Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Side mirror
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
milwlandrover
Both my '73 and '71 have crummy rubber adjustable side mirrors. what did the originals look like. I have seen pictures with round and rectangle and although both of my cars have (2) mirrors, I think the originals only had (1)
ConeDodger
All years look like this...

Passenger side mirrors were required in some markets and available in all I think. The door already has the threaded nut in place.
mepstein
Early mirror has a hard bend. Mid year and later has a softer curve
ConeDodger
True, there were changes. But short of dumpster diving at the pick n pull or hanging out in the classified, you’ll only find late mirrors.
GaroldShaffer
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Aug 26 2018, 05:36 PM) *

True, there were changes. But short of dumpster diving at the pick n pull or hanging out in the classified, you’ll only find late mirrors.

Early mirror shades.gif
mepstein
idea.gif
johnhora
The mirror glass is also just slightly larger in the late style.
tmc914
While on the subject of mirrors...
My passenger side is like a magnifying glass. It is almost unusable. Most mirrors say "objects may be closer..." mine should say ..."Objects appear closer...". Are there two styles of mirror?
mepstein
QUOTE(tmc914 @ Sep 7 2018, 08:32 PM) *

My passenger side is like a magnifying glass. It is almost unusable. Most mirrors say "objects may be closer..." mine should say ..."Objects appear closer...". Are there two styles of mirror?

You can always replace the glass with a regular piece.
tmc914
[/quote]
[/quote]

Did not think of that, will have to put on my to do list. Thanks.
mepstein
[quote name='tmc914' date='Sep 7 2018, 09:02 PM' post='2646589']
[/quote]
[/quote]

Did not think of that, will have to put on my to do list. Thanks.
[/quote]
914rubber has both sizes of glass. If you decide to switch it out, don't use a flat blade screwdriver to remove the plastic ring. It damages the edge of the stainless steel but do lube up the spring and nut located behind the mirror, under the base and all the pivot points on the arm.
Valy
QUOTE(mepstein @ Sep 7 2018, 11:42 AM) *

idea.gif

That is evidence of 21 murdered teeners!
mepstein
QUOTE(Valy @ Sep 7 2018, 09:34 PM) *

idea.gif

That is evidence of 21 murdered teeners!

Some give their lives so others might live.
Larmo63
I like the look of the earlier mirrors better.

But that's me.

Click to view attachment

marksteinhilber
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Sep 7 2018, 06:50 PM) *

I like the look of the earlier mirrors better.

But that's me.

Click to view attachment

I thought your favorite were those mustang mirrors!
Kaeferfreund
@ mepstein

Is there some "interior" inside the mirror? Or just the glas and the plastic retaining ring/mirror gasket? Any differences between the early and the late style mirror interior?
mepstein
QUOTE(Kaeferfreund @ Sep 18 2018, 04:02 PM) *

@ mepstein

Is there some "interior" inside the mirror? Or just the glas and the plastic retaining ring/mirror gasket? Any differences between the early and the late style mirror interior?

Yes, the interior gaskets that hold the glass are different. I don't have them in front of me now but I'm sure there are pics online. You do need the interior gasket/spacer or the glass will rattle.
Dave_Darling
There's a thread around here that shows the inside of the mirror. It's the metal case, a clear-ish soft plastic spacer, the glass, and the black retaining ring. The thread might be in the Parts Vault forum?

--DD
FlacaProductions
Passenger and drivers mirror are the same, correct? Just one part number?
mepstein
QUOTE(FlacaProductions @ Sep 18 2018, 09:51 PM) *

Passenger and drivers mirror are the same, correct? Just one part number?

There was a different passenger mirror with a curved lens (that not everyone likes). 99% just take a driver side and flip it.

If you buy a used mirror, don't force it to move at the joints. They are often dry and corroded. Try dripping some light lube to see if you can get it moving again. If it won't move easily, take the mirror apart, clean and lube all the hardware. I have 20 mirrors and half of them have a little bulge at the back of the mirror because too much pressure was used to adjust the mirror.
FlacaProductions
Thanks, mepstein - good tips.
Also - I found good info on the minutiae of mirrors here: http://www.p914.com/p914_mirrors.htm
euro911
My mirror looks like this laugh.gif

Click to view attachment
Kaeferfreund
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Sep 19 2018, 03:38 AM) *

There's a thread around here that shows the inside of the mirror. It's the metal case, a clear-ish soft plastic spacer, the glass, and the black retaining ring. The thread might be in the Parts Vault forum?

--DD

Would be helpful to find it confused24.gif

Is there anybody who offers some reproductions of the plastic spacer for early mirrors? I didn't find one....

914Rubber ?
AA ?
mepstein
QUOTE(Kaeferfreund @ Sep 19 2018, 04:16 PM) *

--DD

Is there anybody who offers some reproductions of the plastic spacer for early mirrors? I didn't find one....

914Rubber ?
AA ?

I have not seen it for sale but I need about 18 of them.

I’m pretty sure the spacer that is a thin white frame is for the late mirror and the white full rectangular spacer is early.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
we make the black surround in 5 and 5.25 out of a silicone mold so it works but is not so pretty

QUOTE(Kaeferfreund @ Sep 19 2018, 01:16 PM) *

--DD

914Rubber ?
AA ?

mepstein
Does anyone make the white spacers. They seem to have a shorter lifespan than the black surround. Most of mine have crumbled away.
@mikey914

QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Sep 19 2018, 05:11 PM) *

we make the black surround in 5 and 5.25 out of a silicone mold so it works but is not so pretty

--DD

914Rubber ?
AA ?

GaroldShaffer
QUOTE(mepstein @ Sep 19 2018, 04:14 PM) *

Does anyone make the white spacers. They seem to have a shorter lifespan than the black surround. Most of mine have crumbled away.
@mikey914

QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Sep 19 2018, 05:11 PM) *

--DD

914Rubber ?
AA ?

agree.gif I could use about 6+ of those white spacers myself.
orthobiz
QUOTE(tmc914 @ Sep 7 2018, 08:32 PM) *

There's something about the magnification that occurs when you use a regular mirror on the passenger side, always seems to look enlarged, I agree. I didn't know that true passenger mirror were available with different glass..

According to Brad Mayeur, you could ask the dealer back in the day to put a passenger mirror on when the cars were new. When I refreshed my two original paint cars, I elected to leave them alone without adding the passenger mirror. I love the visibility compared to modern cars and don't seem to miss them.

mepstein's picture of all the mirrors made me smile!

Paul
seanery
I have a handful of mirrors that need restored, so I could use some as well!
euro911
Just a thought ... maybe someone could shoot a decent sample to Mark Whitesell to see it they could be easily reproduced confused24.gif
mepstein
QUOTE(euro911 @ Sep 19 2018, 10:21 PM) *

Just a thought ... maybe someone could shoot a decent sample to Mark Whitesell to see it they could be easily reproduced confused24.gif

I'd be happy to. I'm sure I have at least one good sample of both types.
Mikey914
Yep more than happy to do so. Just need a good sample.
-Mark
euro911
thumb3d.gif

I have a couple of mirrors that could benefit from new innards cool_shades.gif
Kaeferfreund
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Sep 20 2018, 06:59 AM) *

-Mark

Mark, that sound's good. Now I hope anybody from the 914world community delivers the patterns you need.
If you are able to reproduce those missing parts for the early style mirrors, you will get an order from abroad,too.

Greetings from smilie_flagge6.gif
mepstein
QUOTE(Kaeferfreund @ Sep 21 2018, 01:38 AM) *

-Mark

Mark, that sound's good. Now I hope anybody from the 914world community delivers the patterns you need.
If you are able to reproduce those missing parts for the early style mirrors, you will get an order from abroad,too.

The thin border spacer is the early smaller mirror. Most of mine are cracked or in pieces or brittle and ready to crumble.

One of each is in the mail to 914rubber.
Jett

idea.gif

Hello, do you happen to have an early mirror for sale? my mirror’s internal bolt and stud are stripped.

cheers
mepstein
QUOTE(Jett @ Sep 21 2018, 11:13 AM) *

idea.gif

Hello, do you happen to have an early mirror for sale? my mirror’s internal bolt and stud are stripped.

cheers

Like most of what I buy, these are projects. I'm not going to sell anything until I go through each mirror and figure out what's usable and in good shape. I know I need about 20 to make 5 good pairs for myself. I would call Garold, Bdstone, camp914 or 914 limited if your mirror is good but you just need the parts. Many of my mirrors have a bulge in the back from trying to turn the mirror by force or a crack in the shell near the arm from using a screwdriver to remove the black outer seal. These mirrors can be fully serviced and made to work and look like new but they need care or they lock up and forcing them to move will break them. Pretty much the same goes for the rest of the car....
euro911
QUOTE(mepstein @ Sep 21 2018, 05:55 AM) *
The thin border spacer is the early smaller mirror. Most of mine are cracked or in pieces or brittle and ready to crumble.

Thanks, Mark E. ... and Mark W. beerchug.gif
... Mark S.

I guess I'll have to dig up my old mirrors so I can order the correct inserts for them (I think I have both early & late ones) unsure.gif
Kaeferfreund
QUOTE(mepstein @ Sep 21 2018, 02:55 PM) *

-Mark

Well, I understand it that way, that the early style ones just have the border space. Until now I thought they also had a more stable interior.
So, wouldn't it be better to create a more stable one like that for the late style mirrors (lHS of your pic) for this ones , too? Would be an improved repro then. idea.gif
mepstein
QUOTE(Kaeferfreund @ Sep 21 2018, 05:09 PM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Sep 21 2018, 02:55 PM) *

-Mark

Well, I understand it that way, that the early style ones just have the border space. Until now I thought they also had a more stable interior.
So, wouldn't it be better to create a more stable one like that for the late style mirrors (lHS of your pic) for this ones , too? Would be an improved repro then. idea.gif

I don’t have it in my hand but it’s not just a flat spacer. It has a ridge that holds the glass in place. I don’t thank no we need better, just need the right piece.
Kaeferfreund
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Sep 20 2018, 05:59 AM) *

-Mark

Mark,

what's the current status of that reproduction? Any -good- news?
mepstein
QUOTE(Kaeferfreund @ Nov 13 2018, 03:45 PM) *

-Mark

Mark,

I did send mikey/mark a sample of both inner and outer plastic pieces.
I have plenty of outer frames since they don't seem to fall apart like the inners but they are sure a lot of work to reinstall. I wonder if they harden up over time.
Kaeferfreund
QUOTE(mepstein @ Nov 13 2018, 10:08 PM) *

QUOTE(Kaeferfreund @ Nov 13 2018, 03:45 PM) *

-Mark

Mark,

I did send mikey/mark a sample of both inner and outer plastic pieces.
I have plenty of outer frames since they don't seem to fall apart like the inners but they are sure a lot of work to reinstall. I wonder if they harden up over time.

Hi!
I have a follow up question to your hint :
" If you decide to switch it out, don't use a flat blade screwdriver to remove the plastic ring. It damages the edge of the stainless steel (understood)....but do lube up the spring and nut located behind the mirror, under the base and all the pivot points on the arm."

So if a screwdriver isn't such a good idea, how could you remove the old mirror glas without damaging neither the metal casing nor the plastic holders and the black rubber sealing ring? Any pictures here or in another discussion?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.