Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: euro lamp conversion parts
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rgalla9146
is there someone here who sells parts or instructions to convert front park / directionals to euro configuration ?
mepstein
I have one of the kits that camp914 sells. $15 shipped.
Martin Baker
Possibly mine?

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=210720&hl=
porschetub
QUOTE(mepstein @ Aug 17 2018, 03:05 PM) *

I have one of the kits that camp914 sells. $15 shipped.

Those kits are rubbish sorry Mark but tried to fit them ,truly not up there ,seller called Martin Baker supplied mine really good quality.
Click to view attachment
Very much like the originals and well made ,worth the extra
$$ IMO .
Up to the OP of course.
Martin got me before I pissed around with my reply lol-2.gif lol-2.gif .
Martin Baker
THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!! I am glad you are satisfied with what I made for you! I am sorry they are pricey, but allot of work goes into them, and no one likes to work for free. I use them to support my 914 problem...I just bought approx. 20 pairs of housings from a friend.

MB
mb911
Martin didn't realize you did this.. I will need some in the near future..
DRPHIL914
I would like one of these kits ASAP! PM me with payment details
76-914
Slits posted a "DIY How To" a couple years back.They weren't as snazzy as Martin's but if your a DIY'r you might like it. beerchug.gif
Larmo63
I sourced a set of real Euro ones here.

Click to view attachment
Martin Baker
QUOTE(76-914 @ Aug 17 2018, 06:50 AM) *

Slits posted a "DIY How To" a couple years back.They weren't as snazzy as Martin's but if your a DIY'r you might like it. beerchug.gif

I did that as well...in the link I posted above.

Hey Larmo! Nice. I stopped looking for them when they shot through the roof in value...plus mine have passed TUV Inspections, since I have shipped these all over the planet, including Germany, so I know they are equal.
Martin Baker
QUOTE(mb911 @ Aug 17 2018, 04:47 AM) *

Martin didn't realize you did this.. I will need some in the near future..

I AM sure we can work something out! Between these and other junk I dabel in!

MB
dr914@autoatlanta.com
we have the original steel German kits in stock if anyone needs one immediately 75.00
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Aug 17 2018, 02:50 PM) *

we have the original steel German kits in stock if anyone needs one immediately 75.00

I just need the conversion kit , I have the HELLA OEM Euro spec lenses so I am interested.
Phil
bbrock
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Aug 17 2018, 07:55 AM) *

I sourced a set of real Euro ones here.

Click to view attachment

I'd love to get a peek under those lenses. Never seen the guts of these other than the pic in the factory manual.
Martin Baker
http://www.pbase.com/9146gt/factory_oem_91...nsignals_fronts

Here you go!
bbrock
QUOTE(Martin Baker @ Aug 19 2018, 02:33 PM) *

Thanks! Now I'm even more impressed with your repros. beerchug.gif
Martin Baker
QUOTE(bbrock @ Aug 19 2018, 03:15 PM) *

QUOTE(Martin Baker @ Aug 19 2018, 02:33 PM) *

Thanks! Now I'm even more impressed with your repros. beerchug.gif

Thank you very much. The funny thing about it was I had never seen an actual Euro turn signal housing until much later, after I started making these. It wasn't hard to figure out what went where by looking at the inside of the US version, again Thanks!

MB

SKL1
You could also contact Spoke here and see if he still has or is still making his LED bulbs. His euro LED bulb kit works great- have them on my '73 with euro lighting. Simple plug and play...
rgalla9146
Last night I received my newly restored and modified front lamp housings
from Martin Baker.
I'm very happy, he did a great job.
This is a very reasonable service that makes Euro lenses look and work as they should.
Communication was great and the work was done quickly.
Thanks Martin
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Sep 5 2018, 10:33 AM) *

from Martin Baker.
This is a very reasonable service that makes Euro lenses look and work as they should.
Thanks Martin

I received my conversion kit, thank you Martin! now I need to hook it up and will be ready to go. - btw perfect fit thank you for sending this out so fast and for offering to do it for me, unfortunately I didn't have time to send these to you and back before next week!

Phil
Martin Baker
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Sep 5 2018, 07:33 AM) *

from Martin Baker.
Thanks Martin

First, glad you are happy with the work/turn around time, etc Honesty and timely service is what I like in a business. Getting tougher to find. Also, thanks for the feed back here. If you ever need any help with them after the install, let me know. I will make sure you stay happy with them.

MB
Martin Baker
Thanks to you as well Phil!

So for the how to install info, here is the link to the original thread, on how to DIY the refractor assembly. Just use caution removing the terminals. I use a large flat file. Also, be aware many of these housings are corroded, but you wont know it until you remove the terminal cap.The attach lugs will be just not there any more. They just crumble.

MB

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=210720&hl=
bbrock
I think repro terminal caps would be a great product for 914rubber. Even better would be if they reproduced both US and Euro versions. Looking at the images Martin linked earlier, the Euro cap just moves the running light terminal to a different hole in the cap and would allow this DIY retrofit to be done with a centered blinker contact for a proper single filament bulb.

http://www.pbase.com/9146gt/image/153668383

It's the details that count. smile.gif beerchug.gif
Larmo63
I installed bulbs in mine, but they burned out pretty quickly, and then I gave up. They've been sitting there dead, I suppose I used the wrong wattage bulb.

That's the part I don't really understand; load.

This is how mine look inside......in this photo the wire hasn't been snapped into the tabs yet.

Click to view attachment
Martin Baker
I experimented with bulbs to get an idea what to use, and I can tell you I did melt a lens! The bulb I use, the type 89.

Ba15S Base - 13.0 Volt .58 Amp 7.54 Watt G6 Single Contact Bayonet (Ba15S) Base, 6.0 MSCP C-6 Filament Design. 750 Average Rated Hours. 1.44" (36.58mm) Maximum Overall Length (M.O.L.), 0.75" (19.05mm) Maximum Outer Diameter (M.O.D.), 0.75" (19.05mm) Light Center Length (L.C.L.).

It fits the sockets that I use, and the wattage doesn't melt the lens! I believe the original bulb is less. Maybe 5 watt? Can't remember, but I do remember that the original bulb specified by manufacturer was found in many other German cars. They are much more expensive than the 89, and not as readily available. They do however fit the socket I use to make the conversion. Both of those were bad for me...if your are not melting the lens, I think the problem is not current draw/amperage on the circuit. Did the bulbs simply have a broken filament?

I will add that my housings have passed several TUV inspections, and that I am very proud of!

MB

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eD18WRduXjU
Larmo63
I'll go look at watt (see what I did there?) size bulb I used....

EDIT: the bulbs say '63 China' on them.
Martin Baker
EDIT, its a 7 volt bulb. 4 watt. This is your problem. To much current on the filament. Its basically living under double its rated voltage while operating/engine running. Its a MIRACLE they didn't blow as soon as you turned them on,,,

4watt, 7volts, G6 Bulb Type, Single Contact Bayonet (BA15s) Base, Low Voltage, 63/BP2

Here is your answer. Personally I like them a little brighter.

Trade Number R5W, 5.0 Watts Miniature Incandescent Bulb, G6, Single Contact Bayonet (BA15s)

https://www.grainger.com/product/GE-LIGHTIN...umber-R5W-2DAX3
tmc914
Someone a little while back re-posted a list with all the lamps needed and different manufacture bulbs that they knew of. I looked for it but can't seem to find it. When it turns up again it will be saved on my computer.
yellowporky
I met Martin at the air cooled swap meet in Concord ca. last week and picked up a set of his converted light buckets. He is a great guy and does very nice work.
Thanks again Martin
Chris
Larmo63
Thank you Martin for the Grainger hook up.......

I ordered two sets.

I'll report back on how they perform.
DRPHIL914
is there a superbright LED that might work for this application? give you brightness with out the current draw?
Martin Baker
QUOTE(yellowporky @ Sep 5 2018, 08:11 PM) *

I met Martin at the air cooled swap meet in Concord ca. last week and picked up a set of his converted light buckets. He is a great guy and does very nice work.
Thanks again Martin
Chris

Chris, Thanks for the kind words, and nice to meet you and your family as well! Also, thanks for the business! Hope you are happy once they are installed in car! If not let me know. I will do my best to correct any issues.

MB
Martin Baker
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Sep 5 2018, 10:48 PM) *

Thank you Martin for the Grainger hook up.......

I ordered two sets.

I'll report back on how they perform.

My pleasure, happy to help. Looking forward to here how it works out.

MB
Martin Baker
QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Sep 6 2018, 05:30 AM) *

is there a superbright LED that might work for this application? give you brightness with out the current draw?

Found this without digging...and I suppose I could install an LED type socket to make it happen.

My goal was to make a decent replica of the original, with a cheap bulb, that was readily available.

Its possible to put a SUPER bright bulb there with LED with the correct socket.

https://www.westsidewholesale.com/eiko-67le...2RoCqE4QAvD_BwE

Very low watt bulb, and very low current draw. Like its not there. No heat at all.

MOL: 1.54"
MOD: 0.73"
Volts: 12 V
Watts: 1.51 W
Lumens: 123
Average Life: 30,000 H
Bulb: G-6
Base: SC Bayonet (BA15s)
Amps: 0.102
MCSP: 7.387
Special Desc.: Off-Road / Show Car Use Only
Larmo63
I ordered and installed the bulbs from Grainger that Martin recommended. No issue at all, so far!

smilie_pokal.gif
Martin Baker
Good news!

I found out I can buy that bulb much cheaper online, less than I'm paying now for the type 89. I think I'll switch to that bulb from now on for my conversions, or at least offer a choice to the buyer. I believe this bulb is too bright and could actually mask the signal.

MB
jgullock
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Aug 17 2018, 02:50 PM) *

Yeah, I got mine the other day. Had to grind the sides for them to even begin to fit in the bucket. Had to also re-bend it so the lens didn't ride 1/2" off the seal.

PRO-TIP: If your website says "instructions included" it would be good to actually include them.
mepstein
[quote name='jgullock' date='Sep 21 2018, 12:14 PM' post='2650825']
[quote name='dr914@autoatlanta.com' post='2639745' date='Aug 17 2018, 02:50 PM']
[/quote]

Yeah, I got mine the other day. Had to grind the sides for them to even begin to fit in the bucket. Had to also re-bend it so the lens didn't ride 1/2" off the seal.

PRO-TIP: If your website says "instructions included" it would be good to actually include them. - av-943.gif

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.