Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: what year is this body?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dr914@autoatlanta.com
http://www.patrickmotorsports.com/project/...0l-901/#image_1
db9146
I know it says "original 914-6" but one later year item I noticed (could have been mod'ed) are the retractable seat belt mounting points visible from the engine compartment photos. Did retractable belts start in '72 or '73?

I don't know the front sheet metal behind the bumper well enough to recognize any subtleties there.
914Sixer
Going to say 1972. It has unique indentations on front cross piece.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Aug 23 2018, 07:38 AM) *

excellent observation, yes it is a early 1972 body made between 8/71 and 12/71. (notice the jack storage brackets are not in the front of the trunk but rather the left rear that distinguishes it as an early 72
seatbelt pods, yes, side vent holes in the dash, front panel,

So wonder if this is a body switch due to heavy rusting or something like that
altitude411
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Aug 23 2018, 09:08 AM) *

excellent observation, yes it is a early 1972 body made between 8/71 and 12/71. (notice the jack storage brackets are not in the front of the trunk but rather the left rear that distinguishes it as an early 72

Ok, I'd like to know what unique indentations you speak of 914Sixer on the front cross piece? i was under the impression that all early cars had the same cross panel?

'70-'72 as seen here http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...198600&st=0

Also, George, you say jack storage brackets are not in the front but in the left rear that distinguishes it as an early '72. This is new to me... are you saying early cars had the jack mount in the left rear and then the location switched after '72 to the front of the rear trunk? like between the targa latch cups? How are you estimating the manufacturing date to with-in a 4 month time slot?

Thank you both for clarifying... I am just trying to learn from those in the know. I appreciate your time/teachings.
peteyd
George

Please elaborate on the 72 MY difference. The cross panel in front of the gas tank?

Pete
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(peteyd @ Aug 23 2018, 09:03 AM) *

George

Please elaborate on the 72 MY difference. The cross panel in front of the gas tank?

Pete

The panel in front of the gas tank was the same for the 70-74 models, and in 75 76 changed by adding the door for the fuel pump.

The front panels were the same 70-72 then 73 -74 and finally 75-76

72 was the unique year because the body the jack storage bracket was relocated to the front of the rear trunk in jan of 72.

73 74 bodies had a different location where the main harness entered the front trunk but the rest of the shell was the same for the two years.

75 76 bodies were identical, and 70 71 four cylinder shells were identical

six shells were identical for 71 71 (and the 72 916 models) but 72 914-6 shells were identical to the 72 four cylinder except for the welded engine mount and oil line hook, and lack of four cylinder engine mounting pods
dr914@autoatlanta.com
Thank you for the question, just posted about the body differences, the 70-72 had identical front panels

The early 72 models had the jack storage support in the left rear trunk like the 70-71 models until 12/71 production, and then in jan 72 changed to the front like the 73-76 models. All 72 models had the seat retractor mounting pods, but the cars through 12/71 only had non retractible, 1/72 was the first month of the retractible. Good thing is that the retractible type can be fitted to these early 72 models

QUOTE(altitude411 @ Aug 23 2018, 08:57 AM) *

QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Aug 23 2018, 09:08 AM) *

Ok, I'd like to know what unique indentations you speak of 914Sixer on the front cross piece? i was under the impression that all early cars had the same cross panel?

'70-'72 as seen here http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...198600&st=0

Also, George, you say jack storage brackets are not in the front but in the left rear that distinguishes it as an early '72. This is new to me... are you saying early cars had the jack mount in the left rear and then the location switched after '72 to the front of the rear trunk? like between the targa latch cups? How are you estimating the manufacturing date to with-in a 4 month time slot?

Thank you both for clarifying... I am just trying to learn from those in the know. I appreciate your time/teachings.
914Sixer
Look at pictures 7 & 8 above the 1st & 2nd round plug hole , the indention in the cross piece looks like a large comma.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
yes exactly, this is a 70-72 front panel, they all have the comma. The late ones 73 74 have a larger flat next to the headlight buckets to give an additional support to the bumper guard and padded brace on the back of the 73 74 bumper

QUOTE(914Sixer @ Aug 23 2018, 10:24 AM) *

Look at pictures 7 & 8 above the 1st & 2nd round plug hole , the indention in the cross piece looks like a large comma.
peteyd
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Aug 23 2018, 09:38 AM) *

yes exactly, this is a 70-72 front panel, they all have the comma. The late ones 73 74 have a larger flat next to the headlight buckets to give an additional support to the bumper guard and padded brace on the back of the 73 74 bumper

QUOTE(914Sixer @ Aug 23 2018, 10:24 AM) *

OK ok, I thought you were saying that there was something specific about the 72 front latch panel.

But now I see you have narrowed it down to a 72 MY by identifying the front latch panel and the retractable seatbelt mount.

Pete
dr914@autoatlanta.com
I can usually tell if a 914 has been hit in the front end by looking at the inside of the front panel. In 1976 Porsche discontinued the earlier two front panel styles in favor of the 76 style, so many many insurance companies paid to install the 76 style panel (without the bumper shock holes) resulting in a car that no longer looked original
larryM
is the REAL point of this thread to allege a FRAUDULENT CAR?

OR - this needs to be moved to ORIGINALITY section if that's the point of the discussion

QUOTE(db9146 @ Aug 23 2018, 07:09 AM) *

it says "original 914-6" but I noticed (could have been mod'ed) ... retractable seat belt mounting points visible from the engine compartment photos.

what the hell? - circa mid-'90s i added retractable belts to my oem 1970 -6, & changed the backpad so i could have a movable right seat - i did it for PCA-TT & scca racing reasons -

there are threads about doing both from long ago on long-defunct 'boards
- it was about convenience & personalization improvements

- long before we became obsessed with the perfection of which screw-head should be oriented just so

johnhora
It's a nice lesson in the subtle differences in model years...thanks GH
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(johnhora @ Aug 24 2018, 12:33 PM) *

It's a nice lesson in the subtle differences in model years...thanks GH

Thank you for the kind words.

Many in the past have switched bodies in general as cars were seriously hit and or rusted, and switching the body gave a fresh palate for making a better car, that is why Porsche sold the bodies. Nothing wrong with doing it. What many do not realize with the 914 is although they look very similar (that is the body in blank) they are decidedly different, in subtile ways.
I will never forget the guy who rolled into our shop one day asking us if we could sell him a new 914-6 serial number plate as the body shop had thrown it away when the insurance company paid to repair his front end damage. Some woman had pulled out in front of him in his one owner original paint six and wiped off the front end.
One of the superior bodyshops in Atlanta back then took his car and actually clipped it behind the seats doing a nice job, and repainting the car. Problem was, they clipped a 1976 front section to the rear of a 1970 914-6 !!!!!!! The car was hopeless and there was NOTHING that could be done as the two pieces were so dissimilar. His car was ruined.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.