Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: A public thank you
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Robnxious
I was swinging by the East Bay today to pick up a relay board I bought from Mueller on here, and sure enough, I stop to grab a coke since I was running about 15 minutes early, and the car wouldn't start when I get back. Call Mike and he comes out, we finally get the car started and head back to his place since he thinks it's the starter. He pulls the one off the build he has going, and hoists my car up and changes it for me. And when I tried to pay him more for the help he gave, he told me forget about it.

Mike, I just wanted to say sincerely, thank you my man, I owe you big time. Made it home, and didn't stall. Now, it wouldn't start after I had it sit for awhile, but I'm thinking Mark Henry's solenoid fix is up next on my list.

Thanks for being a life saver, and I will be getting that new starter to you post haste
Coondog
Stand up guy for sure...... smilie_pokal.gif
marksteinhilber
QUOTE(Robnxious @ Aug 25 2018, 08:30 PM) *

I was swinging by the East Bay today to pick up a relay board I bought from Mueller on here, and sure enough, I stop to grab a coke since I was running about 15 minutes early, and the car wouldn't start when I get back. Call Mike and he comes out, we finally get the car started and head back to his place since he thinks it's the starter. He pulls the one off the build he has going, and hoists my car up and changes it for me. And when I tried to pay him more for the help he gave, he told me forget about it.

Mike, I just wanted to say sincerely, thank you my man, I owe you big time. Made it home, and didn't stall. Now, it wouldn't start after I had it sit for awhile, but I'm thinking Mark Henry's solenoid fix is up next on my list.

Thanks for being a life saver, and I will be getting that new starter to you post haste

Clip on a remote starter switch and leave it connected with trigger in engine compartment. This will save you until you finally chase down the bad connection or find it somehow related to the ignition key switch. I still have my spare trigger there.
Mueller

Nice meeting you today Rob,

It was no big deal working on your car..it did give me motivation to get that Quickjack lift I've been eying so tonight I printed out the spec sheet for the model I want and stuck it onto the fridge for the wife to see smile.gif

Don't worry about replacing my starter, I gave you an old unit so no biggie, I'll test this one before I throw it on my car.

I did notice the solderless terminal (yellow wire, was a tad loose on the male tab on the starter, I did crimp it a bit.

What I was thinking about doing to mine now is to splice into the yellow starter wire and add another solderless terminal to one of the other tabs. I know they go to the same spot on the solenoid however this would give you more surface area for the current with 2 terminals.

No work on my 914 today, I went back into the house and watched some cheesy romance movies with my twins and am now cleaning up the garage...so much cr@p!

PS, my neighbor Mike that you met brought home a brand new CRV Honda after dropping off his van to the dealership.

Nice thread about the relay board:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=226061
Mueller
QUOTE(marksteinhilber @ Aug 25 2018, 09:08 PM) *

Clip on a remote starter switch and leave it connected with trigger in engine compartment. This will save you until you finally chase down the bad connection or find it somehow related to the ignition key switch. I still have my spare trigger there.

Good idea!
arkitect
Mike is one of the good ones here.

I wish he was closer to me to give me his insight on my project.

Dave
Robnxious
QUOTE(Mueller @ Aug 25 2018, 09:50 PM) *

Nice meeting you today Rob,

It was no big deal working on your car..it did give me motivation to get that Quickjack lift I've been eying so tonight I printed out the spec sheet for the model I want and stuck it onto the fridge for the wife to see smile.gif

Don't worry about replacing my starter, I gave you an old unit so no biggie, I'll test this one before I throw it on my car.

I did notice the solderless terminal (yellow wire, was a tad loose on the male tab on the starter, I did crimp it a bit.

What I was thinking about doing to mine now is to splice into the yellow starter wire and add another solderless terminal to one of the other tabs. I know they go to the same spot on the solenoid however this would give you more surface area for the current with 2 terminals.

No work on my 914 today, I went back into the house and watched some cheesy romance movies with my twins and am now cleaning up the garage...so much cr@p!

PS, my neighbor Mike that you met brought home a brand new CRV Honda after dropping off his van to the dealership.

Nice thread about the relay board:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=226061

I think that starter MAY still be good Mike, I am leaning more to the hot start issue, since the more I think about it, EVERY time that the car has trouble starting like it did yesterday, is after it's been out running for awhile. I ordered the solenoid last night when I ordered the starter (which I just got notification that I was successfully able to cancel).

When I got home, my mother in law was waiting for me, having volunteered me to set up her new phone and transfer all the settings, so got done w/ that around 5, so I never got to my list of things to do in the backyard. Yesterday was just one of those days where nothing goes the way it's planned, but it all works out in the end.

I think I am going to look into that remote starter option too. I really need to fix this, or limit my drives to ones where I never stop the engine until I get home! headbang.gif

Thanks again Mike, I truly appreciated it!
worn

My switch is the end of a wire. I touch it to the battery post. Crude it is.
Mike Bellis
Mueller is one of the good guys. first.gif
Mueller
QUOTE(worn @ Aug 26 2018, 09:07 AM) *

I think I have you beat....for my V6 conversion and other plans down the road I cut out my rear trunk floor so I can just reach in there with a screwdriver to short out the hot terminal with the starter terminal
cali914
QUOTE(Mueller @ Aug 26 2018, 11:32 AM) *

QUOTE(worn @ Aug 26 2018, 09:07 AM) *

I think I have you beat....for my V6 conversion and other plans down the road I cut out my rear trunk floor so I can just reach in there with a screwdriver to short out the hot terminal with the starter terminal

Yeah I feel like i am getting to old for all this crawling on the ground back yard wrenching. LOLOLOLOL> agree.gif
914bub
Yup. I picked up a free 1.7 core engine he was giving away. Hell of a nice guy. Wish I was closer to him especially with his current project going. When I bought my wife's 2007 Pilot the first thing I thought was man I'd like a Honda V6 in my 914. Can't wait to see that in person.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.