Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: a/c help in the DFW area?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jr91472
Any of you N. Tex guys know where my friend can buy a can of freon? I really know nothing about this stuff, other than he needs the type that you can't buy anymore (some new environmental standards or something). confused24.gif

He is a capable mechanic and can "charge" the system himself, but would pay someone to do it he had to. smash.gif

thx pray.gif

mihai914
This is a very good forum for auto a/c stuff.

From what I remember a year ago, in order to buy Freon (r-12) you needed to have a EPA license or something similar.

Your friend has two options, either fill it up with r-12 or convert it to less efficient (for the 944) Suva or r-134a.

Whatever he does he should not put in some blend crap like Hotshot, Duracool or any other mix of stuff.

I strongly suggest that he goes to a good a/c shop to have the remaining r-12 recouped for reuse, have the system cheched for leaks, maybe add some lubricant and refill with r-12.

Edit: Oh yes, no stop leak either!
jr91472
thanks, gave him the link.....anyone else want to chime in? icon_bump.gif
spare time toys
There is a guy at work who does auto a/c on the side. He is reasonable. Because of shift days off I will not see him intill Monday but Ill check with him and get a number.
dilde
R-12 is still legal to use, just not legal to buy. The guy who does mine still has gallons of the stuff.

The previous post is correct. Anything but R-12 will RUIN the system, for sure.

Also, consider replacing hoses at some time. The original hoses are very porous. I think the new stuff is called barrier hose, or something like that.

jr91472
QUOTE (spare time toys @ Jun 16 2005, 05:22 AM)
There is a guy at work who does auto a/c on the side. He is reasonable. Because of shift days off I will not see him intill Monday but Ill check with him and get a number.

thanks Lar....let me know smilie_pokal.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.