Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My '72 needs a temp sensor
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jandro62
I've got my hands on a single wire vdo temp sensor. From what I've read in other posts, it screws into the taco plate, and I'm going to need some gaskets. If my motor didn't come from the factory with a temp sensor, do I need to figure out a way to drill and tap this thing into the taco plate, or is there a good source for 73+ taco plates?

Thanks,
Alex
SirAndy
QUOTE (jandro62 @ Jun 14 2005, 03:02 PM)
or is there a good source for 73+ taco plates?

that reminds me ...

whatever happened to the billet taco plate project?
confused24.gif Andy
Mueller
I'm having some programming issues with my CNC mill headbang.gif
Mueller
user posted image
markb
purty... wub.gif
hmeeder
Here's a Taco Plate listed on eBay; Tidyboy is selling it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...AMESE%3AIT&rd=1
Joe Bob
The VDub guys use a sensor that sticks in the oil dipstick hole.....pretty ez install.
lapuwali
There's another one that replaces the drain plug.
Joe Bob
James....does that one work like the head temp sensor/thermocouple?
Mueller
QUOTE ("*" @ Jun 14 2005, 05:00 PM)
The VDub guys use a sensor that sticks in the oil dipstick hole.....pretty ez install.

James....does that one work like the head temp sensor/thermocouple?

both terrible ideas*..

*I gotta say that so I increase my chances of selling my billet parts when I get around to making them, hahahaha
lapuwali
It works just like the oil temp sender. It's a thermistor, varying resistance with temp. I have one on my Type 3, as it doesn't have a taco plate. As far as I know, other than the threads on the plug and the length, it's no different that the 914 sensor.

The 914 CHT is also a thermistor, just a higher temp range. The Westach/VDO aftermarket CHT ring-around-the-spark-plug senders are thermocouples, which generate a very weak voltage based on temp.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.