Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fiberglass fenders or flares?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bmtrnavsky
So, 3 of my 4 fenders have some degree of damage. I REALLY like the look of flared fenders, and was wondering how hard it is to install the fiberglass fenders or fender flares?

My fronts are pretty light damage and something I could fix pretty easily without using much bondo. Its just small dents I feel confident I could get out with a hammer and dolly.

My driver's side rear my ex-wife backed into and has some deeper dents I think will be more of a challenge to get out. That got me thinking maybe I should just put flared fenders on it. I'm not a great welder, but I do have experience with fiberglass and I think I could install those and make them look good. Doing so would also remove 85% of the bodywork I need on the fenders so that's a win, but I have a few questions.

First I can get fenders or flares. My car is a driver that sees spirited driving and 5-6 track days a year is the weight reduction worth it?

Is there going to be a loss of stiffness since I don't have a cage? I feel like this is the BIG drawback to fenders but I could be wrong.

finally how difficult are flares to install?

What about the fenders?
dr914@autoatlanta.com
always steel on the unibody. A good body man can do wonders straightening panels. THEN you can decide whether or not you want to install the GT flares

QUOTE(bmtrnavsky @ Aug 23 2018, 11:31 AM) *

So, 3 of my 4 fenders have some degree of damage. I REALLY like the look of flared fenders, and was wondering how hard it is to install the fiberglass fenders or fender flares?

My fronts are pretty light damage and something I could fix pretty easily without using much bondo. Its just small dents I feel confident I could get out with a hammer and dolly.

My driver's side rear my ex-wife backed into and has some deeper dents I think will be more of a challenge to get out. That got me thinking maybe I should just put flared fenders on it. I'm not a great welder, but I do have experience with fiberglass and I think I could install those and make them look good. Doing so would also remove 85% of the bodywork I need on the fenders so that's a win, but I have a few questions.

First I can get fenders or flares. My car is a driver that sees spirited driving and 5-6 track days a year is the weight reduction worth it?

Is there going to be a loss of stiffness since I don't have a cage? I feel like this is the BIG drawback to fenders but I could be wrong.

What about the fenders?
bmtrnavsky
GT flares mean new wheels too right? i have original alloy wheels with about thevwfidestvtire they can take. its tight in the stock opening bit not wide enough under flares... thoughts? anyone have photos of the instal process?

QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Aug 23 2018, 10:51 AM) *

always steel on the unibody. A good body man can do wonders straightening panels. THEN you can decide whether or not you want to install the GT flares

What about the fenders?

Optimusglen
Just in case you didn't already know, the fenders are not removable like a normal car, they are spot welded all the way around. So weather or not you do just the flares, or your entire fenders, you're going to be doing some welding.

Additionally, I'm not sure if there's anyone that offers full metal fenders with flares. I have only seen that with fiberglass.

I don't think there's anyone on here that would recommend fiberglass over metal on anything that's not a beater or a track car. Yes, when done right FG flares can look good and blend in and not crack. But even then, you'll always have FG flares.

And yes, doing flares means that you really need new wheels. Skipping that makes the car look far worse than if you'd just left it alone.

That said, it's your car and your bank account. Do what fulfills you.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
the down and dirty way to install wider wheels for the GT steel flares is to purchase four to five lug spacers and add a set of Boxster 996 997 993 later 944 968 wheels they can be purchased e bay quite cheaply. OR you can get the four to five lug spacers and install seven inch Fuchs replica wheels if you want the vintage look

QUOTE(bmtrnavsky @ Aug 23 2018, 09:39 PM) *

GT flares mean new wheels too right? i have original alloy wheels with about thevwfidestvtire they can take. its tight in the stock opening bit not wide enough under flares... thoughts? anyone have photos of the instal process?

QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Aug 23 2018, 10:51 AM) *

What about the fenders?

bmtrnavsky
I really appreciate your feedback... I have a pretty fat tire on right now and am lowered about an inch with springs. I like my wheels, and I don't think there is any body damage that is so bad it can't be fixed fairly easily...

What about using a fender rolling tool to just open them up a tiny bit. I'm talking like 1/2 inch?

Has anyone had good results with rolling the fenders just a bit? I do prefer a mostly stock look... But I am planning to give it a bit of a modern retro blend with some carbon fiber and brushed aluminum. Maybe just that little bit of shape would look good? Nothing rubs currently but it is VERY tight. I have a friend with one of these:

https://www.eastwood.com/ew-fender-roller-w-instruction.html

Actually, looking at the body lines on the fender lip, they appear to be difficult to roll as well...
dr914@autoatlanta.com
I would not distort the body. These cars are worth way too much to waste time doing it wrong. If the fenders are repairable, I would certainly do that make the body nice and the original color and then get wheels to fit the body not the other way around. People have actually installed 7,5 inch Boxster wheels with a 205 tire and a four to five lug wheel spacer conversion and the wheel tire combination fits just fine

QUOTE(bmtrnavsky @ Aug 24 2018, 09:44 AM) *

I really appreciate your feedback... I have a pretty fat tire on right now and am lowered about an inch with springs. I like my wheels, and I don't think there is any body damage that is so bad it can't be fixed fairly easily...

What about using a fender rolling tool to just open them up a tiny bit. I'm talking like 1/2 inch?

Has anyone had good results with rolling the fenders just a bit? I do prefer a mostly stock look... But I am planning to give it a bit of a modern retro blend with some carbon fiber and brushed aluminum. Maybe just that little bit of shape would look good? Nothing rubs currently but it is VERY tight. I have a friend with one of these:

https://www.eastwood.com/ew-fender-roller-w-instruction.html

Actually, looking at the body lines on the fender lip, they appear to be difficult to roll as well...
bmtrnavsky
Cool sounds good! I think you are right. Does original color matter that much? Mines yellow and I’d like to maybe go red or silver. If it’s a big hit on value though I do like the yellow.
GeorgeRud
Unless you’re doing a full rotisserie restoration, color changes always come off bad in my opinion. Besides, yellow cars are faster!
pvollma
QUOTE(bmtrnavsky @ Aug 24 2018, 12:44 PM) *

Here's what a good body man can do with a hammer and dolly. No bondo used, patient shaping to provide clearance for 7-inch rims and race tires on the rear (this picure shows the street tires I used for autocrossing). I didn't need the extra clearance in the front, but I'm sure the same could be done there.
Click to view attachment
914forme
And you can go even bigger in all metal. Tangerine Racing Flares or look for John Kelly Flares

I am not with George on this one, it is your car do what you want. It is all just F'in metal, and unlike wood it can be made shorter and then lengthed again, it can be stretched and shrunk, it can be shaped and reshaped, and then if you don't like it returned back to original.

And if you think it is a lost cause then I will tell you, you can bond fiberglass to steel with out issue. Modren epoxies have taken the issues out of the equation.

Here is about every kind of flare installed on a 914
bmtrnavsky
I think I will stick with the stock Saturn yellow, but I’ve looked at wrapping the top, mirrors, front and rear vallance, and under the doors in black carbon fiber. Then update the interior with a softer smoother leather, reshape the stock seats, and add some memory foam and give it a modern retro look with led lights etc...

QUOTE(914forme @ Aug 24 2018, 06:42 PM) *

And you can go even bigger in all metal. Tangerine Racing Flares or look for John Kelly Flares

I am not with George on this one, it is your car do what you want. It is all just F'in metal, and unlike wood it can be made shorter and then lengthed again, it can be stretched and shrunk, it can be shaped and reshaped, and then if you don't like it returned back to original.

And if you think it is a lost cause then I will tell you, you can bond fiberglass to steel with out issue. Modren epoxies have taken the issues out of the equation.

Here is about every kind of flare installed on a 914

arkitect
You mention reshaping the seats, that's a lot of work. If you do a search for 914 seats there are a ton of options out there but pricey. Don't know your budget.

Here is one example that I personally like.

Click to view attachment

Dave
Cairo94507
As has been mentioned, unless it is a dedicated track car, go real-deal-steel or not at all. My personal bias is when I see a street car w/fiberglass flares it drops the value a ton. I have yet to see one that is not all cracked up.

I like the GT flares and the Tangerine Racing flares that look as if you almost replace all the fenders. It is a real clean subtle looking flare. Good luck.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.