Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Pete's '75 914-4 Hobby Resto
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
menninghaus
So my dad and I just purchased a '75 914-4 2.0. The thing looks to be in pretty good condition. We're the second owners, previous owners parked it in the garage in 2004 as the fuel pump died and they didn't have the interest to fix it or the heart to sell it.

I have been tearing it down over the last few days, uncovering the glories of the 'hell hole', and our own rendition of it.

I'm wondering, where do I start in terms of repairing this frame and do I need to go as far as some other people on here that put it on a rotisserie.

Everything else on the car looks to be pretty sound except for some small holes and surface rust elsewhere.

looking down the hell hole
Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment

looking up into hell hole
Click to view attachment

bottom of rocker passenger side
Click to view attachment

altitude411
blink.gif Well, I can see why it was parked. Looks in need of some serious surgery. A rotisserie would make your life much easier. I think you are being very optimistic about your starting point. More photos are needed as well as a truck load of replacement sheet metal, and frequent flyer club card at Restoration Design. Good luck and welcome.png
mb911
The longitudinal should be done when the door gaps are braced. Once that's done you can cut out the bad stuff and start to add new material. Rotisserie is not required but really was for my project.
menninghaus
At this point I'm not sure i have a starting point. Trying to drop the engine without spending $200CAD on that Tangerine engine plate. Leaning towards the threaded rod method.

Here are all the pictures I've taken.
Let me know what other shots would help in assessing the rust.

Btw the other side is just as bad.

Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment[attachmentid=664
469]
bbrock
QUOTE(mb911 @ Aug 23 2018, 04:42 PM) *

The longitudinal should be done when the door gaps are braced. Once that's done you can cut out the bad stuff and start to add new material. Rotisserie is not required but really was for my project.

agree.gif You'll want to level the car with good support, brace the doors, and get those longs repaired before moving forward. Looks like you have a floor replacement in your future which is when you'll want it on the rotisserie. It's not as daunting as it seems. The daunting part is repairing those inner longs and whatever mess may be lurking at the suspension points. Plenty of help available on this forum though.

Good luck!
menninghaus
Just found out Restoration Design is only 40 minutes from my house haha nice smile.gif
burton73
Lucky that Restoration Design is close. You are going need some luck.
Spending 200 CAD is just the start. The good news is if you and your dad fix that little car and if you do a nice job you will get your money back and over the years you will make some. You might even make a lot if you listen to the advice of the guys here and your vision is not too far off the mainstream buyers of these cars.

Good luck and welcome to the 914 World.

Bob B
welcome.png welcome.png welcome.png
mepstein
The tangerine plate is nice, especially to raise the engine into the car but many people, including me, have dropped an engine with just a floor jack. Jack the rear wheels onto some car ramps. Place the floor jack under the trans and raise it up a bit. Loosen up everything. Place a furniture dolly onder the engine. Lower the engine and trans onto the furniture dolly. Roll it out from under the car.
porschetub
QUOTE(burton73 @ Aug 24 2018, 02:49 PM) *

Lucky that Restoration Design is close. You are going need some luck.
Spending 200 CAD is just the start. The good news is if you and your dad fix that little car and if you do a nice job you will get your money back and over the years you will make some. You might even make a lot if you listen to the advice of the guys here and your vision is not too far off the mainstream buyers of these cars.

Good luck and welcome to the 914 World.

Bob B
welcome.png welcome.png welcome.png

welcome.png sorry but looks like you will need their parts,talk to Pete ,knows 914's inside out and a frequent poster on here,good luck.
mbseto
Dolly for frame repair, rotisserie for paint. Just my opinion and I know others have done it either way. So that said, I'd start with building a dolly. It's a nice way to get the welding skills dusted off.
bretth
I got one of these jacks for engine removal. Great for my motorcycles too.
mepstein
You probably don’t want to put it down on a rotisserie until you fix the longs.
burton73
When I was in my 20s I just got it done with very simple tools.

Now that I am older and can afford tools and I like to buy them but you can get off cheap and sometime someone can loan you a special tool.

Lot of great techniques on line here. In the 70s we just had to use the over the counter repair book.

Bob B
TheCabinetmaker
I just use a floor jack. Easy. Loosen mount bolts, find the balance point, remove mount bolts, and lower jack.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.