Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: turn signal replacement
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Cool914
I was chasing down a non-functional windshield wiper when I started to take apart the steering column to remove the turn signal switch since it was bad (worked but had to fiddle with it to work) and I can't figure out how to remove it to replace it.

It is a 71 so it is just the signal no wiper part that is on the dash. I can't pull it off the column since there is not enough slack. It seems like they just trace down to this connection under the dash.

Do I need to pry the half that has the wires ( I took off the cover cap on one side and just sat it on it for the pic, the other half didn't have one I presume the previous ownerbroke it or it is in the pile of parts that came with the car) do I need to separate the 2 pieces and if so how? I guess I then need to pull the pins out of it so I can snake the wires through the column? You can see the bottom corner of the connection cracked off, it was already cracked and hanging there when I first grabbed it, and the wire slug end has broken off. I guess I need to find another one of those connectors, if someone has a spare let me know.Click to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
914Sixer
Early turn signal switches are a big problem. The column was sourced from a VW Type 3. You can get a Type 3 switch but you will have to soldier up the connections after you get the wires through harness.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
exactly, not fun what so ever

QUOTE(914Sixer @ Aug 11 2018, 05:56 AM) *

Early turn signal switches are a big problem. The column was sourced from a VW Type 3. You can get a Type 3 switch but you will have to soldier up the connections after you get the wires through harness.

JeffBowlsby
biggrin.gif
Cool914
Thanks paydirt! That will save a lot of time. Now to order the switch and get the soldering iron out. I should have a fix for the broken connector, will update.

QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Aug 11 2018, 08:22 AM) *

biggrin.gif

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.