Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Not worth the $$$ .. ?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Beakster
There seems to be an ongoing debate about putting the money into building up a T4 4cyl engine to investing the extra time $$$ and the extra work involved in putting in a 6cyl in a 914 .. These 914's need enough basic restoring just to keep them road worthy then looking to add extra cost in non stock or easy engine swaps .. Every swap that isn't a type 4 seems to be a lot of extra $$$ .... Time....and Big Time WORK .. There are NO easy and affordable swaps on these cars .. (That I have ran into SO FAR ) It is getting harder and More expensive to track down good used parts for 914s especially the 2.0 heads .. Like a member had told me before I got the car Quote : There is no way you can budget in fixing up a 914 you will be always be battling $$$ VS Being satisfied ...

So it's welcome.png I guess ... LOL
Coondog
Your going to get lots of opinions on this one, for me it was easy. I was on a Route 66 rally driving through up and down hills by Prescott Arz. After being blown away by all the Six’s I knew what I had to do..........Even told Larmo, I gotta get a Six.... driving.gif
aggiezig
I have around 5k in my 2056 rebuild and I started with some good core parts. I still have to buy an exhaust and cooling flap hardware. I frankly don't have the cash to dish out three times that for a six no matter how bad I want one.

I'm not sure what the average going rate is for conversion cars. I would want to make sure I could get my $$$ back out of it if I ever needed to sell. I've seen them sell between low 30s and upper 60s. Hard to say.
Beakster
QUOTE(aggiezig @ Aug 8 2018, 10:18 AM) *

I have around 5k in my 2056 rebuild and I started with some good core parts. I still have to buy an exhaust and cooling flap hardware. I frankly don't have the cash to dish out three times that for a six no matter how bad I want one.

I'm not sure what the average going rate is for conversion cars. I would want to make sure I could get my $$$ back out of it if I ever needed to sell. I've seen them sell between low 30s and upper 60s. Hard to say.

agree.gif
ClayPerrine
For me, once I drove a 914 (thanks Betty!) I knew I had to own one.

Once I knew a six was available in a 914 I had to have one.

Now I want MORE.. that's why I am doing the 4.0L engine.

More horsepower....... More Horsepower... More HorsePower!

But to each his own. Betty loves her /4 and I like driving it. I love driving Elwood, our stock six. I can admire a Suby or Chevy conversion for the skill and craftsmanship it takes to build. I would drive one if someone offered, but I don't want to own one.

To me, it's not about the money. It is getting what I want out of the car. It's your car, so if you want to put a Miata engine in a 914.. go for it.

Meet The Porzda

mepstein
The issue with a six is you have to plan on spending 1-3X what your engine cost for all the conversion parts. So budget $10-20k in addition to your six engine to get it done. Some will say you can do it for less but unless you are good at swapping, scrounging, fabricating and waiting, $10K is a good minimum to plan in addition to the engine. 4’s just bolt back on with maybe $400 for extra oil cooling.
Beakster
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Aug 8 2018, 11:31 AM) *

For me, once I drove a 914 (thanks Betty!) I knew I had to own one.

Once I knew a six was available in a 914 I had to have one.

Now I want MORE.. that's why I am doing the 4.0L engine.

More horsepower....... More Horsepower... More HorsePower!

But to each his own. Betty loves her /4 and I like driving it. I love driving Elwood, our stock six. I can admire a Suby or Chevy conversion for the skill and craftsmanship it takes to build. I would drive one if someone offered, but I don't want to own one.

To me, it's not about the money. It is getting what I want out of the car. It's your car, so if you want to put a Miata engine in a 914.. go for it.

Meet The Porzda

Mo money $$$ MORE MONEY $$$ LOL !!
rhodyguy
The engine $ itself is a bit staggering. Then add in all that goes with the swap and you're doing a faceplant. HE or headers, exhaust, the engine mount, carbs/FI good, oil tank and on and on. Parts needed for the engine, machine work and potentially farming out the labor? I think $20k is on the light side all in.
mepstein
Then there’s rebuilding the six that you expected to use as-is. Add another $10k.
Mark Henry
There was a point back several years ago that for similar /4 vs /6 HP expectations you may as well do the /6, but with the price of doing a /6 now it's no longer the case.

You can go balls in with a /4, nickies, etc and still be nowhere near the cost of a stock /6. Like Mark is saying, you could do a healthy /4 for just the cost of the /6 conversion parts and extras.
Mueller
I'll have about $2,000 into my 250HP+ 6 conversion...of course it helps that it is a Honda V6 motor which can be bought for $500 all day long smile.gif

If I had a bigger budget I'd do a real /6, but for now that is not in the cards.

I was building a stock 1.8 and finally got fed up throwing money at a sub-100hp engine and made the decision to go water cooled.
mepstein
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Aug 8 2018, 02:50 PM) *

There was a point back several years ago that for similar /4 vs /6 HP expectations you may as well do the /6, but with the price of doing a /6 now it's no longer the case.

You can go balls in with a /4, nickies, etc and still be nowhere near the cost of a stock /6. Like Mark is saying, you could do a healthy /4 for just the cost of the /6 conversion parts and extras.

Plus, if you’re not a builder, you can send away your 4 to someone who is, get it back and bolt it back on in an afternoon.

It all just depends on your goal and how much time and money you have to get there.
nditiz1
And you guys think buying that 911 with a 2.0 Djet is a bad idea rolleyes.gif

I can get that and a Raby Max and be blowing the doors of the real 911 6's LOL
mepstein
Raby charges ~ $20K for one of his engines. Just buy the car and drop in a 3.2. Then you have something.

I wonder if that “912” has a 901 trans or they left in the 915.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(mepstein @ Aug 8 2018, 02:22 PM) *

All 911/912e cars had a 915 trans starting 1972. The 912E has a bastardized 915 that will hook to the 215MM clutch used on the 914 2.0 motor. Different input shaft and throwout bearing arm. The rest is the same as any other 915.

And it still shifts like stromberg.gif

mepstein
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Aug 8 2018, 03:31 PM) *

All 911/912e cars had a 915 trans starting 1972. The 912E has a bastardized 915 that will hook to the 215MM clutch used on the 914 2.0 motor. Different input shaft and throwout bearing arm. The rest is the same as any other 915.

This was the 1977 “912” that has a non original type 4.
Mblizzard
I too struggled with this. While not close to being at the top of its potential my 2.3 build recently dyno tested produces more HP and torque than a stock 6.

I am under no impression that it provides the HP and torque it at all of the right places that make a 6 so sweet, but it is really fun to drive at a less than insane cost.

While there is little that goes beyond a Raby build, you can still build a 4 that will be a solid performer and is very drivable. If you are among the insane like Clay, then a 4 will never be enough power regardless of who builds it.

But like the old saying goes the only thing that beats cubic inches is cubic dollars.

Also I think with the very low cost of modern fuel control and timing systems you can squeeze a lot out of a 4.

But would I trade my 4 for a 6? Yep no question. Do I want to pay for the 6? Not so much.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(Mblizzard @ Aug 8 2018, 03:12 PM) *

. If you are among the insane like Clay, then a 4 will never be enough power regardless of who builds it.

I AM NOT INSANE!

My parents had me tested.

And the voices in my head want you to know they don't like you.......

In an insane world, the sane man must appear insane.

Mblizzard
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Aug 8 2018, 12:15 PM) *

QUOTE(Mblizzard @ Aug 8 2018, 03:12 PM) *

. If you are among the insane like Clay, then a 4 will never be enough power regardless of who builds it.

I AM NOT INSANE!

My parents had me tested.

And the voices in my head want you to know they don't like you.......

In an insane world, the sane man must appear insane.

As I often tell my self "I know the voices in my head are not real, but damn they come up with some really good ideas."
nditiz1

Are you saying the 915 shifts like stromberg.gif or the 901?
mepstein
QUOTE(nditiz1 @ Aug 8 2018, 04:42 PM) *

901 feels better/lighter. 915 is stronger and better geared for a big 6.
mb911
I can tell you this as I build 75% of the parts to do a conversion that the major conversion parts cost not including flywheel setup based off of engine

Heat exchangers $2200
Oil tank $700
Oil filler neck $125
Soft oil lines $265-$350 depends on size
Gt hard lines$690
Gt front oil cooler setup$ 1000
Muffler 6-800
Engine sheet metal $500
Engine hard line $350

Engine mount , flywheel,throttle linkage still not included in the price. Good running 2.0-2.7 are still reasonable if they are the lower hp variants..

If you are hands on and choose a smaller displacement engine you can save money on external oil coolers and I know I for one offer kit pricing on my parts.

Type 4s are good engine's but just not my thing.. It is stupid to say but for me its all about the fan whirring for me..

I think on a low side 10k gets you everything you need to do the conversion but that is keeping things simple..
SKL1
NOTHING sounds like a good flat six engine, especially 6" behind your head... case closed.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(nditiz1 @ Aug 8 2018, 03:42 PM) *

The 901 shifts fine. But it can't handle the horsepower of a big motor. The 915 handles the horsepower better, but it shifts terrible. I hate driving a car with one. The G-50 is much better, but you can't flip the differential on them so they will work in a 914. headbang.gif

phillstek
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Aug 9 2018, 07:50 AM) *

QUOTE(nditiz1 @ Aug 8 2018, 03:42 PM) *

The 901 shifts fine. But it can't handle the horsepower of a big motor. The 915 handles the horsepower better, but it shifts terrible. I hate driving a car with one. The G-50 is much better, but you can't flip the differential on them so they will work in a 914. headbang.gif

Converting my car to a 915 has been one the upgrades that has made driving my car such a pleasure. The difference is chalk and cheese. Sure it requires a firm hand sometimes and getting 1st is a little stubborn but always downshifting through 2nd when coming to a stop solves that.

The 901 linkage was vague and the dog leg first gear made it a chore in traffic.

The only issue with the 915 for me is the 4-5 shift when really driving it hard, it feels like the linkage is binding a bit. I put this down to the long rod flexing at speed.

Knowing that the transmission can handle the hp and having the right ratios is a big plus.

The 915 is not so good with small displacement 6s, had mine hooked up to my 2.2 and the ratios sucked.
morgan_harwell
I did my 6 conversion over the Winter of 1987/88, ~240K miles ago.
I installed a 1973 911T 2.4L engine with CIS Fuel Injection. That same engine is still in the 914 today.
I drive it all the time (weather permitting).

When the 914 was a 4cyl car, it was "fun" to drive.
With the 6cyl engine, it is "exhilarating" to drive.

It has most definitely been worth the $$$ biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.