Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: TRAILER QUEEN? (don't think so)
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
OLAF
Hi Guys,

I just finished a 2 year restoration on a '71 with a 2 liter implant and everything came out well. The car now has less than 160 miles so I want to show it off at the Ohio Islands Put-In Bay road rally. This event is open to vintage sports cars only and NO big blocks are permitted (not that there's anything wrong with them, just to be politically correct). I'd like to trailer the car from my home near Cleveland to the Island ferry about 50 miles away. Those 2 wheel dolly trailers are available nearby, cheap and easy. Is it safe and harmless to trailer my car in neutral with only the rear wheels on the ground? Would it still roll over the odometer?

Thanks for any input.
Click to view attachment
jcd914
They are safe provided you strap it down correctly.
Check clearances around the front wheels and where the ramps on the dolly might contact under the car.
Check that the back end is not too close to the ground, or you will scrape over bumps and dips in the road.

It will add miles to the odometer since you are turning the rear wheels.

You can get a bracket to mount a tow bar and flat tow it as well.

Jim
ValcoOscar
Very nice car, congrats on your resto.

I wish you were closer. I'd lend you my P Hauler
Perfect match drunk.gif

It's available to local members here in SoCal.

Oscar

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Retroracer
On the 2-wheel dolly idea: A friend of mine bought one to transport his Westfield (Caterham / Lotus 7 type vehicle) to and from the track. He had the front wheels on the dolly, rear on the ground. On the way to Thunderhill he felt something wrong and stopped to see what was going on. Turned out that the transmission had jumped from neutral into gear - and the rear wheels were fighting the braking effect of the engine: the loser was the propshaft (which ended up on the drivers seat, punched through the transmission tunnel!) and the tail shaft of the gearbox (which was ripped out....). Not pretty.

So now - post repairs - he still uses the dolly, but puts the rear wheels on the dolly and the fronts on the ground - and straps down the steering wheel to lock the steering.

Made me think that a flat bed trailer seems like a much safer idea....?

- Tony
mepstein
Car looks great. Congrats! beerchug.gif
If you flat tow, I would find a front bra to protect the paint.
If you are really concerned about adding milage, you can unscrew the speedometer cable where it enters the trans. Zip tie it out of the way.
I've never flat towed or towed on a dolly, only an open or closed trailer.
Driving the car may be an option poke.gif biggrin.gif

Oscar, any time you want to move east....
Ferg
agree.gif If flat towing and I see your bumpers are painted, you are going to have to spend a good amount of time prepping the car to avoid rock chips. Blue painters works well. but time consuming.

If you want to tow because fear of an issue since car is not fully sorted, I get it. But if you want to flat tow to reduce the risk of chips in paint ect, I'd reconsider. Flat towing is like tailgating to an extreme, the rock hits on our front end increase dramatically

Robnxious
QUOTE(mepstein @ Aug 21 2018, 08:36 AM) *

Oscar, any time you want to move east....

Heck moving east, how do I get your trailer up to No. Cal so I can bring it back to you in Temecula when I visit family and friends down there! LOL
jcambo7
I used one to tow my 914 from Oklahoma to Washington state. Another thing to disconnect is the speedometer cable. Mine wound up and snapped. My transmission never popped into gear at all. If you’re afraid of it popping into gear you could disconnect the shift linkage at the transmission and tie the shift rod up.
VaccaRabite
The other issue with flat towing that I discovered one fine day...

If for whatever reason the alignment goes out on the towed vehicle, you are in for an exciting time until you can get it stopped. I've only had it happen once, when I rolled over a gas filler cap at a gas station. But my trip stopped there until I could get a dolly to put the car on, and I'm really glad it did not happen at speed.

Zach
Mikey914
I flat tow all the time. Leave the bar on with my LE air dam. If I go any distance I have actually used 2' stretch warp from Home depot. The only thing is the area you protect will be cleaner than the rest of the car. We are doing another run of the flat tow bars in the next week, so I could do a GB to save you some money.
Reg $125

https://shop.914rubber.com/searchquick-subm...sc?keywords=tow

but $99 for the GB

We are also testing a new mount that will allow you to use a universal tow bar like the ones you get at Harbor freight. It will save you money on other side of bar.
johnhora
Paul..

You can flat tow, two wheel dolly tow a 914 without any problems.
I've done many times in past years when I didn't have a trailer.
The key to a successful tow is plain common sense and safety.
Don't crazy with your tow speed and have some auxiliary rear tail lights on the car.
And ALWAYS park so you can pull out straight ahead.... biggrin.gif
Good luck and have fun at what looks like a great event.
Why don't you drive it to the event?

aggiezig
There's no reason you couldn't use a tow dolly, they are safe enough and should be fine. Flat tow should also be okay. However, if I just finished resto on my car I'd spend the few extra $ and get an auto-hauler (drive-on type) trailer. Uhaul has these as do many other rental places. Usually only about $20 more per day. The hauler gets the car up and off the road.

Also, re: odometer - just disconnect the speedo cable from the trans if you're worried about racking up miles
Mike Bellis
I flat tow without a dolly with the car in neutral. Made a round trip from SF to Medford, 10 hours each way without an issue.
r_towle
50 miles?
Drive it!
OLAF
Thank you all for your comments. You re all correct, driving the car to the Put in Bay ferry would be most fun.... I'll work to sort out the car, grow a pair, and drive it to the event. See ya.OLAF. (Paul)
Jerry
Flat towed 2 times from HOUSTON, Texas to California with no problems. Sometimes forgot it was even back there
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.