Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Gas tank rehab ?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dgraves
It seems I've seen a link or "how to" rehab the inside of a gas tank. If that sounds familiar, I'd really appreciate the instructions.

Thank you,
Dan
VaccaRabite
Buy the epoxy kit.

Pull tank. Remove all the hardware.
Tape off openings.
Pour acetone in the tank and put in a couple hand fulls of drywall screws.
Dance. Shake. Roll. Move it all around for an hour or so.
Dump out all the sludge and screws. Rinse with fresh acetone.
Let it dry completely.

Re-seal all the openings. Cover any pin holes with tape.
Mix the kit following the instructions TO THE LETTER.
Pour it in. Turn the tank all around again for as long as you can.
Dump out extra.
Let dry.

FIN
dgraves
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Aug 21 2018, 09:35 PM) *

Buy the epoxy kit.

Pull tank. Remove all the hardware.
Tape off openings.
Pour acetone in the tank and put in a couple hand fulls of drywall screws.
Dance. Shake. Roll. Move it all around for an hour or so.
Dump out all the sludge and screws. Rinse with fresh acetone.
Let it dry completely.

Re-seal all the openings. Cover any pin holes with tape.
Mix the kit following the instructions TO THE LETTER.
Pour it in. Turn the tank all around again for as long as you can.
Dump out extra.
Let dry.

FIN

Thank you very much. Where can I get the "epoxy kit" mentioned above?
ConeDodger
POR15 gas tank kit. 3? Step?
VaccaRabite
I used the Caswell kit on my tank a few months ago and it went very smooth.

Por15 and Creem also make kits. I've been told that Caswell is the best. BUT!

NO MATTER WHAT KIT, FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS TO THE LETTER!!! When these kits fail, its almost always the error of the installer not following the directions in either cleaning, drying, mixing the epoxy, or giving it enough cure time before putting gas back in the tank.

Zach
Optimusglen
Where does one dump a tank full of acetone filled with sludge that it's cleaned off?

I had started to go down the DIY route but was never able to get a good answer on how to dispose of the tank cleaner. I ended up taking my tank to a shop that did the whole thing, with a lifetime warranty, for around $200.
914Sixer
New tanks are now available from Automobile Atlanta $295.00 plus shipping. On Ebay right now.
mepstein
Or you can buy a used one from rich at hph for $500 + 80 ship blink.gif
dr914@autoatlanta.com
we have new ones now, perfect duplicate, 300 bucks!!!
injunmort
I would not use sealer on the tank. it will eventually fail causing problems. you can take all the fittings off and have it boiled out at a radiator shop. you can get 10 gallons of vinegar and add water and let it sit for a couple of days. or just get a new one for $300.00. imho.
Steve
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Aug 23 2018, 06:22 AM) *

I do not see these on your web site. Are these early or late tanks?
PanelBilly
Too bad you’re so far away. I have a brand new Por kit that I don’t need. I also bought plugs from the hardware store to seal it up.
mepstein
QUOTE(Steve @ Aug 26 2018, 09:25 PM) *

They are missing the brackets.
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(Optimusglen @ Aug 22 2018, 11:59 AM) *

Where does one dump a tank full of acetone filled with sludge that it's cleaned off?

I had started to go down the DIY route but was never able to get a good answer on how to dispose of the tank cleaner. I ended up taking my tank to a shop that did the whole thing, with a lifetime warranty, for around $200.

Dump it in a bucket. After a few hours the acetone will evaporate and you can throw the dry sluge in the trash.
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Aug 26 2018, 10:21 PM) *

QUOTE(Optimusglen @ Aug 22 2018, 11:59 AM) *

Dump it in a bucket. After a few hours the acetone will evaporate and you can throw the dry sluge in the trash.

If its hot out, not even an hour.
Acetone evaporates really fast.

Its also very flammable. No smoking around it.

Zach
bmtrnavsky
My tank was not too bad so take this for what it is worth, but I filled a BIG pot up with about 4 gallons of water boiled it hard then dumped in about a cup of Cascade dishwasher soap (this stuff is pretty caustic I use it to clean Model A radiators) and slosh it around with a handful of nuts and bolts, rinse it really well and allow to dry. Mine had no holes in it, just a lot of fuel varnish and sediment. Cleaned it right out. Then I scrubbed the outside and repainted it satin black while it was out.
mepstein
I have excellent results with Apple cider vinegar in a couple 914 tanks and motorcycle tanks. Does the job. Cleans down to bare metal and unlike a lot of other high strength chemicals, won’t hurt you if you accidentally splash it in your eyes, won’t kill your dog if he drinks it or burn your kids hands if they touch it, you can dump it in the leaf pile out back and the smell doesn’t even piss off my wife. After the tank is clean, rinse out with water and baking soda then splash some marvel mystery oil around the sides. It will look like new inside.
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(mepstein @ Aug 26 2018, 09:42 PM) *

George can verify this but i believe they do have the brackets, or at least the bracket on the top that the overflow tank attaches to.
mepstein
QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Aug 27 2018, 03:36 PM) *

George can verify this but i believe they do have the brackets, or at least the bracket on the top that the overflow tank attaches to.

I believe they are missing the brackets for the expansion tank and charcoal canister but its hard to tell from the pic. There is no bracket for the overflow piece, it uses 6 or 8 bolts around the rim of the opening. Dansk has had some issues with fit. Some is ok, some is terrible. We buy a couple thousand worth of sheetmetal every few weeks and much of it has to be reworked to fit. Not just a little but often cut, weld, add metal, reshape, ect.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
they all have the one bracket yes, would fit the 74.5-76 best, but for the sorry state of 914 gas tanks these days and how expensive it is to clean and powder paint, I would use one of these retros any day

QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Aug 27 2018, 12:36 PM) *

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.