Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Taco Plate/Oil Sump Cover
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
9144me2enjoy
1973 914-2.0L. Do they make a Oil Sump Cover/Taco plate that is blank without the sending unit hole in it? The 2 bolts that hold/secure the Taco plate to the housing is it best to use rubber washers or the regular copper washer to keep from leaking? Thanks
KevinW
Yes. Do you need one? I post a picture.
914sgofast2
"Standard" cars without the sending unit, as do VW 411's & Buses w/Type 4 engines (the 1970's Baywindows and early 1980's Vanagons), all use a taco plate without a hole for the oil temperature sending unit. They did not have oil temperature gauges from the factory.

As for the taco plate bolt washers, I use the copper ones from the engine gasket set, but they leak. I suppose you could try your local hardware store for a washer with a rubber sealing gasket bonded to it; I think they are called something like "stat-o-seal" washers.
Mike D.
9144me2enjoy
That’s good info to know about the other options on the taco plate. I found some washers with rubber washers attached at Home Depot, works great. Thanks
Mark Henry
A lot of the time a leaking taco plate is because the m6 threads are stripped.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.