Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Somebody please...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Jakester
Can anyone recommend a decent auto machine shop in the pennisula/west bay/north SJ area? Not necessarily a 914 shop, just a place where I can get rotors turned that won't wobble and get bushings pressed in and out that won't get damaged from incompetence.

Sorry for the mass mail, I've just been to one too many fly-by-night auto machine shops and ended up regretting it.

TIA
Mueller
what bushings??? unsure.gif

I would think any shop that has the correct lathe for brakes should be okay to use...have you checked to ensure that you have enough material to remove??

front limit is 9.5mm
rear limit is 8.5mm (both according to Pelican)
I cannot remember if it shows the numbers on the rotor or not on the standard 914 rotor..
Jakester
QUOTE (Mueller @ Jun 14 2005, 03:05 PM)
what bushings??? unsure.gif

I would think any shop that has the correct lathe for brakes should be okay to use...have you checked to ensure that you have enough material to remove??

front limit is 9.5mm
rear limit is 8.5mm (both according to Pelican)
I cannot remember if it shows the numbers on the rotor or not on the standard 914 rotor..

I'm working on my water cooled VW before I dive into the 914. Doing control arm bushings on the front and axle beam bushings on the rears. These will be rather difficult press jobs (from what I understand) and don't want to leave it up to your standard grease monkey.

As far as the brake lathe goes - I've had to redo one too many rotors after standard grease monkeys got a hold of them - one of them a VW dealer even. I had to scream rather loud to get the service manager to redo the brakes under warranty. I don't want to go through that again.

Thanks for the info on the rotor min thickness. I will be getting to that soon. smash.gif
mihai914
I think you should consider buying new rotors, it will probably save you money in the long run. This place has great prices on Zimmerman Autohausaz Usually if rotors are warped there's not much you can do to them, the problem comes back after a while. My $0.02
914GT
I've had good experience with a local Carquest for resurfacing/grinding rotors. Should be several in the bay area. I always measure them first to ensure they are well within the min. thickness specs.

I had one place actually warp a rotor once because of a bad lathe, so I can relate to your past experience. I agree with Mihai that it would be a good idea to replace them if they warped due to heat or wear.
nebreitling
i only resurface rotors in my truck.... laugh.gif

the porsche aways gets new ones....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.