Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Improving tail lights
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Rusty
Maybe (probably) this has been done in the last ten years. But I'd like to improve my rear lights.

Two things:

1. Are reasonably priced rear lenses available? I gave away a NOS set a while back... not my best decision, but not my worst.

2. I'd like to improve the lighting in general. My thoughts are that the 40+ year old reflective paint inside could use brightening. Also, LED technology has gone a long way. Do we have any lessons learned on either?

thanks,
Rusty
Coondog
Spokeworksled.com

Best upgrade for lighting out there.
mepstein
QUOTE(Coondog @ Aug 11 2018, 06:07 PM) *

Spokeworksled.com

agree.gif 100%
bandjoey
on the cheap, LED replacement bulbs. backup is brighter. use red leds in brake and tail lights. 50% brighter

https://www.superbrightleds.com/cat/tail-br...ASAAEgLsCfD_BwE

spray paint chrome in the buckets and you're good to go. Spokes are probably 100% brighter...just cost a little more.

search led's here...there's a thread somewhere with a list of all the bulb numbers for superbrightleds.
ClayPerrine
Rusty,
Do you want me to bring you a can of chrome spray paint? We still have two of them we used on a PURPLE 914 a while back.... poke.gif

biggrin.gif

TheCabinetmaker
Wow! Welcome voice from the past!
Rand
I don't know what it is, but it's stronger than RUSTyoelum.
Rusty
QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ Aug 11 2018, 06:39 PM) *

Hey man... can you guess what I still have in my 914?
TheCabinetmaker
Hmmm, does it sit in the console?
Jett
For chroming platic taillights I use http://gcartrim.com

IIRC we paid $150 per set and they look brand new.
ValcoOscar
QUOTE(Coondog @ Aug 11 2018, 03:07 PM) *

Spokeworksled.com

agree.gif

5 min install!!!!
Rusty
QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ Aug 15 2018, 06:40 AM) *

Hmmm, does it sit in the console?

smile.gif
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(Rusty @ Aug 15 2018, 07:02 AM) *

A pink tu-tu and rubber galoshes?
Rusty
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Aug 15 2018, 09:08 AM) *

QUOTE(Rusty @ Aug 15 2018, 07:02 AM) *

A pink tu-tu and rubber galoshes?

cheer.gif
ConeDodger
Spokeworks...
7TPorsh
I put an led panel behind the reflector and wired to the brake. Light shines through pretty bright.
Easy and doubled the brake light output. Have to get a picture and post.
7TPorsh
I put an led panel behind the reflector and wired to the brake. Light shines through pretty bright.
Easy and doubled the brake light output. Have to get a picture and post.
malcolm2
QUOTE(mepstein @ Aug 11 2018, 05:14 PM) *

QUOTE(Coondog @ Aug 11 2018, 06:07 PM) *

Spokeworksled.com

agree.gif 100%

aktion035.gif
oakdalecurtis
Here's what LED strip behind reflector plus third light looks like lit up....

Click to view attachment
ValcoOscar
QUOTE(oakdalecurtis @ Aug 15 2018, 12:16 PM) *

Here's what LED strip behind reflector plus third light looks like lit up....

NICE!!!

Photo I took a few weeks ago.

drunk.gif

Click to view attachment
Spoke
If you decide to use bulbs or LEDs that use the reflector, try reflective tape like this stuff from 3m. Here's what one guy did to improve the reflective property of his dull TR6 reflectors.

3M Scotchlite Reflective Tape, Silver, 2-Inch by 36-Inch

Click to view attachment
RickS
Added SuperBright 1157 LEDs as brake lights and they are pretty darned bright. Only issue is a faint glow of one of my idiot lights due to lack of resistance. Have a couple of resistors but am hesitant to hack into the wiring loom.
914forme
Add a resistor pigtail. Male Spade on one end, female on the other. Solder the resistor into a heat shrinked loom with a wire pig tail on each end. Plug it in on your light circuit. Tail light location seems to be the most logical for this.

Easily done, easily reversed.
Rusty
Hey fellas, thanks for all the feedback.

The LED modules look great, but I may have to budget for them. That reflective tape is a brilliant idea (no pun intended). For seven bucks and some sweat equity, it might be a short-term solution. smile.gif
Mblizzard
After seeing this I pulled the trigger on the SpokeWorks! I have added LED bulbs and extra LEDs to mine which help and are worth while. But it doesn't even compare to what these do!. Also got the from Euro lights. If it is worth doing, it is worth over doing!
malcolm2
QUOTE(Mblizzard @ Aug 16 2018, 01:52 PM) *

After seeing this I pulled the trigger on the SpokeWorks! I have added LED bulbs and extra LEDs to mine which help and are worth while. But it doesn't even compare to what these do!. Also got the from Euro lights. If it is worth doing, it is worth over doing!

If they turn BLUE don’t go to NC. blink.gif
malcolm2
QUOTE(Rusty @ Aug 16 2018, 12:42 PM) *

Hey fellas, thanks for all the feedback.

The LED modules look great, but I may have to budget for them. That reflective tape is a brilliant idea (no pun intended). For seven bucks and some sweat equity, it might be a short-term solution. smile.gif

Not sure which is better but auto zone has “chrome” rattle can spray paint.
Spoke
QUOTE(RickS @ Aug 16 2018, 12:55 AM) *

Added SuperBright 1157 LEDs as brake lights and they are pretty darned bright. Only issue is a faint glow of one of my idiot lights due to lack of resistance. Have a couple of resistors but am hesitant to hack into the wiring loom.

What idiot light are you referring to? I'd hesitate on adding a ballast resistor unless absolutely necessary.

The only application I've seen on vintage Porsches where a ballast resistor is needed is the 911 '69-'89 with cruise control. When brake lights are changed to LEDs, the CC may fail to engage. The CC ECU monitors the brake light by dumping about 7-10ma into the brake lights. When the brake lights are LEDs, the LEDs may glow lightly and the CC will not engage. Adding a ballast resistor with a total of 6 ohm was the only way to satisfy the cruise control ECU.
Mblizzard
QUOTE(malcolm2 @ Aug 16 2018, 05:42 PM) *

QUOTE(Mblizzard @ Aug 16 2018, 01:52 PM) *

If they turn BLUE don’t go to NC. blink.gif

You are a funny guy! I actually still have that Warning and have been meaning to have it framed!
bandjoey
Step 1. $10 HF Dremel tool with needle size grinder tip. Clean all grounds in and out.
Step 2. Mask and chrome paint from Autozone for plastic.
Step 3. Super bright LED red bulbs. Add their crimp on resister for turn signals
(White for backup lights naturally)
Optional. 24” stick on red Led strip and pigtail into brake light wire. Drill a center hole in the trim. Add a rubber grommet and dab of silicon glue. And thread inside the chrome strip. ( these are 5 years old and still work great).

Save your money later and gat Spokes lights.

This doubled my light visability at night.
campbellcj
Another "ditto" post but FWIW I put LED bulbs in my 911R Hella lamps, and they made a big difference. If I were to drive the car on the street significantly, I would really think about a 3rd brake light.
7TPorsh
Actually referring to this reflector. LED behind here double the light in your line of site.
Click to view attachment
bandjoey
QUOTE(7TPorsh @ Aug 18 2018, 06:24 PM) *

Actually referring to this reflector. LED behind here double the light in your line of site.
Click to view attachment

How little things get overlooked. LEDs on tail and stop. Adding one in the reflector box does give more visibility. I think the 3rd light up high is the best thing you can do.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(bandjoey @ Aug 18 2018, 07:13 PM) *

Click to view attachment

How little things get overlooked. LEDs on tail and stop. Adding one in the reflector box does give more visibility. I think the 3rd light up high is the best thing you can do.

It is also illegal. US DOT requirements mandate a rear reflector on all cars. If you convert that to a tail light, it will no longer be a reflector. Now if you have the big Porsche reflector between the lights, then you would be legal.

Don't give a cop a reason to pull you over just because you look like you were going to speed.
7TPorsh
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Aug 19 2018, 06:41 AM) *

QUOTE(bandjoey @ Aug 18 2018, 07:13 PM) *

Click to view attachment

It is also illegal. US DOT requirements mandate a rear reflector on all cars. If you convert that to a tail light, it will no longer be a reflector. Now if you have the big Porsche reflector between the lights, then you would be legal.

Don't give a cop a reason to pull you over just because you look like you were going to speed.

J didn't remove the reflector. It's translucent thin plastic and the light shines through at night. Lights up and reflects.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.