Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Gas Leak at Fuel Pump
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
smooth_eddy
I have a tiny gas leak at my fuel pump. It is located (relocate?) under my fuel tank. From the picture, where the pen is pointing is the leak. I can't tell if it is the fuel line or the pump. I thought I would start with the line first. The drip is on that little metal thingie at the tip of my pen. Unfortunately the line is too short to cut so I have to buy another one. What size is it? Also, will I empty the tank when I disconnect the fuel line? My poor driveway has seen way too much gas poured on it this past year. Eddy
mihai914
Well it should be 7mm ID. I can't tell what port it is S, D or R? The problem with fuel pump relocation IMO is that there is inevitably a missmatch at some point in the diameter of the lines, i.e. you have to adapt with a rubber hose a 7mm to 9mm OD line. If the line shown in the picture is the D one going to the 9mm OD metal line towards the rear then you will need a 8mm ID hose instead to be able to fit it correctly on both ends.

To make it clearer, all those ports on the fuel pump require 7mm ID lines, it depends though where that line goes, if it goes to the injection supply line which is 9mm, you'll have to put a bigger 8mm ID hose. If it goes goes to the Y or the fuel filter outlet then 7mm ID is fine. Remember to buy high pressure FI hose.

The leak may also come from a bad seal at that small aluminium cap that you are pointing, they can corrode or the seal can dry up, it sucks badly though in that case because I haven't seen anyreplaqcement for those and nevermind the proper crimping...

smooth_eddy
From the Haynes Manual the port is the "R". The hose is only 6" long and goes into a "T" above. I tightened the clamp some, but still leaks. I am not sure if it is the hose or that little aluminum hat that is leaking. Hard to tell. I am afraid to tear things apart because I have 3/4 tank of gas directly above. I don't want to dump my fuel tank (again) on my drive way. Got a visit from the fire dept last summer when that happened. My neighbor call me the salmon killer. As you can see from the photo it is really close to the electrical connection. I would be nice to run the tank low but I am not sure how safe that is???? Eddy
mihai914
You need the 7mm ID fuel hose and it doesn't have to be cloth covered hose, rubber is fine also as long as it is for FI.

Use some hose clamps or vise-grips to clamp the other two hoses on the T or Y fitting before you remove this one for replacement.

Also buy some real FI clamps if you have a chance.

Unless there is lots of mud in your tank you can run it pretty low, just plan on replacing the fuel filter also.
smooth_eddy
Are the 7mm hose, and FI clamps avail from my flaps?

Where is the fuel filter located?
mihai914
A good local Flaps should have it, if not 1/4 inch ID hose will do except it's going to be tighter (harder) to install.

The FF is between the gas tank and the the pump, follow the hose from the S port on the pump and it should point you to it.
smooth_eddy
The FF is between the gas tank and the the pump, follow the hose from the S port on the pump and it should point you to it.

Oh..........does that mean I have to pull the tank?
mihai914
Not if you can put a clamp on the hose from the tank to the fuel filter. A larger picture would help in seing where exactly is your filter.
smooth_eddy
A good local Flaps should have it, if not 1/4 inch ID hose will do except it's going to be tighter (harder) to install.

Not able to find 7mm locally but my flaps has 5/16" ID high pressure FI hose with the proper clamps. Is this ok?

mihai914
5/16 is 8mm, I think you could make it work, but it's kind of loose so there will be always a risk of making a mess somewhere and being stranded. There shouldn't be any fire risk since it's the return line and far away from the engine.

Try and find a local german import shop or import parts distributor and get the right thing for your safety.

5/16 vs. 7mm is close to 14% difference quite big IHMO.
smooth_eddy
Yes, the blue line has to go. I sent the same photo into Pelican to see how much a fuel pump costs if that is the problem. I got a reply back saying the pump costs $385 wacko.gif and that BLUE line is a brake line hose and it's a BBQ waiting to happen. This blue line was put in by one of Seattle's Porshce repair shops. Gee thanks guys.

I will try to find some 7mm. I already dumped a tank down my driveway last summer and never want to do that again. Eddy
smooth_eddy
I called a local VW part store and they will have some 7mm FI hose in tomorrow. But no FI clamps. So is it ok to use regular stainless hose clamps?
mihai914
Good job on the hose, smilie_pokal.gif as for the clamps, didn't your Flaps have some, size AN 13-15 should be the right one. If not, those regular clamps will work also. Why are regular clamps not preffered is because they bite in the hose as opposed to real FI clamps who just presses all around.
Dave_Darling
There's a good chance your FLAPS will have FI hose clamps--I know the Pep Boyzzz around the corner from my old place did. You can tell that they're FI clamps because the round clamp part has two flats sticking directly out, and the screw goes through both of those flats. Plus the edges are rolled so they can't cut into the hose.

The 9mm->7mm->9mm adaptor-ing can be done several different ways. First, there is a fuel filter with a 9mm inlet and a 7mm outlet. I don't remember which years of 914 used them, but they are out there. (Note that you can't run this backwards, so it only works when adapting downward.)

Second, there is a special piece of fuel hose that is ~7mm ID on the one end and ~9mm ID on the other. It was $20 last I checked, about ten years ago, so it's probably more like $40-60 now.

Third, you can make up adaptors using brass plumbing fixtures from your local hardware store. Just make checking the adaptors part of your normal maintenance routine.

There may be other ways to do it, too...

--DD
smooth_eddy
I suppose I could keep calling for the FI hose clamps. They are not avail from my local VW store. As far as adapting goes, well I don't need to. The blue hose goes to a "T" just 6" above. I think I will go buy a large flat tub and get a golf Tee just in case. That way I don't have to deal with the toxic clean up. Eddy
smooth_eddy
just found the FI clamps from my FLAPS
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.