bruce Stone’s hallowed cardboard box strewn loft in Riverside. I have purchase receipts for new cam sprockets, one-piece chains, bearings, bushings, and beer. I have the cost less 50% for the half-used tube of sealant and the 2 boxes of Kim Wipes as required by my builder-instructor from LA for keeping things surgically clean during the build. All in all, a stack of receipts more than three inches high when compressed by a discarded type 4 flywheel.
That being the case, I now know somewhat accurately, what I have and what I don’t have. What I don’t have is any excess cash in my wallet. What I have is a rust free solid 914-6 conversion with a very well-built, top to bottom, 3.0 that I can continue to drive for thousands upon thousands of miles without fear of a breakdown. And because I know that I have a low-twenty grand in total of the purchase and build of it, I am now more motivated to take the 6 out for a drive just for the fun of it / ……….if not to amortize, by the mile, the investment that I have in it. And to further rationalize throwing hundred-dollar bills to the 914-winds, I now know that the 6 is way less costly than any other Porsche I have owned (excluding my 914-4 way back in 1974…).
Moral of the question. Would I tally this data again if I hadn’t already done so? Yes. Of course, life would be simpler if I had not. Some may want to remain ignorant of the course financial facts. Some should choose to remain in 914-cost-oblivion ……in your pursuit of 914-happiness… and you may be a lot happier that way.

Not my game. I want to know that I can sell the beast at any point and be ahead of the game and in the meantime, have some fun driving a very simple car.

beerchug.gif
mepstein
I never tally the cost. It’s just not my mindset. It’s my hobby so I don’t really care what it cost. I want what I want.
Plus, unless you are buying off the shelf from a place like PMS, the cost will vary for every person and every build. Ben can make a throttle linkage, oil tank, engine mount, etc for $20 and a bunch of his time. I have to buy it all.

If my wife was involved, she would keep track and be able to show you how much I spent to the penny. She’s not involved. biggrin.gif
bbrock
My intention is to have something similar, although not quite as detailed, for my 73 2.0/4 restoration back to original condition. I started a Quickbooks company file to track expenses by general categories. Unfortunately, I've gotten WAY behind on my bookkeeping and let the receipt organization get away from me, so will need to do some catch up.

I still believe I'm going to get out of this with less money invested than the car will be worth, of course that doesn't count time/labor. I'm of like mind as you. I'm not doing this to make a profit and don't mind donating countless weekends in the endeavor, but I do like to know that I can pull my cash back out of the car if that ever becomes a necessity. Besides, I'm a scientist and like data. There's the dogma that you can't restore a 914 for less than its worth, and then there are facts. When the dust settles on my project, I hope to post the results. beerchug.gif
ClayPerrine
If you are really into 914s, NEVER, EVER TOTAL UP YOUR RECEIPTS! You really don't want to know what you spent on a cheap rusty old sports car.

After 33 years and 3 914s, I probably have spent enough to buy a couple of new GT4s. I know I have about 23K in the 2.4 911 engine and trans I am taking OUT of my six conversion to replace with the 4.0 964 engine and Cayman transmission.

The 33 years worth of receipts are in a box. But the total of all of them doesn't begin to account for all the happiness, fun, and friendship that came with those receipts. It really isn't about the total cost for me, it is about the whole 914 ownership journey. When the guys with the GT4s look down on me, I can say "You bought yours. I built mine."
wes
I have a for several years a “1974 914” file that I’ve never opened except to add more receipts! That folder is quite full maybe it’s time to add another?
Mblizzard
QUOTE(wes @ Aug 6 2018, 08:47 AM) *

I have a for several years a “1974 914” file that I’ve never opened except to add more receipts! That folder is quite full maybe it’s time to add another?

I already have 2 folders! Start adding them up once and became very afraid so I stopped. Never total them up!
db9146
I agree with Mark....la, la, la, "I don't want to know", la, la, la.........

Where is that "stick your head in the sand" emoji when you need it?
KELTY360
QUOTE(Mblizzard @ Aug 6 2018, 10:06 AM) *

I already have 2 folders! Start adding them up once and became very afraid so I stopped. Never total them up!

So when someone asks how much you've spent you can just tell them.....about two folders. biggrin.gif
76-914
I keep every receipt. I tallied the Karmann Ghia and the 76 914. The '70 & "73 914's receipts haven't been totaled but I think I'm at about $8K on the '73 after adding AC.
Chris914n6
huh.gif
I have an excel file for each of my project cars so I know exactly what was spent, what still needs to be spent, and what I expect to spend, not including time because I suck at keeping track. Just in case I decide to sell and want a nice return.

I've got only $6600 plus a $300 box of Rubber goodies but a stupid amount of time in my 914. poke.gif

$11k total with the 72 project & parts, extra wheels, special tools & everything P-car related. That's a perfectly acceptable number for 2 non-running cars lol-2.gif unsure.gif slap.gif
wes
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Aug 6 2018, 02:03 PM) *

QUOTE(Mblizzard @ Aug 6 2018, 10:06 AM) *

So when someone asks how much you've spent you can just tell them.....about two folders. biggrin.gif

I just say probably more than it’s worth to anyone but me, although far less than I’ve spent keeping my sailboat afloat, ya I had the one with the hole to fill with cash.
But then if I don’t spend it my wife’s up to giving it a try.
Coondog
I was lucky enough to buy a well documented 914. I have contacted every previous owner and have written a year to year timeline which includes mileage. I was fortunate that this was a Arz car so I had lots of smog receipts to go along with receipts from day one. With all my Patrick Motorsports receipts I doubled the size of my binder. I need to update but I am scared to look what I paid to PMS.
Click to view attachment
Larmo63
I could add up a few things here and there, but why? I couldn't care less. As Clay mentioned, it's about the smileage and friendships. We're all going to die someday, who cares?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.