Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fuel Filter - which one?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
auto_cran
Previous owner relocated the fuel pump and filter to the front. Looks like a nice, clean job. I recently had some drive-ability issues and since the time I've owned the car (a few years now) I've never replaced the filter, so figure I'd start there and change it out - simple enough (so I thought).

Old filter was a very small plastic in-line filter which accommodated the different hose sizes.

Bought a NAPA Gold/Wix 3274 (square/box type), installed it, checked for leaks - all good, no problem. Figured I was all done, I went to reinstall the access panel to discover I can't get it back on without the new filter touching the steering rack, which I don't want it to do. There doesn't seem to be much room in there. This is probably why the PO used the small one he had.

I went to a few auto parts stores to find one that matched the one the PO had - and found one - except the flow (indicated by arrows) was in the opposite direction, so that was a no go.

For those of you that relocated the fuel pump to the front - what filter are you using?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Chris
cary
Is the cover on the steering shaft?
ClayPerrine
I put a small WIX filter for a carbureted Ford in front of the pump. It is threaded on one end, and the other is the same size as the big line on the tank. I attach the threaded end to the metal fitting that hooks to the suction side of the pump. So the inlet of the pump/fuel filter combo is 3.8 and the pressure side is 5/16.

I also put a Nissan fuel injection filter in the engine compartment to protect the injectors.
Chip
My filter and fuel pump have been moved to the front as well. I don't have any access panel at all. It was tucked up nicely, but exposed to the debris of the road. Can you shoot a pic of what the access panel looks like?
auto_cran
QUOTE(Chip @ Aug 12 2018, 10:50 PM) *

My filter and fuel pump have been moved to the front as well. I don't have any access panel at all. It was tucked up nicely, but exposed to the debris of the road. Can you shoot a pic of what the access panel looks like?

Chip - sure when I get back out there I'll get a pic or two. Probably this weekend.

Not sure about the steering shaft cover - but the filter is touching the steering rack boot - which can't be a good thing..

I'll try to get some pics up.

Thanks all.

Chris
Dion
I had my pump moved to the front of my ‘73. It was
clamped onto the crossbar of steering rack. Near the bellows
there
Was no movement there. However I believe the ‘74/75,76 cars had a
panel door in the lower front driver side of the bulkhead,front of tank.
Here’s a pic pulled off the net. The panel folded down and the pump was bolted to the door I believe.
Others can verify.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
we are using the round Mahle filter for fuel pump relocations, works perfectly, is a factory substitute for the original square one

QUOTE(auto_cran @ Aug 12 2018, 04:27 PM) *

Previous owner relocated the fuel pump and filter to the front. Looks like a nice, clean job. I recently had some drive-ability issues and since the time I've owned the car (a few years now) I've never replaced the filter, so figure I'd start there and change it out - simple enough (so I thought).

Old filter was a very small plastic in-line filter which accommodated the different hose sizes.

Bought a NAPA Gold/Wix 3274 (square/box type), installed it, checked for leaks - all good, no problem. Figured I was all done, I went to reinstall the access panel to discover I can't get it back on without the new filter touching the steering rack, which I don't want it to do. There doesn't seem to be much room in there. This is probably why the PO used the small one he had.

I went to a few auto parts stores to find one that matched the one the PO had - and found one - except the flow (indicated by arrows) was in the opposite direction, so that was a no go.

For those of you that relocated the fuel pump to the front - what filter are you using?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Chris

JFJ914
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Aug 14 2018, 11:09 AM) *

we are using the round Mahle filter for fuel pump relocations, works perfectly, is a factory substitute for the original square one

Mahle part number please

auto_cran
Thanks Dr! Just ordered a couple.

John - I just searched AutomobileAtlanta for Mahle - and it came up.

I'll post pics of the panel soon.

Chris
auto_cran
On my '74, the fuel pump and filter are mounted behind this panel.

Note - these photos are not of my car. Photos courtesy of rothaus.

IPB Image

Here is the panel mounted on the car (before the panel was restored)
IPB Image

rothaus
QUOTE(Dion @ Aug 14 2018, 10:52 AM) *

I had my pump moved to the front of my ‘73. It was
clamped onto the crossbar of steering rack. Near the bellows
there
Was no movement there. However I believe the ‘74/75,76 cars had a
panel door in the lower front driver side of the bulkhead,front of tank.
Here’s a pic pulled off the net. The panel folded down and the pump was bolted to the door I believe.
Others can verify.

This is the location of the fuel pump on my 914 2.0

IPB Image

I also replaced the fuel ump with a new one which had the filter included. Pelican part # is PEL-CB3193

IPB Image

Cheers
Engelbert
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.