Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Photo op suggestions for cross country road trip
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Matty900
As many of you know I like taking pictures of 914's. I will add some of them to this thread. I am getting ready to make a very long cross-country trip so I can attend Red Rocks in Colorado and Okteenerfest in Georgia. I am looking for some scenic locations to take car pictures and would love meeting with others along the way. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Matty900
Red rocks 2016
Matty900
Rt 66 2018
Matty900
Luftgekühlt 5
Matty900
Utah 2016
ConeDodger
PMB isn’t scenic I suppose but you should drop in for a visit.

Leavenworth in KS. It’s sort of scenic but it’s also a more than century old Federal prison.
bbrock
Some ideas for the lesser known or appreciated parts of the trip.

Along the I-70 route, the Flint Hills of KS between Junction City and Topeka are quite scenic tallgrass prairie and you will be traveling at one of the best times when the grasses have turned rusty red. There is a scenic overlook of Konza Prairie just a few miles south of I-70 on Hwy 177 toward Manhattan that, IIRC provides a place to park with nice tallgrass prairie in the background, but there are also opportunities off other exits of I-70. If you have extra time to burn, dropping south at Junction City to follow Hwy 4 to Topeka takes you into even better scenery and photo ops of old limestone houses. Also, lots of nice limestone houses that were officer's quarters at the historic part of Ft. Riley near Junction City, including the house George Custer lived in. There will likely be some corn harvesting going on in the endless ag fields if you like the classic Agriculture photo ops. +1 on Ft. Leavenworth. It also has probably the best mature cottonwood and elm deciduous forest left in the state.

On the I-80 option, Scott's Bluff and Chimney Rock in NE have opportunities for photographs with iconic landmarks. The Loess Hills along the Missouri River between NE and IA are scenic too.

Of course, the less traveled 2-lanes offer the greatest surprises if you aren't in a rush.

Enjoy the trip!
DRPHIL914
Ozarks in Missouri , ditto on the river valley roads in NE, along the mississipi when you cross there too, at the Arch,
mgp4591
As your coming south from Boise, take a minute and stop by Twin Falls and see if you can get a shot of the canyon just before town from the freeway. It's pretty impressive on its own but with a car in the foreground it'd look pretty sweet.
stevend914
QUOTE(Matty900 @ Aug 21 2018, 10:56 PM) *

As many of you know I like taking pictures of 914's. I will add some of them to this thread. I am getting ready to make a very long cross-country trip so I can attend Red Rocks in Colorado and Okteenerfest in Georgia. I am looking for some scenic locations to take car pictures and would love meeting with others along the way. Does anyone have any suggestions?

The old court house with gateway arch in background.
bbrock
QUOTE(mgp4591 @ Aug 22 2018, 05:36 PM) *

As your coming south from Boise, take a minute and stop by Twin Falls and see if you can get a shot of the canyon just before town from the freeway. It's pretty impressive on its own but with a car in the foreground it'd look pretty sweet.

agree.gif
Matty900
Thanks guys,
I am going to try and go to AAA and get a trip tik put together and add as many suggestions to it that I can. Then take what comes depending on time. Light weather ect..
I appreciate your feedback.
raynekat
Those are great pics.

Love when you dial the background into black & white leaving the cars in the foreground in blazing color.
Very cool.
Is that some trick you can do in Photoshop or something???
Valy
A 914 surrounded by bisons in Yellowstone is pretty nice.
Extra points if you get the steamboat blow in the background too.
Matty900
QUOTE(raynekat @ Aug 22 2018, 09:38 PM) *

Those are great pics.

Love when you dial the background into black & white leaving the cars in the foreground in blazing color.
Very cool.
Is that some trick you can do in Photoshop or something???

I use several post editors. Photoshop is one of them. I post the 914 shots on Instagram under 914rubber and other images under MattWhitesell
Glad you enjoy them. We will get some together when your car is ready beerchug.gif
PanelBilly
Get one of the bugs on your bumper. Make a design with tape and then remove it leaving the bug splatter outline
Matty900
QUOTE(PanelBilly @ Aug 23 2018, 07:46 AM) *

Get one of the bugs on your bumper. Make a design with tape and then remove it leaving the bug splatter outline

barf.gif lol-2.gif Maybe I will do a negative P O R S C H E across the chrome on my bumper
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.