Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 2 liter Fuchs---pics with black centers?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Jameel
I picked up a set of 2 liter Fuchs. They are stock finish. I'm thinking about putting them on the 914, but I'm not crazy about the bright look. I've sort of gotten used to my black steelies.

I'm wondering if the Fuchs would look good with entirely black centers (not just the lower area between the petals), but with the lips kept bright? Like the 911 Fuchs on the later cars.

I've dug through dozens of posts trying to find a car with this on it, but am coming up blank.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
mepstein
There was a set for sale a couple months ago. Whole wheel powder coated black.
VaccaRabite
I don't have pictures but they look awesome that way, and I have thought long and hard about doing the same myself.

Zach
mepstein
I do like the look. I would do it to a pair that needs to be refinished. I’m doing my flared Suby conversion in all black 7” cookies.
Chris914n6
You can get a spray can of black Plastidip at Lowes and try out the look cheap and easy. Mine came out good enough I left it on.

The thing about black is it hides the character of the wheels, so it doesn't really matter what the wheels are.
mepstein
Love this look
Porschef
Did this a while back.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...s+good+riddance
Jameel
We'll I found a few minutes to do a little photoshopping. I'm liking the charcoal gray centers. But I like the plastidip idea ! What do you all think?
JeffBowlsby
I think they are really good color matched to the car too. What a timeless and versatile wheel design.

George's excellent Japan market 914SL.
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(Jameel @ Aug 7 2018, 09:23 AM) *

I picked up a set of 2 liter Fuchs. They are stock finish. I'm thinking about putting them on the 914, but I'm not crazy about the bright look. I've sort of gotten used to my black steelies.

I'm wondering if the Fuchs would look good with entirely black centers (not just the lower area between the petals), but with the lips kept bright? Like the 911 Fuchs on the later cars.

I've dug through dozens of posts trying to find a car with this on it, but am coming up blank.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Many that's a nice looking set of Fuchs in the original finishes—and trip on those cool old POTENZA sidewalls. Too bad those are likely rock hard.

Fwiw, would be a pity to see those nice originals get refinished when there are plenty of Fuchs out there that need to be painted or redone. Maybe not what you want to hear, but maybe try them on for a while and see if they "grow" on you? Those original finishes look GREAT with silver cars...or any color just about. Do like the silver on black wheels thing, as well. Anyway, just a quick input that may go against the grain, offered respectfully...

(Suggestion to try Plasti-Dip for the centers only might be a very smart way to go...as it is reversible later.)
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(mepstein @ Aug 7 2018, 12:53 PM) *

Love this look

And yeah, that is cool...
Jameel

Many that's a nice looking set of Fuchs in the original finishes—and trip on those cool old POTENZA sidewalls. Too bad those are likely rock hard.

Fwiw, would be a pity to see those nice originals get refinished when there are plenty of Fuchs out there that need to be painted or redone. Maybe not what you want to hear, but maybe try them on for a while and see if they "grow" on you? Those original finishes look GREAT with silver cars...or any color just about. Do like the silver on black wheels thing, as well. Anyway, just a quick input that may go against the grain, offered respectfully...

(Suggestion to try Plasti-Dip for the centers only might be a very smart way to go...as it is reversible later.)

Thanks Pete! I completely agree. Just playing around with ideas. There is more cool factor. I bought these from Bonneville Porsche racer Tom Bruch, they'd been under his workbench for decades. These may have even been raced in period as some point. Tom is 84 now, and has forgotten more things about these cars than I'll ever know. "Grow on me" good idea. I do hate to touch them, as I'm a big fan of original use condition, to a point. These definitely meet that, and I've got a spare, so I might just hang one on the wall with the old Potenza, which are very old and bald. They got loved! Tom has three daughters and they all drove inexpensive used 914's during high school. Cool stuff.
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(Jameel @ Aug 8 2018, 07:38 AM) *

Thanks Pete! I completely agree. Just playing around with ideas. There is more cool factor. I bought these from Bonneville Porsche racer Tom Bruch, they'd been under his workbench for decades. These may have even been raced in period as some point. Tom is 84 now, and has forgotten more things about these cars than I'll ever know. "Grow on me" good idea. I do hate to touch them, as I'm a big fan of original use condition, to a point. These definitely meet that, and I've got a spare, so I might just hang one on the wall with the old Potenza, which are very old and bald. They got loved! Tom has three daughters and they all drove inexpensive used 914's during high school. Cool stuff.

GENIUS idea. Love it!! smilie_pokal.gif

Those Potenzas are so cool. That pic stopped me in my tracks.

Also, while I can't explain why, there is just something about that subtle contrast seen in the milky-ish finish on the "backgrounds" of the 914 Fuchs against their polished clear anodized sections that has only gotten better with time for me...so much so, that I had a set of five-lug deep sixes finished in the same way.

If I still had a four-lug 914, there are two wheels I'd have: Factory Fuchs in factory finishes with just the right tires on, and then a set of black-centered late steelies, widened like Dan had on his orange car. Okay, and maybe some vintage four-lug Minilites, too. And few four-lug 914s look better to me than Jenny's old silver car, which reminds me of yours. Love the interplay of the black and silver...and the plainer the better. chowtime.gif
Jameel
Ha! Sounds like you need a 4 lug car just to satisfy your wheel cravings. biggrin.gif

I've got a friend with a '71 914, original owner, same color as mine, and he's still driving it. He used to take me around in it when I was a kid.

Love the simple cars too. Except I couldn't resist this Victor wheel, totally changes how the car drives vs the stock ebonite 380mm.

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.