Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Help oil bath oil filter
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
milwlandrover
Good morning, I went to clean up the engine compartment of my 914 1.7 and I took of the air cleaner cover and there was no air cleaner. Further more there was oil in the air cleaner pan. I was worried something might be wrong so I cleaned all the oil from the cleaner and when I went to order a filter I started reading about an "oil bath" air cleaner. Now I am wondering if there was supposed to be oil in my air filter pan?
mepstein
Yes. The early cars had oil bath filters. I just use whatever cheap oil I have laying around from FLAPS. There is a fill mark inside. Just don't tip the air cleaner when you are removing or installing.
milwlandrover
There was no air filter in the housing. Can you get an Oil Bath for a 1971 at Pelican or do you have a different recommendation?
BeatNavy
QUOTE(milwlandrover @ Aug 8 2018, 08:54 AM) *

There was no air filter in the housing. Can you get an Oil Bath for a 1971 at Pelican or do you have a different recommendation?

Mostly likely you're going to need to put a WTB in the classifieds. Should be plenty available I would think. I have one somewhere I'd probably be ready to let go...if I can find it smile.gif
mepstein
QUOTE(milwlandrover @ Aug 8 2018, 08:54 AM) *

There is no air filter, just oil
milwlandrover
Thanks Guys!
milwlandrover
Forgive me for being naive, but right now I cleaned the oil out of the pan and there is no air filter (although there is room for one and there appears to be one in the PET (but that is for 1972).

I should add oil to the red line and NOT put an air filter in at all?

Am I reading that right?
BeatNavy
IIRC, inside the housing there is a fibrous material that when coated with oil effectively acts as a filter element. You simply add oil to the mark and it will do its thing. There is no paper filter to purchase or insert. My 1972 originally came with an oil bath filter.

I was under the impression you didn't have the housing with the fibrous thing.
milwlandrover
I don't have a "housing". I have just the air filter (looks like a normal housing for an air filter). no "fiberous" lining. All metal. I wiped it clean. Now if I start the motor the oil light comes on? I'm confused.
BeatNavy
QUOTE(milwlandrover @ Aug 8 2018, 11:16 AM) *

I'm confused.

I am too blink.gif

Oil bath filter should have NOTHING to do with engine oil pressure light or any light on the dash.

Might help if you show us some pictures.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
the oil bath was round and steel, all 70-72 914-4 cars wore it. If you have one, you just clean it and fill it with oil to the red line. It works well so keep it.

QUOTE(milwlandrover @ Aug 8 2018, 05:34 AM) *

Good morning, I went to clean up the engine compartment of my 914 1.7 and I took of the air cleaner cover and there was no air cleaner. Further more there was oil in the air cleaner pan. I was worried something might be wrong so I cleaned all the oil from the cleaner and when I went to order a filter I started reading about an "oil bath" air cleaner. Now I am wondering if there was supposed to be oil in my air filter pan?

milwlandrover
Great! thanks for your help guys!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.