Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Any clues as to engine size?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Tdskip
Hi guys-hope everybody's having a good day. I was fortunate off to get a ton of help from Forest and Keith today getting the "turbo" clutch issue sorted out. I can't say enough about how helpful they were and gracious with their time.

One of the things that I suspected, but it appears we now have proof of, is that this engine was built up from the original 2.0 GC case spec.

Can anyone identify these heads or help make a guess as to displaceme
mepstein
Guess displacement with a picture!
Tdskip
QUOTE(mepstein @ Aug 15 2018, 06:08 PM) *

Yep - that gives you some evidence of how high of esteem I hold all of your knowledge.

Actually, while that is true, the idea is that someone may have built a 2 L motor with similar heads and jugs and would be able to recognize the set up .

I hope you're having a good week!
jcd914
You can't tell engine displacement from pictures of the heads.
If you had the right pictures someone could ID the heads but that doesn't really tell you much.

Anyone could use any heads (1.7, 1.8 or 2.0) to build any size engine.

For 914 heads, 1.7 & 1.8 heads have 4 intake studs and 2.0 heads have 3 intake studs.
On 1.7 & 1.8 heads the spark plug holes are angled up more than 2.0 heads.
Those are the prominent visual differences between the heads.

Pistons and crank are what change the displacement and you can't see them with the engine assembled.

If you have a GC case and 3 stud heads you probably have a 2.0 engine at least.

It is common to put bigger pistons and cylinders on as part of a rebuild, so who knows what is under the cylinder head.

Jim
Tdskip
QUOTE(jcd914 @ Aug 15 2018, 06:39 PM) *

You can't tell engine displacement from pictures of the heads.
If you had the right pictures someone could ID the heads but that doesn't really tell you much.

Anyone could use any heads (1.7, 1.8 or 2.0) to build any size engine.

For 914 heads, 1.7 & 1.8 heads have 4 intake studs and 2.0 heads have 3 intake studs.
On 1.7 & 1.8 heads the spark plug holes are angled up more than 2.0 heads.
Those are the prominent visual differences between the heads.

Pistons and crank are what change the displacement and you can't see them with the engine assembled.

If you have a GC case and 3 stud heads you probably have a 2.0 engine at least.

It is common to put bigger pistons and cylinders on as part of a rebuild, so who knows what is under the cylinder head.

Jim

And thanks Jim-was hoping that maybe there was something distinctive about the size of the fins and material etc. that would jump out.

Appreciate the response
mepstein
QUOTE(Tdskip @ Aug 15 2018, 07:23 PM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Aug 15 2018, 06:08 PM) *

Yep - that gives you some evidence of how high of esteem I hold all of your knowledge.

Actually, while that is true, the idea is that someone may have built a 2 L motor with similar heads and jugs and would be able to recognize the set up .

I hope you're having a good week!

heads are only part of the equation. It's hard to know the cylinder size and impossible to know the crank from a pic.

Is this the turbo engine?
Spoke
I've heard you can measure the stroke with a chopstick in the spark plug hole.
Larmo63
Let's ask Carnac............

Click to view attachment
forrestkhaag
As you and everyone else can read into this thread is that your question, while well intended and well focused on available investigations today, cannot define what you have in detail.

Having been under there for a few hours today, I would say (as your pictures indicate) that you have a very substantial 4 - built on a 2.0 case - and it doesn't leak at the case, cylinders, or heads or even pesky valve covers. PR tubes are another thing but an easy fix. So all is good for now and it is a safe bet it will serve you for a few thousand miles.

But. Is it safe?..........

On your current track, you have ample time to sort out what the engine is. You have a nice backup 4 - 2.0 and working tranny to match / if things go North and crap-out. (I'm from the South)

What you know it is,... is.... (the meaning of is is?,.) is you have a strong well built 4 above 2.0 based on the performance you report on first drives / and you have a 912 and another 914-4 so lets just keep on the track of getting the clutch repaired/replaced and get it on the road for a few thousand miles. I think it is safe.... Yes. Its safe.

Then we can dabble in what is is ..........

beerchug.gif see you at 10 under the lift.a
Rand
QUOTE(Spoke @ Aug 15 2018, 04:16 PM) *

lol-2.gif biggrin.gif av-943.gif

Oh man, only the OGs will appreciate that fully.
forrestkhaag
If OGeez are Old Jesus freaks, Yes. Thou Shall appreciat thou elders...... Unlike Larmo.
Tdskip
QUOTE(forrestkhaag @ Aug 15 2018, 07:38 PM) *

As you and everyone else can read into this thread is that your question, while well intended and well focused on available investigations today, cannot define what you have in detail.

Having been under there for a few hours today, I would say (as your pictures indicate) that you have a very substantial 4 - built on a 2.0 case - and it doesn't leak at the case, cylinders, or heads or even pesky valve covers. PR tubes are another thing but an easy fix. So all is good for now and it is a safe bet it will serve you for a few thousand miles.

But. Is it safe?..........

On your current track, you have ample time to sort out what the engine is. You have a nice backup 4 - 2.0 and working tranny to match / if things go North and crap-out. (I'm from the South)

What you know it is,... is.... (the meaning of is is?,.) is you have a strong well built 4 above 2.0 based on the performance you report on first drives / and you have a 912 and another 914-4 so lets just keep on the track of getting the clutch repaired/replaced and get it on the road for a few thousand miles. I think it is safe.... Yes. Its safe.

Then we can dabble in what is is ..........

beerchug.gif see you at 10 under the lift.a

Thanks!
Cracker
Going out on a limb here but I suppose it is no less than 1.7 and no more than 2.4... beerchug.gif biggrin.gif

Cracker
Tdskip
QUOTE(Cracker @ Aug 16 2018, 08:31 AM) *

Going out on a limb here but I suppose it is no less than 1.7 and no more than 2.4... beerchug.gif biggrin.gif

Cracker

Nailed it!
ValcoOscar
Tom-

From all the replies it appears you have a solid nice engine that surprisingly doesn't leak.
Enjoy it as is IMHO piratenanner.gif

See ya soon,

Oscar
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(Spoke @ Aug 15 2018, 08:16 PM) *

Nah, the angle is wrong. That was finding TDC.

And bendy straws work better and don't break off in the bore. bootyshake.gif

Zach
bretth
Interesting looking cylinders, definitely not cast iron.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(Spoke @ Aug 15 2018, 07:16 PM) *

<twilight zone music plays>

I was just thinking about that last night!!! av-943.gif lol-2.gif laugh.gif
Mueller
Put cylinder 1 at BDC, fill with liquid, measure how much you are putting in minus the combustion chamber volume. (approx 56cc I think?)

smile.gif

Dave_Darling
The cylinders don't look like cast iron. Chances are they aren't a stock diameter, in that case. Likely between 96mm and 105mm. (Note that each statement in that chain is more and more speculative.)

"Button it up and drive it" sounds like the best advice. smile.gif

--DD
Mark Henry
QUOTE(bretth @ Aug 16 2018, 12:39 PM) *

Interesting looking cylinders, definitely not cast iron.

Those are aircraft cylinders, likely modified Lycoming or Continental.

Even the head casting looks odd, take the tins off and lets see.....
brant
There is a test that is used by race organizations to "pump" a motor and discern displacement.

I believe it takes some equipment
I don't know how, nor whom can do it

but google it...
there is a test
you can likely pay a race shop to test it for you and give you some accurate informed guess....

leak down can throw the test results off, so run a leak down test first and then have the motor pumped.

brant

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.