Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: how to adjust the alignment of the trunk hinge
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DRPHIL914
So how can this be adjusted- the hinges were replaced by Tangerine Racing a couple years ago with the aftermarket JWest ones. i dont remember that happening thought until after i got the car back from paint. probably only need about a 1/8” shift backward.
PanelBilly
I need a picture
IronHillRestorations
I don't know about the J West hinge pieces, but the welded hinge pivots have to correctly located or getting the trunk lid aligned with take lots of futzing and cussing.

I"m with Billy, a picture is worth a thousand words. What I do, assuming that everything is where it should be, is to snug up the rear lid bolts just to the point where it can be moved, close it, and then coax it into alignment
jim_hoyland
Having just installed the JWest replacement hinge kit, I can see how this could have happened. I followed the JWest instructions to a T ( they are posted on his web site ). After removing the OEM brackets, I attached the trunk hinges to the JWest brackets. Then with the trunk centered and closed marked the new holes, carefully keeping the bracket at the correct angle ( very important step)
Bolted both sides up and came out perfect
Post a picture of your bracket so we can see how it’s positioned
jim_hoyland

914 Rear Trunk Hinge Pivot Kit
Installation Instructions:
1. Do one side at a time. Keep the trunk lid in place so it can be used for proper placement of the hinge.
2. Disconnect the trunk hinge torsion bar. The 914 Haynes manual describes one method to do this, BE CAREFUL as the torsion bars pack a lot of energy.
3. Unbolt the trunk hinge from the trunk and remove the pivot bolt. The trunk hinge may now be removed from the car (this is a good time to clean and paint if desired).
4. Drill out and/or grind off the spot welds that hold the trunk pivot mount to the engine compartment side wall. Remove the mount and clean and paint the area.
5. Install the new trunk pivot onto the trunk hinge (off the car). The head of the bolt should be toward the engine and the nut will be against the heim joint. Tighten securely.
6. Reinstall the hinge on the rear trunk, centering the bolts in the slotted holes to give maximum future adjustability.
7. The new pivot will now be against the side wall. Carefully adjust the trunk for perfect fore/aft and vertical position. Rotate the rear bolts so they are parallel to the closest edge of the hinge (see picture).

Go to: http://www.jwesteng.com/shop/instructions/...nstructions.pdf to see the picture !

8. Mark and drill the wall through the two rear holes and the upper front hole using a 11/32” drill bit. The drill bit size is not critical - smaller or larger bits will increase or decrease the amount of adjustability.
9. Install the forward upper bolt and rear lower bolt. Jack up the car to get clearance around the tire, and test fit the back-up plate on the bolts. A small amount of undercoating and sealant may need to be removed to allow the plate to sit flush. Install the plate and secure with nuts on the two bolts.
10. Now that the hinge is locked in place, open the trunk (a support may be needed to hold the trunk open). There is now access to drill the final hole.
11. Remove the hinge and paint the mounting area to prevent rust.
12. Reinstall the hinge and repeat for the opposite side.
13. Reinstall the torsion bars (metal rollers are recommended) or install an aftermarket trunk shock kit.
This product comes with no warranties of any kind, including warranty of fitness for intended purpose. The user assumes all risk of property damage and/or personal injury arising from the use of this product. Any liability on the part of the manufacturer and/or seller of this product is expressly limited to replacement of the product.
Copyright © 2004 – JWest Engineering
jim_hoyland
Step 7 appears to be most critical......just looked at mine again
DRPHIL914
Jim, thanks for the input. we were out late last night and didn't get a picture, but i will tonight. I hope i can make a slight adjustment with out having to remove the torsion bars and all that to realign this, but i will if necessary. The hinges were mounted by tangerine racing 2 years ago, and i don't remember that hinge hitting but it could have and maybe i didn't notice it. the painter removed the trunk lid to strip it and repaint it, but left the hinges all in the same spot and says they didn't do any alignment. I will get a picture tonight of both sides so its more clear where the contact is.

jim_hoyland
You may be able to adjust the position of the bracket by enlarging the holes and shift the bracket over a bit. Since it through bolted, seems like a possibility - if it’s only off a little.
Also check that center pivot bolt, it has to be tight
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.