Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mallory Unilite
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Natedog
UNBELIEVEABLE IMPROVEMENT!

On Sunday I drove down to Denver in my 914 to meet Joe D and pick up a Mallory Unilite Distributor. Last night I installed it and took it for a spin.
WOW!
I had been running with an old 009 with mechanical points. So the Mallory is an extreme upgrade! No more hesitation out of first, smooth strong power all the way to 5500 RPMs, quick start, totally responsive pedal.... all around I'd say 30-40% improvement in driveability and performance!

I'm ready to race wink.gif

Cheers,
Nate

PS: Props to Jake Raby for dialing the dizzy in. Nice work! pray.gif
PPS: Many thanks Joe!! beerchug.gif
Aaron Cox
great feeling isnt it smile.gif
Mueller
when you are ready to install a Mallory HyFire CDI, let me know, mine will be for sale soon....about 45miles on it (90 if you include the AAA tow job smile.gif )

My Link ECU does not like it so I am going to a MSD box instead.
lagunero
Nate, did you need to manipulate the cooling tin for fit?
Aaron Cox
its all in how you index the dizzy my friend.....
Natedog
"Nate, did you need to manipulate the cooling tin for fit? "

No changes to the tin. It was a really easy install. The oil pressure sending unit did NOT have to be moved either - I had heard that it would. The only thing that might get in the way are the cap clips. One of them stops the dizzy from rotating clockwise. But I don't think it will be a problem.

I still have to dial it all in.... valve adjust, carb sync, timing.... all that. I'm running dual Weber 44 IDF's. So I don't know if the "Mallory HyFire CDI" is applicable for my set up. Is it? What is it?

Timing..... 12 degrees at idle 900-1000 RPM and 28 total advance at 2500 RPMs????????? Is that right?

Cheers,
Nate
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (Natedog @ Jun 14 2005, 08:39 AM)
"Nate, did you need to manipulate the cooling tin for fit? "

No changes to the tin. It was a really easy install. The oil pressure sending unit did NOT have to be moved either - I had heard that it would. The only thing that might get in the way are the cap clips. One of them stops the dizzy from rotating clockwise. But I don't think it will be a problem.

I still have to dial it all in.... valve adjust, carb sync, timing.... all that. I'm running dual Weber 44 IDF's. So I don't know if the "Mallory HyFire CDI" is applicable for my set up. Is it? What is it?

Timing..... 12 degrees at idle 900-1000 RPM and 28 total advance at 2500 RPMs????????? Is that right?

Cheers,
Nate

you used teh degree keys in unlilite tuning kit to set the physical advance yes?

12 and 28 is what is reccomended. im running it too. works great.

the oil psi sender needs to be relocated IF and ONLY IF (IFF) you are using the dual sender (gauge + idiot light).

CDI - capacitive discharge ignition.... hotter spark/multiple spark rig. good stuff

AA
Natedog
This is one of Jake Raby's Mallory's. He worked the 914/Type IV magic on it. So all I had to do was stick it in!

I don't have the oil psi with gauge and light...so that make it easy.

CDI sounds cool. I could run it with my carb set up? Yes?

I'm still blown away about this upgrade! What a difference! boldblue.gif
Jake Raby
No one ever believes me when I tell them how shitty the VW dizzy is in spark delivery and accuracy. The main thing that kills them is the fact that the spark advance is scattered all over the place and not stable. On the dyno I see a 2 degree timing change make 10HP all the time, so what happens when your advance is all over the place- lack of efficiency...

The Mallory is the single biggest upgrade that can be bolted on to one of these engines, even more so than a good exhaust. The higher initial advance values with the faster curve that I set the dizzy up with helps to get the engine's efficiency higher below peak torque and thats where the TIV is laziest with carbs especially. The ability to both increase initial advance and limit total advance at high RPM as piston speed increases and advance is not needed as much makes the Mallory the best damn dizzy that can be installed in this engine- Every car I own has one...

Buying yours from the Type 4 store means your install will go just as smoothly as Nate's drop it in and you have a dyno tuned combo- No guesswork!
JmuRiz
Welcome back Jake! Good to hear of this smooth install. Question, with the new FI motors coming out, will you still use the Mallory, or something else?
brer
compatible with stock FI though?

kenpolives
I've never taken out a distributor, is is just a screw or 2 and lift out or is there a lot more?
TROJANMAN
QUOTE (brer @ Jun 14 2005, 08:37 AM)

if so, can you please pm me a price (jake). thanks
Natedog
I've never taken out a distributor, is is just a screw or 2 and lift out or is there a lot more?

There's a clamp that holds it tight and allows for adjustment. Once the clamp is loose, the dizzy just pulls out. There's a rubber O-ring on the shaft that will give a little resitance. The 'gear' at the bottom of the dizzy is offset so it lines up with the distributor driveshaft gear.

It's easy enough, but be sure to read up on it and get some advice/help from the pros here on the forum.

Cheers
Nate
MattR
QUOTE (Natedog @ Jun 14 2005, 09:16 AM)

There's a clamp that holds it tight and allows for adjustment. Once the clamp is loose, the dizzy just pulls out. There's a rubber O-ring on the shaft that will give a little resitance. The 'gear' at the bottom of the dizzy is offset so it lines up with the distributor driveshaft gear.

It's easy enough, but be sure to read up on it and get some advice/help from the pros here on the forum.

Cheers
Nate

One more thing to watch out for: the anti-chatter spring between the distributor drive gear and the distributor. You do NOT want to lose that in the engine. Just pull the distributor out carefully and keep an eye on that spring.
Jake Raby
Most of my engines will use stand alone EFI without direct fire ignition to simplify tuning and keep the engine simpler. Only Super Hero engine have the choice for direct fire ignition..

Yes, The EFI systems will be complimented by the Mallory- I have not built an engine without a Mallory in 4 years.

I'm not back- I'm going through my posts here and doing some pruning of data and using some of the data to include in my sealants handbook..
Mueller
One more thing to watch out for: the anti-chatter spring between the distributor drive gear and the distributor. You do NOT want to lose that in the engine. Just pull the distributor out carefully and keep an eye on that spring.

hmmmm, I've taken my dizzy out so many times while troubleshooting my FI, I wonder if I even have that spring there...thanks for the reminder, I gotta look for it tom.

1.8 w/L-Jet = yes
1.7-2.0 w/D-Jet = no and yes*

*if you can figure out a way to trigger the ignition points, I built an electronic circuit for my d-jet, a newer, simpler and more robust circuit will be tested when Fiid comes back from New Zealand......Ray Greenwood(??) is or was making a new mechanical setup that would fit into a Mallory or MSD dizzy, not sure where he is with it right now.

root
thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif

for someone like me! I gotta see the installation, text blows my mind!
If you post a pic I'll know how you rotated it out of the way of the tin too! biggrin.gif

Like this: here's a dizzy on a hachiroku w/legs
crash914
Hey, mike,.

I might be interested in the mallory CDI....shoot me a pm..thanks!
Tab914
Jake, you have a pm

Cheers, Dominic.
Natedog
Howdy,

I'm jump-starting my thread again....

So I've got the Mallory in there and everything seems to be working great. But I am having a bit of trouble adjusting the timing.
The Mallory fits in real nice but it's limited as to how far clockwise it can turn because the rotor cap clips bump into the tin.

I think I've got just enough advance, but I'd like to be able to move it a bit more. The only thing I can think to do is to modify the tin to give it room to move.

Does anyone else have a similar set up???

Here's a picture of what I'm looking at.....

Thank you!
Nate
Natedog
Just for fun....
here's a picture of the 914.....
biggrin.gif
Natedog
sorry about the SUPER SIZE on that pic.....

Cheers
Nate
Mueller
move the 1 wire to 4, 4 wire to 3, 3 wire to 2, 2 wire to 1.....rotate dizzy CC

(I think that is how mine is, no interferance problem
Jake Raby
And you had better throw that coil away, or add a ballast resistor in line with it before you fry the Mallory..

The only coil that doesn't require a Ballast resistor is a Bosch Blue.

I sell the resistors as well for 18.95

If you run the Mallory Hyfire you don't need the resistor.
Natedog
You guys are FAST!

move the 1 wire to 4, 4 wire to 3, 3 wire to 2, 2 wire to 1.....rotate dizzy CC

1. Ok - so switch the wires around a bit and I'll be able to adjust the dizzy. Thanks Mueller.

The only coil that doesn't require a Ballast resistor is a Bosch Blue.

I think I've got a Bosch Blue on the shelf. I'll plug it in tonight. I sure don't want to blow the Mallory. Thanks Jake

Cheers,
Nate
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.