Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 911 style e-brake - calling Timo
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
GregD
Eric Shea told me that Timo had completed this. I know it was on a thread in either resouces or classic, but I can't find it. Anybody have any info?

Greg DeBord
tat2dphreak
classic , man! wink.gif
736conver
If I remeber no one had an update on the cables. I too did this conversion but have yet to finish it/ wanted to get the car off the jack stands first.
Would be interested in a cable update
Jeroen
QUOTE (736conver @ Jun 15 2005, 05:17 PM)

yeah... me too
Eric_Shea
Timo's gonna be the man. His are up and running. I'll be using 911 cables and a 911 handbrake so I doubt if too many people would be stupid enough to go that route. biggrin.gif

I still have a bit of welding to do.
andys
I considered the 911 parking brake too (I have a complete '89 Carrera system), but decided against it in favor of the Wilwood mechanical spot caliper. The 911 cabling seems like a lot of headache to deal with. I'll post pic's of my setup after I get futher along.

Andy
ein 6er
what kind of p-brake setup is this. it's on the 3.2. car in the classifieds.
smrz914
what kind of p-brake setup is this. it's on the 3.2. car in the classifieds.

That looks stock.

Also...Does anyone know if the inner dimension of the 911 rotors are different depending on year? I have a pair of 911 vented rotors but don't know if they are year specific. I think it would be good to have on my v8 car. I have a wanted add in the clasified looking for parts for the upgrade.
Aaron Cox
word has it maltese falcon has some awesome spot caliper solutions out soon

AA
Eric_Shea
Does anyone know if the inner dimension of the 911 rotors are different depending on year?

Should be the same from 69 through 83
GregD
It just so happens that I work 1/2 mile from Lokar Performance Products. I have the specs for the cables, i.e. length, adjustment, ends, etc. I'm going to see if the can make the cables for me. I'm using one of their throttle cables on the 914 now...

I'll check to see on a group discount biggrin.gif

Greg
smrz914
That would be awesome. What hand brake lever and where would it mount.
Eric_Shea
I'd say if Greg can get custom cables then the best route would be the 914 handbrake/cables with 911 ends on them.
914Timo

Ok. About the cables. The problem is you need longer cables with 911 hand brake. Making new cables and pressing new endings to the cable is no problem to proper cable shop. What I find out a problem at least here, was finding new cable sleeves. Actually I didn´t find the right material for cable sleeves and I had to use two old original 914 right side long cable seeves. On the left side I just cut it so the length was right. On the right side the original 914 cable sleeve was not long enough. So, I added a piece of metal pipe between the cable sleeve and the pipe coming out from the body. See the pic.

When I had new cable sleeves, I went to local cable shop and asked them to do me new cables. I had measured the right lengths and it was no problem for the cable shop to use my own cable sleeves.

Hope this helps. More questions, just ask and I´ll try to answer.
914Timo
...and the original picture with out my drawings.

ClayPerrine
There are a lot of people here who would love to get some cables made. Maybe we could get Timo to do a group purchase for us? He could go to the cable shop that did the ones for his car, and get them to do a large run of cables. That way we get a cheaper price.

Timo, you up for that?
Gint
Lokar sounds like a much better solution than going out of the country. They certainly have the ability to do it.
ClayPerrine
Gint, You want to be the broker for the cables? We could do a group buy from the club.

Jeroen
Either way, I'm interested in a set of cables!
736conver
You can count me in for a set of cables pending price $$$$$
pete-stevers
I could use a set of cable too.... I ve been runnin with no parking brake since I put the vented rotors on. It is a big pain in the ass! mad.gif .....would like to see a complete "start to finish" on this topic with pics and parts etc.... smile.gif
steve
jim912928
me to...I'd be interested in a set.
914Timo
Timo, you up for that?

Yes, sure, but I live here in Finland. I think you have local cable shops there too who can make these.

And don´t forget, I should have 2 right side cable sleeves for one "set". Where the hell do you think I will get them here laugh.gif

Oh, maybe I should explain the last one. We have here in Finland about a dozen running 914s and about an other dozen projects. It is not at all easy to find old used 914 parts here. sad.gif

I am not sure how could I help you there. I sure would like to help, but I don´t know how. If you have time, I can measure the cables and take a lots of pics next fall when the driving season is over here. I am going to drop my engine then. I have some plans for that too.
GregD
I dropped off a 911 cable, 914 cables, the butterflies and measurements on Thursday. The "Expert" cable maker is supposed to be in first thing Monday morning. I need these quickly. I'm going to Parade on Friday, and I know that I'll get put on a hill somewhere for the concours. (No jokes about the concours... biggrin.gif ) Anyway, I'll report back when I have more info...

Greg
Jeroen
Cool! Keep us posted!
GregD
OK, I have this done! YIPEE!!!!! The Good news, I used 2 stock cables from Lokar and only had to make 1 small bracket. The Bad news, the 2 cables were $160! But, with the cost of 914/6 calipers, and allowing the use of any rear calipers you want, it's worth it. The only tricky part was finding 9.5 inches of flat space to mount the hookup. I originally wanted to replace only the 2 cable that ran to the calipers, but ended up replacing everything from the handle back. It's a nice setup and actually fairly easy to install. I don't have the part numbers in front of me, but I'll get them and post them. Here's the pics!

Greg beerchug.gif
GregD
beerchug.gif
GregD
beerchug.gif
GregD
beerchug.gif
GregD
OK, a little explanation. One cable is used to run from the handle around the back of the seat, next to the tunnel and back to the front right of the seat position. Then, it is attached to 2 cables (come as 1 kit) that each lead to a rear hub. The cable goes in from the hub and the ball of the cable is big enough that it won't come through the butterfly. The end of the sheath and the ball squeeze together to make the cable work. The cables are cut to length by the person installing them. They come with 8 foot sheath and 9 foot cable. You then just run them through the holes from the original cables and mate them with the single cable from the handle. Actually pretty easy but does take some time. I'll post the part numbers when I get a chance...

Greg
ClayPerrine
I went to the local cable manufacturer. They made these 2 cables for me for 135.00 plus tax. They used parts from boat throttle cables to get the correct ends.

ClayPerrine
Here is the end that attaches to the handle. Yes, that is a brand new OEM cable from the handle to the OEM equalizer.

ClayPerrine
Here is the end that attaches to the 911 E-Brake. Unfortunately the trailing arms are out at the powder coater, so I can't show you the installed brakes.

ClayPerrine
It doesn't actually run through the bottom of the shock....That is just to hold the cable up while the car is in the air.

The end of the cable housing presses directly against the spreaders for the 911 shoes. There is no tube like the 911 uses.

The ends closest to the handle use a screw on clevis. You have to thread the cable then install the clevis. But it doesn't require any special brackets.

I rotated the park brake backing plate downward 90 degrees so that the cable runs below the bearing.

More pictures to follow after the install of the trailing arms.

9144guy
F.Y.I we used stock 9144 rear brake calp. but put machn. a spacer so the rotors would fit between the two halfs of the rear calipers w/ orings, off of a 944 turbo vented/drilled rotors
ClayPerrine
QUOTE (9144guy @ Jul 7 2005, 09:46 PM)
F.Y.I we used stock 9144 rear brake calp. but put machn. a spacer so the rotors would fit between the two halfs of the rear calipers w/ orings, off of a 944 turbo vented/drilled rotors

That works fine for somewhat bigger front brakes. But when you get to where the fronts are locking up because the front caliper is a 4 piston 996 caliper and the rear is the stock 4 cylinder caliper, you need to change the rears.

GregD
I couldn't find a local cable maker. I looked for days. That was the reason I went with the Lokar. I have A calipers on the front, M calipers on the rear....

Greg
ClayPerrine
QUOTE (pete-stevers @ Jun 19 2005, 02:56 PM)
I could use a set of cable too.... I ve been runnin with no parking brake since I put the vented rotors on. It is a big pain in the ass! mad.gif .....would like to see a complete "start to finish" on this topic with pics and parts etc.... smile.gif
steve

I can do that. I will take pictures of mine after I get the trailing arms back from the powdercoaters. I can write a "how to" article for the club site on this.

Trailing arms are due back on the 11th. Then I can get started on the article.

ClayPerrine
QUOTE (GregD @ Jul 8 2005, 06:19 AM)
I couldn't find a local cable maker. I looked for days. That was the reason I went with the Lokar. I have A calipers on the front, M calipers on the rear....

Greg

I actually talked to the local cable maker about a bulk rate. If we wanted to order somewhere around 50 sets, they can make the cables for about 100.00 a set. But I can't front 5 grand for cables that I might not sell.

If anyone wants me to get cables made for them, I can. It will be 135.00 a set plus tax and shipping.

To get them made, I have to take the cables back off my car and take them down to the cable shop so they can copy them. So it has to wait until I get 5 or more sets ordered.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.