Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Flipping a 915?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
amfab
I am a way out from mechanicals—I am still doing chassis repair—but I was asking my mechanic some questions about my future 3.2 install about how we will mount the 915 transmission—we will figure out a cable shifter—but my concern is how to physically mount the transmission to the chassis. Patrick Motorsports is no longer making the tubular steel 915 mount—they now use the Wevo end casting/Kit for their builds . I really do not want to spend 2500 bucks on the Wevo part if I am doing a cable shifter.

Anyway, my mechanic said he saw someone who runs the 915 upside down and fabbed a conversion mount. Has anyone heard of this?
Thanks

-Andrew
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(amfab @ Aug 24 2018, 01:52 PM) *

I am a way out from mechanicals—I am still doing chassis repair—but I was asking my mechanic some questions about my future 3.2 install about how we will mount the 915 transmission—we will figure out a cable shifter—but my concern is how to physically mount the transmission to the chassis. Patrick Motorsports is no longer making the tubular steel 915 mount—they now use the Wevo end casting/Kit for their builds . I really do not want to spend 2500 bucks on the Wevo part if I am doing a cable shifter.

Anyway, my mechanic said he saw someone who runs the 915 upside down and fabbed a conversion mount. Has anyone heard of this?
Thanks

-Andrew

Why would you try to run it upside down? The mounting holes are NOT symmetrical, so you would have to weld up and re-drill the bell housing to hook it to the engine. then you would have to plug the vent and re-drill it on the bottom. You would have the clutch linkage on top, and the cable won't reach. And you still have to make a mount for it.

Way too much work for so little gain. Just make a mount. It would be a lot less work.

SirAndy
They line up pretty well, just make a cradle mount that uses the stock 915 mounts and goes up to the 914 chassis mount locations.

That's the plan for my 915, which will also be cable shifted ...
smash.gif
mepstein
That’s a bummer that they stopped making the tubular mount. I bought one last year for my conversion to go with my cable shifter. I would make a mount rather that flip the trans.
SirAndy
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Aug 24 2018, 12:23 PM) *

They line up pretty well, just make a cradle mount that uses the stock 915 mounts and goes up to the 914 chassis mount locations.

That's the plan for my 915, which will also be cable shifted ...
smash.gif

Not mine, but you get the idea ...
amfab
QUOTE(mepstein @ Aug 24 2018, 12:26 PM) *

That’s a bummer that they stopped making the tubular mount. I bought one last year for my conversion to go with my cable shifter. I would make a mount rather that flip the trans.

I may be bugging you for specs on that mount in the near future—and for info on how you are doing your cable shifter

-Andrew
mepstein
I purchased this shifter.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...l=Cable+shifter
burton73
Hi Andrew,

Come on by my shop and you can look at my 930 flip set up. I use the factory 930 bracket. Vent is moved to the top and I will use a hydraulic clutch. Easy to see all of it on the rotisserie.

Bob B
GeorgeRud
I’d think it would easier to just flip the ring and pinion, use the 911 trans support as a base, and fab up some arms to reach the 914 mounts.
larryM
long ago PMS was apparently "flipping" G-50 trans for 914 - but about the time i got a G50 with my '89 3,2 , they'd gave it up - said it was too complicated & expensive - so, i sold the G50

one of the relevant concerns is whether the ring will pick up oil & gears oil correctly if the trans is upside down, not to mention having to experiment with oil level & filler location

HalfMoon
QUOTE(mepstein @ Aug 24 2018, 04:13 PM) *

Did you ever figure out what this was for?
amfab
Eyeahh, from what everyone is saying it looks like the flipping thing is not the easier solution.
Bob, I am still trying to find some time to get down and see your car.

-Andrew
mepstein
QUOTE(HalfMoon @ Aug 27 2018, 11:06 AM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Aug 24 2018, 04:13 PM) *

Did you ever figure out what this was for?

Mark Henry
QUOTE(larryM @ Aug 27 2018, 12:31 AM) *

long ago PMS was apparently "flipping" G-50 trans for 914 - but about the time i got a G50 with my '89 3,2 , they'd gave it up - said it was too complicated & expensive - so, i sold the G50

one of the relevant concerns is whether the ring will pick up oil & gears oil correctly if the trans is upside down, not to mention having to experiment with oil level & filler location

The kit supercar guys do this.
Thing with flipping is it makes the output stubs higher, great for a extreme lowered car, not so great for stock or slightly lowered. You also have to machine in oil slingers as the factory ones are facing the wrong way when flipped. Or you can install a pump/spray bar affair.
I've seen it done, a lot more to it than just flipping.

G50 930 don't have enough meat on the case to machine for flipping the diff like in a 901/914/911 and 915 tranny.
Reason the guys flip the whole tranny for a mid engine app.
burton73
930 trans with a $7,500. Full rework by GBox. Set up for oil pump. Even though GBox said it would not need it Ian, (Army dude) the PO went full house on it. Black breather is just under the paper tag on the hydraulic clutch. Electrical Speedo drive

Bob B

Click to view attachment
ClayPerrine
That works great for V8 cars or kit cars. You already have an adapter plate to connect the engine to the transmission. So you don't have to weld up the bell housing and re-drill the mounting holes as you would have to do to hook it to a 911 motor.

You will have less work flipping the diff in a 915 and making a rear mount.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.