914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bandjoey
From Facebook post.
Chip
QUOTE(bandjoey @ Aug 25 2018, 09:46 PM) *

From Facebook post.

confused24.gif Anyone hurt?
Dave_Darling
FB post said the driver did not see an oncoming car (blocked by a sign) and pulled into the intersection. Driver is banged up and has cuts from broken glass but is generally OK; passenger is OK. Both were evidently wearing five-point belts.

--DD
Mikey914
look in the engine compartment. See how the top of the 5 point is secured? I'm sure it wouldn't pull through, but I had the same on the 72 I bought.
sixnotfour
sad.gif
Coondog
Very lucky driver, couple more feet forward and it would not have been good. The little bit of extra strength they put into the 73 and above doors isn’t going to help out in T- Bone accidents.
daytona
Yup, lucky driver.
Looking at the damage on the right side of the car it looks like the rear is twisted. This car is going to need to be put on a jig bench.
Looks like a nice car, too bad it had to sustain this kind of damage. Hopefully the car is well insured so it can be repaired properly.
Bill.
Cairo94507
Sad. Glad injuries were apparently minor. I hope that car is able to be repaired.
sithot
This is a total loss where no insurance company is going to pony up what it would take to fix it properly. It will cost more than the car is worth. It's not a Ferrari.
They'll cash him out for whatever agreed value is.

Attrition takes another one out.

118,978 - 1
daytona
I think the car can be salvaged. Half a day or less on a jig bench will straighten the car.
Replacing the rear quarters will take a bit more work. Off course it will depend on the owner if he wants to take the payout or get it repaired. As mentioned earlier, hopefully the car is well insured preferably with one of the insurance companies that specialize in classic cars.
Bill.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(daytona @ Aug 26 2018, 12:11 PM) *

I think the car can be salvaged. Half a day or less on a jig bench will straighten the car.
Replacing the rear quarters will take a bit more work. Off course it will depend on the owner if he wants to take the payout or get it repaired. As mentioned earlier, hopefully the car is well insured preferably with one of the insurance companies that specialize in classic cars.
Bill.

@McMark ??
rhodyguy
Less than 4 hours on a jig? Days taking it apart. $20k+ for the rest of the work? + what ever it takes to drag a stripped chassis to the bench and home. Prob wind up with a dreaded salvage title. At times you have to surrender to the reality of the situation.
rgalla9146
That's a bunch o' damage.
Check the bow of the trunk lock panel
mepstein
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Aug 26 2018, 11:23 AM) *

Less than 4 hours on a jig? Days taking it apart. $20k+ for the rest of the work? + what ever it takes to drag a stripped chassis to the bench and home. Prob wind up with a dreaded salvage title. At times you have to surrender to the reality of the situation.

agree.gif it’s not an inexpensive repair.
sixnotfour
back on the road in Lithuania .. driving.gif
crashed in WA. state, ins total, co-part auction, went for a boat ride
sithot
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Aug 26 2018, 12:14 PM) *

back on the road in Lithuania .. driving.gif
crashed in WA. state, ins total, co-part auction, went for a boat ride

Much easier repair! I'm guessing the Lithuanian authorities care less about it's heritage. Clean "paper"! piratenanner.gif

Lots of garbage scows went to Europe when the Euro was strong. Some weren't even wrecked. biggrin.gif
IronHillRestorations
Looks like John Forbes in the picture.
BIGKAT_83
QUOTE(IronHillRestorations @ Aug 26 2018, 01:31 PM) *

Looks like John Forbes in the picture.

agree.gif
And that's his wife
Larmo63
That car looks done to me...... barf.gif
Larmo63
That car looks done to me...... barf.gif
jim_hoyland
This 914 came to life after a nasty crash in Malaysia.....
HAM Inc
That happened on the way out of the Union County Dragway in SC. Oddly enough, I was there yesterday (Sat) with my dad and a friend for a car show. Traffic was backed up at the exit when we tried to leave. I couldn't believe it when we finally got through and saw that the crash involved a 914?! Made me sad for the owner, as it looked like a nice car. I told the guys I figured this would somehow make it on World. Glad to read that everyone's okay. If that had been a shot in the door I don't think that would be the case

The powers that be need to improve that intersection. Visibility is not good.
914_teener
Wow.

Good thing it caught the B pillar square.

Hope everyone recovers, including the car.

This is why I upped my insurance. 20k min body off to fix it.
EdwardBlume
Glad to know the occupants are OK> screw the car, its replaceable.
naro914
Owner is Gunther Brickler, friend of mine (and of course John Forbes). He was so excited to bring a street legal 914 to Okteenerfest this year - those that were at Okteenerfest last year know him - he had the white 911 with turbo flares. He bought this from another friend, it was pretty much a street legal race car (seats, harnesses, fuel cell, roll cage, etc). Gunther was making it more street because he already has a very sweet Vintage legal 914 he built himself.

He's fine - cuts, bruises, a bit sore, but nothing broken or badly damaged (on him).

He'll still be at Okteenerfest...with the 911 again.
McMark
:omg: That's my worst nightmare... pinch.gif

If there's anything I can do to help Gunther, just ask.
billh1963
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Aug 26 2018, 11:23 AM) *

agree.gif
dr914@autoatlanta.com
I agree 914s are fairly easily pulled around and realigned

QUOTE(daytona @ Aug 26 2018, 08:11 AM) *

Bill.

r_towle
A tough little car!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.