Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 2 quick questions
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
lotus_65
(bought it w/weber 40's on a 1.8)

i just noticed my vacuum advance isn't hooked up. i don't know if it came loose and disappeared or the po didn't have it hooked up. shouldn't it be operational?

also, my manual doesn't tell me where the temp sensor is (missing pages). i don't get any reading on my guage, and kinda want to know how hot i'm running.

thanks
paul

o.k. i'm reading a similar issue already on the board about the sensor... nevermind rolleyes.gif
Mueller
are you sure it's vac. advance and not vac. retard??

the dizzy could have mechanical advance...being a 1.8, good chance

if your motor has an oil temp sending unit, it's normally on the bottom of the case, look for a wire hanging out...

is the gauge for oil temp or head temp??
lotus_65
QUOTE (Mueller @ Jun 14 2005, 06:03 PM)
are you sure it's vac. advance and not vac. retard??

the dizzy could have mechanical advance...being a 1.8, good chance

if your motor has an oil temp sending unit, it's normally on the bottom of the case, look for a wire hanging out...

is the gauge for oil temp or head temp??

i think head temp, it goes pretty high.

i saw the oil sender under the car, but no wire, just a pickup.
Mueller
if head temp, the usual place for the sending unit is under a sparkplug......it should be pretty evident if you have a ring terminal with a wire attached to it under one of the plugs...
Joe Bob
The 1.8 dizzy is a goody.

If the vacuum advance is not hooked up...no advance and the engine won't run right. Look for a port on one of the intakes. If there is no port, you will need one or dizzy that uses centrifugal advance.
lotus_65
QUOTE (Mueller @ Jun 14 2005, 06:10 PM)
if head temp, the usual place for the sending unit is under a sparkplug......it should be pretty evident if you have a ring terminal with a wire attached to it under one of the plugs...

yup. i got one of them, off the #3 plug.

sorry i don't have the car here at work tonight or else i'd see what the pickup looks like, but i'm pretty sure it's a female and the wire's only 10" long measured from the housing.

where does it mount to?
Mueller
where does it mount to?

the gauge smile.gif

lotus_65
QUOTE (Mueller @ Jun 14 2005, 06:35 PM)
where does it mount to?

the gauge smile.gif

huh.gif
... really need a smilie that goes "'Doh"

yes, that would be good, hook it to the guage. i guess i need more wire! (all 3 stooges all rolled into one here)

it's a lame excuse, but i'm a body guy, not a nuts and bolt's type~ thanks for tolerating me!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.