914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jjs3rd914
Have read many other posts on building oil pressure. new 2056 build

- no spark plugs installed
- mechanical gauge installed where the pressure switch would go
- Brad penn break in oil
- oil filter cracked
- But no push rods installed

Oil was puking from lose filter as is advised, so did tighten. Oil coming out of tube to gauge with pressure gauge not attached, but when attach, no pressure indication when cranking.

Did read hear and elsewhere that is good idea to NOT have push rods installed, as would prematurely wear off all the assembly lube on the cam and lifters. SO we do not have them installed.

Am now wondering that they might have to be installed to build pressure in the entire system. Am tired of spinning and spinning with no pressure build.

So what next. really do not want to installed the push rods if really not necessary as understand the wear concern.

Thanks

jjs3rd914
VaccaRabite
Why are you trying to spin the motor without pushrods and the oil filter cracked? You will not pressurize anything with big gaping holes present in your oil delivery path.

Zach
worn
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Aug 23 2018, 11:01 AM) *

Why are you trying to spin the motor without pushrods and the oil filter cracked? You will not pressurize anything with big gaping holes present in your oil delivery path.

Zach

Here is a diagram from a vw site. The piusrods and rockers have oil passages. If they aren’t in place you have a place for oil to flow out freely.
Click to view attachment
IronHillRestorations
I've never heard of anyone doing what you are doing.
76-914
The cam comes with a special heavy pre-lube agent you apply to the cam, bearings and lifters just so it won't grind/wear unnecessarily. beerchug.gif
TheCabinetmaker
Where the hell did you read that nonsense? I really want to know?
jjs3rd914
QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ Aug 23 2018, 11:22 AM) *

Where the hell did you read that nonsense? I really want to know?

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...with++raby++cam

3nd post although later in thread the push rod removal is recommended to be optional.

Anyhow am i process of installing the push rods and rockers, and will set the lash. Then will try again. We only cracked the oil filter until oil started to come out.

What's curious is can one really build pressure without the push rods and rockers in place?

Thanks

jjs3rd914

TheCabinetmaker
Stu very plainly says he uses that technique to prime the system. He did not say build pressure. Apples and oranges
jjs3rd914
QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ Aug 23 2018, 11:56 AM) *

Stu very plainly says he uses that technique to prime the system. He did not say build pressure. Apples and oranges

Well I guess my system is primed and will proceed. I have learned something

THANKS

jjs3rd 914.
jjs3rd914
Getting 40 psi on the starter rotation with valves adjusted and everything tight. SO hope by my misunderstanding I ended up getting a good prime.

Does 40psi sound about right when spinning on starter?

THANKS

jjs 3rd914
VaccaRabite
Yes.
With cold oil, you are going to get a lot of pressure at start up. I used to peg my pressure gauge at 80psi using Brad Penn20-50 at start up. As soon as it gets warm it thins out to a more usable pressure.

Rule of thumb is that you want to see 10psi for every 1000 rpm (hot).

Zach
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.