Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: mps compatibility
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bowzer
Heres a question I dont think I have run accross yet.Ive got a 1973 1.7 that I transplanted a 2.0 into, that i bought from Tailwind.somewhere ive read that the mp sensor is different.i gave it no thought when i installed the 2.0 and all the extras.there is a slight hesitation like the old choked cars till it warms up.other than that it runs good,nice power bump too.so since it just plugged in and seems ok,what would the symptoms of non compatibility be,thanks
BeatNavy
QUOTE(bowzer @ Aug 10 2018, 08:46 PM) *

Heres a question I dont think I have run accross yet.Ive got a 1973 1.7 that I transplanted a 2.0 into, that i bought from Tailwind.somewhere ive read that the mp sensor is different.i gave it no thought when i installed the 2.0 and all the extras.there is a slight hesitation like the old choked cars till it warms up.other than that it runs good,nice power bump too.so since it just plugged in and seems ok,what would the symptoms of non compatibility be,thanks

If understand you correctly, you used your 1.7 fuel injection components on the 2.0 engine? There are key components that are NOT interchangeable between 1.7 and 2.0. Even between different MY 2.0's components need to be matched. In your case, the MPS and the ECU must be 2.0 and also must be compatible with each other.

Read this: https://members.rennlist.com/pbanders/djetparts.htm

The first table will tell you which MPS and ECU part numbers work for 2.0, and the ECU/MPS compatibility table 1/2 down the page will tell you which ones work together. For example, you could run an MPS (P/N ends in 043) and an ECU (P/N also ends in 043).

Injectors are also different between 1.7 and 2.0.
bowzer
QUOTE(BeatNavy @ Aug 11 2018, 05:22 AM) *

QUOTE(bowzer @ Aug 10 2018, 08:46 PM) *

If understand you correctly, you used your 1.7 fuel injection components on the 2.0 engine? There are key components that are NOT interchangeable between 1.7 and 2.0. Even between different MY 2.0's components need to be matched. In your case, the MPS and the ECU must be 2.0 and also must be compatible with each other.

Read this: https://members.rennlist.com/pbanders/djetparts.htm

The first table will tell you which MPS and ECU part numbers work for 2.0, and the ECU/MPS compatibility table 1/2 down the page will tell you which ones work together. For example, you could run an MPS (P/N ends in 043) and an ECU (P/N also ends in 043).

Injectors are also different between 1.7 and 2.0.

Thanks for the reply,Let me clarify.the 2.0 is a 1976 with all related 2.0 fuel injection parts plus ecu.not thinking that the M P sensor was any different,they look the same,im running the 2.0 engine with the 1.7 mps.knowing now that this isnt right, my question is what would the effect of the wrong sensor have on the drivability be,hope that makes better sense.always learning from all of you.thank you
BeatNavy
If you reused the 1.7L MPS it will be incompatible with 2.0 ECU and the engine displacement. In short, you will be running lean. Car is drivable but you will have lean type symptoms (e.g., maybe some bucking during warm-up, elevated head temps, and generally less power), and running lean is bad for the engine and heads.

Find an MPS compatible with your ECU based on that ECU/MPS compatibility table.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.