Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rear Porterfield Brake Pad Installation
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
saigon71
I'm working on replacing my old rear brake pads with a new set of Porterfields. The problem is that the old ones have one larger hole to accommodate the retaining pin that is a larger diameter.

In the pics, the lower pad is the old one, porterfields are on top.

Do these differ by model year? Do I need to "hog out" that hole on the porterfields?

Thanks.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

TheCabinetmaker
I've seen it many times with different pads. Just ream it out.
914Sixer
Brake pads fit LOTS of European cars. Been that way for years. Just make it bigger.
brant
I bored out the hole on my current set of portefields (street car)
no long term problems as a result
914_teener
I'd get a new pin as well.

steuspeed
Yup. same thing on my Porterfields. Hog one out. I bought a metal removal grinding bit at ACE hardware.
Eric_Shea
From the AP30 Rear Pad Landing page on our site:

***These require enlargement of one retaining pin hole***

And the story behind the pin holes - Because 914 rear calipers do not have the 20 degree piston notch, original pads were actually chamfered to angle in the face of the oncoming rotor. Because the pads were directional in the past, ATE had the two pins made at different sizes to ensure the pads would be installed in the proper direction. Pads are no longer chamfered and they no longer (for the most part) come with the "914 only" backing plates. The solution is to simply drill out one of the holes on your pads to match or, take your "fat pins" in to a machinist and have the larger pad rests machined off them. Is it a big deal not having chamfered pads? Will my brakes squeal now? Not really. If you follow the proper bedding procedures on our site you will be squeal free (and no... goops and gums and sprays don't work, bedding your pads properly will be the best way to eliminate squeal from your new pads).
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.