Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Help with Setrab double stack dual fan install
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tailwind22
In process of installing a new old stock Raby 2370 in my 76 914. Looking to use a Setrab double stack dual fan oil cooler. Have searched posts and have ideas but am looking with someone that has done one. Want to mount flat against the bottom side of the rear trunk. Looks to be a tight fit so looking for comments/suggestions.
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(tailwind22 @ Aug 23 2018, 07:42 PM) *

In process of installing a new old stock Raby 2370 in my 76 914. Looking to use a Setrab double stack dual fan oil cooler. Have searched posts and have ideas but am looking with someone that has done one. Want to mount flat against the bottom side of the rear trunk. Looks to be a tight fit so looking for comments/suggestions.

How I did it.

Its behind the passenger axle.
IPB Image

I now have heat exchangers instead of the header, but it still fits perfectly in that location.

Zach
tailwind22
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Aug 23 2018, 05:01 PM) *

How I did it.

IPB Image

I now have heat exchangers instead of the header, but it still fits perfectly in that location.

Zach

Did you get the cooling you were looking for?
ValcoOscar
QUOTE(tailwind22 @ Aug 23 2018, 04:42 PM) *

I have the same oil cooler along w Raby 2270 installed under rear truck. No issues w overheating.

If you need close up pics let me know.

Oscar
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(tailwind22 @ Aug 24 2018, 10:19 AM) *

How I did it.

IPB Image

Zach

Oh yeah.
Oil temps went from around 250 to almost never going over 210.
Fans turn on at about 180 degrees.

Zach
SKL1
Maybe I'm crazy but won't those fans push the air the opposite direction of the normal flow when the car is moving? Am I missing something?
IronHillRestorations
not if they are pullers
Mike Bellis
Fans are more efficient when pulling. Less turbulence effect against the core.
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(SKL1 @ Aug 26 2018, 03:55 PM) *

Maybe I'm crazy but won't those fans push the air the opposite direction of the normal flow when the car is moving? Am I missing something?

The fans are set to pull air through the core.
And it works, really well. I've not had an issue with hot oil since installing.

Zach
9144me2enjoy
The double stack you guyes are using what model Setrab is it and is it a Series 9-20 row (16x6)? Thanks
MikeM
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Aug 26 2018, 06:47 PM) *

QUOTE(SKL1 @ Aug 26 2018, 03:55 PM) *

The fans are set to pull air through the core.
And it works, really well. I've not had an issue with hot oil since installing.

Zach

Zach...did you have any trouble with the oil lines when you installed the heat exchangers? How did you route the lines?
Thanks
tailwind22
QUOTE(9144me2enjoy @ Aug 26 2018, 06:29 PM) *

The double stack you guyes are using what model Setrab is it and is it a Series 9-20 row (16x6)? Thanks

That the one I plan on ordering.
9144me2enjoy
Thanks for the information, do you recommend any particular oil filter adapter? Thanks have a great day! driving.gif
tailwind22
QUOTE(9144me2enjoy @ Aug 27 2018, 07:09 AM) *

Thanks for the information, do you recommend any particular oil filter adapter? Thanks have a great day! driving.gif

I haven't figured that out yet. Was waiting to get some ideas before deciding on oil filter and hose routing.
SKL1
If they pull rather than push then it does make sense!

I used a sandwitch adapter with a built in 180 thermostat and made my own lines with parts from Summit Racing. Not that hard to make your own lines with threaded ends- then you can measure exactly what you need.

I haven't added the electric fan yet but just having the cooler helps a lot even in the hot weather in AZ though I don't drive either one a lot in the really not weather.Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
tailwind22
Thank you, the pictures are very helpful. What is the approximate dimensions of your cooler?
Mblizzard
QUOTE(SKL1 @ Aug 27 2018, 03:52 PM) *

I used a sandwitch adapter with a built in 180 thermostat and made my own lines with parts from Summit Racing. Not that hard to make your own lines with threaded ends- then you can measure exactly what you need.

I haven't added the electric fan yet but just having the cooler helps a lot even in the hot weather in AZ though I don't drive either one a lot in the really not weather.

As a note if you don't want to build the frame to get the cooler off the trunk floor, McMaster Carr makes a series of rubber spacers that will give a pretty good stand off and still supports the cooler very well.

Note there are 2 links above.
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Aug 26 2018, 01:27 PM) *

QUOTE(tailwind22 @ Aug 24 2018, 10:19 AM) *

How I did it.

IPB Image

Zach

Oh yeah.
Oil temps went from around 250 to almost never going over 210.
Fans turn on at about 180 degrees.

Zach

I put mine in the same location, just a single one, and the fan almost never runs, and still hardly ever go over 210 or really over 200 now.
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(SKL1 @ Aug 27 2018, 07:52 PM) *

I haven't added the electric fan yet but just having the cooler helps a lot even in the hot weather in AZ though I don't drive either one a lot in the really not weather.Click to view attachment Click to view attachment

almost the same thing on mine, installed by Chris Foley at Tangerine racing - he prefers to remove the stock oil cooler and put in aftermarket replacement and not the aux with sandwich adapter , he says ti increases the air flow over the cylinders on that side and increases the oil cooling capability - a win-win - but I went the cheaper rout with keeping the stock one and using the aux with an 180 thermostat and a adjustable fan thermostat.
Kansas 914
I installed the SET-920FP (Dual fan pack) with -10 AN oil lines from the sandwich adapter. Amazing the difference in temperatures when climbing the mountain passes here. I have Kerry Hunter headers so they sweepto the drivers side and collect there - leaving the passenger side under the trunk wide open.

Is there such a thing as too cool when driving? Seems I recall SLITS saying the motor "seals" at around 190 degrees or so (we were talking flat 6 at the time).
tailwind22
The reason for my original post is the area on the underneath of the trunk seems like it is going to be a pretty tight fit to mount the 16x6 oil cooler flat. My engine and tranny are not in yet and still seems like its going to be tight. Thus the reason I really wanted to see a pic of the double fan Setrab mounted flat.
tailwind22
I would like to try to revive this thread and thanks to those that responded. Again looking to mount a Setrab double stack, dual fan oil cooler flat against the bottom of the trunk. My engine and tranny are not in yet and mocking up the 16" x 6.5" Setrab size, it looks difficult to squeeze it in. Hoping to see some pics from someone who has one mounted there. Thanks.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.