Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Is it true love if you feel like cheating
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
nditiz1
As I write this I think about my nice little 73 - 2056 in my garage. She has given me some problems from the start, but I don't "love" her any less and she is running good. While I have always loved Porsche's and VW's (coming from beetles actually), I always dreamt of owning the 911. 914 has shown up in my life more than the 911 and when I was finally able to buy a Porsche the 914 was the affordable one (as funny as that sounds). A 77 with a 2.0 motor has caught my eye and I have this strong feeling to rid myself of the teen and plunge into the eleven. Still powered by a teen so that counts for something right? If money was no object, sure own both.

Am I being silly? Does this pull to the 911 and if I am so easy to cast the 914 aside mean the 914 is not my true love?

Maybe I need to snap out of it...but that 911 drooley.gif
mepstein
If it had a 6, yes. with a four, especially if its stock, it's a dog. Sorry but that's my opinion.
sithot
QUOTE(mepstein @ Aug 6 2018, 04:43 PM) *

If it had a 6, yes. with a four, especially if its stock, it's a dog. Sorry but that's my opinion.

It's slow and it sure is slow.
nditiz1
LOL, thanks Mark, that's what I need to hear!

The black 911 that Barbara's daughter is going to sport was looking good to me. That's my problem, I can't be around them too long looking at me, makes me question my whole relationship.
Tom_T
QUOTE(nditiz1 @ Aug 6 2018, 01:36 PM) *

As I write this I think about my nice little 73 - 2056 in my garage. She has given me some problems from the start, but I don't "love" her any less and she is running good. While I have always loved Porsche's and VW's (coming from beetles actually), I always dreamt of owning the 911. 914 has shown up in my life more than the 911 and when I was finally able to buy a Porsche the 914 was the affordable one (as funny as that sounds). A 77 with a 2.0 motor has caught my eye and I have this strong feeling to rid myself of the teen and plunge into the eleven. Still powered by a teen so that counts for something right? If money was no object, sure own both.

Am I being silly? Does this pull to the 911 and if I am so easy to cast the 914 aside mean the 914 is not my true love?

A 911 with a 914 2.0 is someone's cheapass solution to a blown 6, & an odd bastard that will have little value in the future - other than to put a proper 6 back in. It's like someone who missed out on the 76 912E & decided to bastardize a 77 911-6 .... I just don't get it.

Compared to your 914 - you won't like that 911-4 - as others have said, it's heaver than the 914 so power-to-wt. is lower, & you'll lose the mid-engined balance.

Keep your 914 - & if you really are still bugged by the NARP push for a 911, then look for a proper late 911 up to 964 aircooleds, or look for an early Boxster or Cayman which has had the IMS issue addressed as a newer Porsche-WBX6 to drive around.

JMHO! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
nditiz1
All good things I need to hear.

It's like hanging out with your friends and them giving you sound advice to not make that mistake you regret the rest of your life beerchug.gif
mb911
Wow someone put a 2.0 in a 77.. Not my 1st choice..

I have owned 5 911s of different years. Loved them all there is a reason they are all sold and I am back building a 914-6.
raynekat
A 77 with a 2.0? 4 cylinder equals 912 not 911. If it's a 6 cylinder 2.0, then wrong engone for the ar.
mepstein
QUOTE(nditiz1 @ Aug 6 2018, 04:50 PM) *

LOL, thanks Mark, that's what I need to hear!

The black 911 that Barbara's daughter is going to sport was looking good to me. That's my problem, I can't be around them too long looking at me, makes me question my whole relationship.

Hearing the whirl of the fan from the street while we were sitting in the back yard just reminded me that there is nothing like a 6. I'm sure a big Raby engine coule push that car nicely but you still miss the sound. Again, it's just me, for the right buyer, its the right car.
sithot
QUOTE(raynekat @ Aug 6 2018, 05:16 PM) *

A 77 with a 2.0? 4 cylinder equals 912 not 911. If it's a 6 cylinder 2.0, then wrong engone for the ar.

There was no '77 912. 1976 one year wonder (why) ....ahem.. cough cough...
fasthonda
Funny how everyone is bashing the heart of the 914. I don't care for the vw type 4 engine myself which is why I did a water cooled conversion on mine.
rjames
QUOTE(fasthonda @ Aug 6 2018, 02:26 PM) *

Funny how everyone is bashing the heart of the 914. I don't care for the vw type 4 engine myself which is why I did a water cooled conversion on mine.

No one's bashing the 914-4 engine in a 914 (in this thread anyway), they're bashing the idea of putting a 914-4 engine in a 911.
sithot
QUOTE(fasthonda @ Aug 6 2018, 05:26 PM) *

I'm not beating on it. It was just a bad idea.

mb911
QUOTE(sithot @ Aug 6 2018, 01:43 PM) *

QUOTE(fasthonda @ Aug 6 2018, 05:26 PM) *

I'm not beating on it. It was just a bad idea.

Agree .. A 76 912 I fine with just a backwards 77 conversion is odd. I would personally buy it and convert it back to 6 powered.
nditiz1
In fairness - yes it was kinda converted to a 912 E that did not exist in 77. The 2.0 while underpowered is not greek to me in fixing it. This bastard of a car also makes the price more appealing. You can check out the car I'm referencing in the ads. Brad Mayer has it for sale.

Raby monster or stock 6, not sure which is cheaper - probably the later.
EdwardBlume
I’m going to piss everyone off.

I like my /4 914 - Dads car. It’s a perfect predictable easy car to drive. I also like my 2.4 / 3.0 /6. I’ve driven many /6 Street and Race versions and I know what I’m getting.

Now for the messed up part.... I would only go for a water cooled 911. Price to performance is hard to miss in the 996, and the 997. The 991s are just bad ass.

Why not have both wives? The one that’s been with you forever and is sentuously predictable, and the supermodel....
Ed_Turbo
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Aug 6 2018, 01:53 PM) *

QUOTE(nditiz1 @ Aug 6 2018, 01:36 PM) *

A 911 with a 914 2.0 is someone's cheapass solution to a blown 6, & an odd bastard that will have little value in the future - other than to put a proper 6 back in. It's like someone who missed out on the 76 912E & decided to bastardize a 77 911-6 .... I just don't get it.

Compared to your 914 - you won't like that 911-4 - as others have said, it's heaver than the 914 so power-to-wt. is lower, & you'll lose the mid-engined balance.

Keep your 914 - & if you really are still bugged by the NARP push for a 911, then look for a proper late 911 up to 964 aircooleds, or look for an early Boxster or Cayman which has had the IMS issue addressed as a newer Porsche-WBX6 to drive around.

JMHO! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////

Nothing like a brutally honest opinion by Tom lol-2.gif. The concour types will stone you to death.

You my friend want a 912. That will fit you perfectly.

-Ed
bbrock
It's funny, I love the Type 4 in a 914, but the idea of shoving one in a 911 makes me wretch. I wonder though, how different this thread would play if OP was asking about ditching the 914 for a 912E. That little badge...
flmont
Yea..No doubt that would be a dog,..But, buy it and when you run across a 3.0 or a 2.7 then you could install it and have both,...My 77 with a built 3.0 Ltr was a nice running car,..and reliable as well..!! 77 has power brakes as standard..equipment
mepstein
Now give me a ‘66-912. I could probably live with the engine. biggrin.gif
IronHillRestorations
I got a '91 C2 Targa about 15 months ago and I love it. If you want an air/oil cooled 911 get a 964 or 993 there's so many improvements over the car they replaced.

I think the '77 that 914 Ltd is is selling (with the type 4 914 engine) is an exceptional car, but the 4 cyl engine has to be a big ding in long term value. If you had a nice strong 3.0 on the shelf, it would be a no brainer.
mb911
agree.gif

The 77 is a very nice car.. You could always buy it anf slowly search for the correct engine from a value stand point.

Also had a 964 once.. It was a great car..
PeeGreen 914
I think you would get tired of the 911 if it isn't really a 911 poke.gif .

I miss my 914-6 more than anything. I like my 911 with a 3.0l in it, but the amount of love I have for my 914-6 is greater. If someone held both out and told me to take one... I think I'd take my 914-6.
RickS
What you might buy is a 911 converted into a 912. Even though a 912 doesn’t have the power it has better balance than with the heavier 911 motor in the rear. There is a rabid 912 following with many preferring the economy, lighter, more comfortable, some say sexier and better cornering car. Spend some time perusing the 912 site to get some biased opinions on how wonderful these cars, which initially outsold 911s: http://www.912bbs.org.

Disclaimer: Never owned one but know a couple owners who love theirs. Have a friend who can build a Ruby style 4 at about 2/3s the cost if you want to go that way.
Mike Bellis
I had the 911 bug and bought a C2 cab. Gets you a little more respect with the non 914 crowd. Didn't handle as well and for some reason the interior fells smaller up front. My current 914 will run circles around most 911's.

Sold it and bought another 914... biggrin.gif

You will be back...
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Aug 6 2018, 09:08 PM) *

I had the 911 bug and bought a C2 cab. Gets you a little more respect with the non 914 crowd. Didn't handle as well and for some reason the interior fells smaller up front. My current 914 will run circles around most 911's.

Sold it and bought another 914... biggrin.gif

You will be back...

Funny thing about the 914 interior: More cubic feet than a Boxster, and more trunk feet too. All that safety...

And funny thing about 914s: 911s are nice, but they aren't 914s. I'd be hard-pressed to choose between them but had to years ago. Nice 1979 911 SC or my old 914. I reasoned that I would always be able to find another nice 911, but finding a good 914 back then was a lot harder.
billh1963
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=332179

This is the car in question....
r_towle
Really, having one of each seems to be the only solution
Evil Older Brother
My first P car was a '70 914 with a "huge" 1.7
Gave me a taste of the cars. Loved the handling and even the looks.

Later a '67 912 which gave me a whole different feel for the cars. Light and fun but like the 914, not a lot of power. You had to drive it the right way.

Current is a 991S which has a whole other feel with more than enough power to get me into trouble. Again, a similar but different car.

The bastard 912/911 you have could fit your needs or add the 6.

either way, the sounds coming from the back end (even water cooled) will make you smile.
23e Heure
I agree: if you can afford to have both a wife AND a mistress in your life, then you should do it.

Not sure how long I can keep it going, but I will enjoy playing dirty threesomes for as long as I possibly can!:

IPB Image

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.